Snow..

Marmite!!

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brighton is White! YAY! B&H buses have pulled all services! so I get paid to do nothing!

Was a touch uneasy in Coldean having a 20tonne laiden bus drift past a stop! I think I was the last one round there!

Was it a sideways drift? Full opposite lock?

Shakespeare had it right....'Much ado about nothing'.:-D This is nothing compared to the winters we used to get and there wasn't the facilities then which are available now, everybody used to help everybody else, there was no question of not going to work or schools closing, it was considered nothing to walk 10 miles to work or school if it was necessary and services didn't come to a standstill. I find the whole situation pathetic.

Got some great shots today , I should have had snow camo on rather than the green :) 1st pic from in car then crawled up down wind real slow as camera not so good so had to get close ( spitting distance )

silverbusplusyouthsdadsbuspics283.jpg

silverbusplusyouthsdadsbuspics288.jpg

silverbusplusyouthsdadsbuspics285.jpg

then went for a short drive the wind had blown the snow from this area ,,,

then on the way north A1(m) later the warning signs were displaying A66 west closed so rendering no Morris visit for a bit :cry: I'd have a go if the gearbox in the jeep was ok but its not selecting 3rd gear

silverbusplusyouthsdadsbuspics297.jpg

Edited by phil munga

The vertical fallen snow is up to the centre hubs on my pig, where it has drifted, it is significantly deeper, should get some pictures really!

Was just watching advice from the AA to carry a torch, blanket a shovel and a mobile phone!

I believe in a bit of self sufficiency so in addition i have a multifuel stove, 24hr ration pack, sleeping bag, survival bag, reflective vest, wind up torch, cyalume sticks, vehicle recovery gear and snow shoes all packed in a box in the boot.

Dont normally have a problem with snow as the Shogun is wearing some grippy snow wellies.

Might sound excessive, but a couple died of hypothermia in a car in a snow drift a number of years ago, only a few miles from where i live.

A winter wonderland over there ! Currently We here are colder than McMurdo Station Antarctica or Reykjavik Iceland those places are from 20 to 33 degrees F while Locally we are minus 10 to minus 20 F for the last week and counting the highs have been 10 to 15 F. So if things how true this weather will be headed your way soon, say any day now ??

Edited by abn deuce

Brighton is White! YAY! B&H buses have pulled all services! so I get paid to do nothing!

Was a touch uneasy in Coldean having a 20tonne laiden bus drift past a stop! I think I was the last one round there!

Lucky **** wednesday morning, we have enough to be a nusiance not enough to stop. I'll be have severe words with them Met men.:argh:

Agree completely with Degsy regarding this weather and that of previous years , think a lot of the hyperbolae is down to the average age of those in the media being 15 and having no memory - or conception - of what a real winter is like - such as those we've had in years gone by when it snowed from December until March .

Just been out and unlocked the yard a bit back and we've had a very light scattering and there's a bit of snow coming down at the moment .

Got about 10 inches of snow on the ground this morning. Just watching two of my neigbours going to work. One has a Land Rover and is having no problem at all. The other an Audi which is providing much entertainment. he has travelled about 3 feet so far and has already run over his hedge.

Last time it was this bad i struggled in to work. Took me 2 and 1/2 hours. When i got in the office was empty and was sent home again. Not going to bother this time. I will only get sent home again.

Tim

Agree completely with Degsy regarding this weather and that of previous years , think a lot of the hyperbolae is down to the average age of those in the media being 15 and having no memory - or conception - of what a real winter is like - such as those we've had in years gone by when it snowed from December until March .

I remember seeing a photo taken in the late 1940s of a Simmonds Beer Lorry and the crew had lit a fire under the diesel tank to warm the fuel as it had solidified.

I remember back in 1986/87 (when minibuses were all the rage) one of our Merc 608D's was stuck on the edge of a council estate, fuel was waxing up, bosses told driver to stay with the bus, he was there for 5 hours, I had never believed the statement "blue with cold" till that day. He should have been told to catch the next bus back to bus station. The bus ended up with a cracked back window!

Later on in the day, I was told to go and fetch a bus from garage, when I got there, I was given the fleetnumber of the bus, when I did my check, it was the same one mentioned above still with the cracked window!!!!! When I said that I cant take it, the fitter said "why not?", I told him of the window, he said "well nobody told me about it!!!!! Upshot, was sent back to bus station with no bus.

Mark

The cubed one left about 7.30 and returned about 15 mins later after a call from work mate. I went to work for 8, no children turned up so we came home again! Built a big snowman, and about to eat my hat!!!!!!!!!!!!