Snow..

Marmite!!

How do the Fire Engines handle in the snow :confused:

To be honest mate - it handles like any other vehicle.

They are fitted with every driver friendly device you can think of such as ABS and traction control, etc but it's still a vehicle weighing 15 tonnes and when it starts to slide - it's the weight that will cause the vehicle to continue sliding.

My drivers are all very good - better to get to an incident eventually rather than not at all.

I remember when I was working on the heavy recovery rigs during the snow - artics would get stuck and then call out a recovery vehicle. We would battle through the weather conditions to reach them, no matter how long the journey took, only to be asked when we arrived why we had taken so long.

People seemed to think as we were a recovery truck, we had special powers to get through the snow - no figure.

I guess most people when they dial 999 for a fire engine expect to see it arrive, regardless of the weather conditions.

Markheliops

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is an old bus driver sayiong for conditions like this : 'Better late, than, Dead on time'. Conditions like this Dire warnings 'Don't drive' yet they still expect buses, fire engines, police , ambulance etc. Were good guys, but not super people! The laws of Physics still apply!

If the trains aren't running today don't blame me, it's my day off. :)

(No repeat of herculean (and dangerous!) efforts in February to get them out the yard!)

As it's your day off Grasshopper - I expect you'll be at the farm - playing with armour.

I'm having to stay on at work as some crew have been unable to make it in - yet!!

Just what I needed after a 15 hour night shift.

Oh well - could do with the overtime, especially at this time of year.

Markheliops

There is an old bus driver sayiong for conditions like this : 'Better late, than, Dead on time'. Conditions like this Dire warnings 'Don't drive' yet they still expect buses, fire engines, police , ambulance etc. Were good guys, but not super people! The laws of Physics still apply!

yep, try to explain to passengers that you cant take the bus down that part of the route because of a hill etc and they say "well, how am I going to get home then?"

Mark

15862_219732588448_517103448_298933.jpg

the snow man we made in the yard...

15862_219735908448_517103448_298934.jpg

Nice Brighton and Hove bus behind..well I say nice, as enthused as I get about a bus

15862_219739598448_517103448_298935.jpg

one stuck

Yes, we get the whole "i'm late for work because of you lot! anything for a day off" when we cant take buses on the road as the snow and ice casue them to drift and they cant go up hills!

or the " I have to walk to town now" well yes, could be a good idea.. dont be so lazy all your life..

People do not think about the danger a 14 tonne bus can create!

When driving in today in the 110, I was in low ratio taking it steady in the blizzard at 5am, still had a people carrier right up my back end! even undertook me !!! some people...

dont mind admiting out today up to london and back in a coach

took 2 1/2 hours from eastbourne to brighton via newhaven at 7.30 this morning

no problems on the roads apart from the muppets who were causing crashes due to trying to overtake on roads not cleared

best one was at pycombe on way back in tonight 2 cars on a23 where they cleared the main road and where they had cleared just 2 lanes instead of 3 2 cars decided to use the uncleared lane and wondered why they crashed

Edited by David Ives

outside my front door this morning, mrs 44K6 is stranded at work after a night shift

Hi Graham,

You had a bit more snow at Heathfield, than we had here. Reckon it would not have been more than 2 inches, even less at work. At least it was a sunny morning, had the doors open and it was quite warm for a spell.

With age comes wisdom if you live through your errors , Perhaps when a youth I d say it was fun to play out in the weather now I d settle for watching others to do foolish things while being warm and dry , beside where will you put the GPS and widescreen and coffee maker without a cab ! LOL