Snow..

Marmite!!

Now leaving the office as I am getting snowed in and need to go and get the kiddies from school!!!
what you need Jack is a mans truck to drive in this weather.....................................

Do you know where one is for sale?

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just up the road was on the news , Tan hill the highest pub in England there were people that were just geting home early monday after new years eve party due to been snowed in with 7ft drifts they did not want to take the Hugland out , I've got photos towards the end or just after WW2 Grandparents snowed in were the snow is drifted half way up the front door of there house , Also pics of Grandfather and a load of men diging out a steam train stuck up near Kirkby Steven , the heat from the train melted the snow then it froze and I think the train was stuck for nearly three weeks

Do you use snow chains these days ?

You have to use them by law in some European countries.

When the local ambulance service had Bedford J types (1960-70's), they would fit chains, doubt they would on the modern ones though.

how do you fit them to the rear dual wheels on trucks ?

Be careful what you wish for. :shake: 5 am this morning down it came! About 6 am, your much loved Muppet was piloting 6,666 kg of Dennis through Chelsfeild Station. For those of you in the hinterland, one reasonable long but shallow hill goes in then up a long steep one. I came in the short shallow one, my oppo came over the top of the long steep one. Both your heroes touched the brakes, then just went along for the ride! Both of stopped in the middle, thankfully with out contact. Then called the garage, saying, with much restraint, 'We ain't coming down here again till its gritted!

I remember seeing a photo taken in the late 1940s of a Simmonds Beer Lorry and the crew had lit a fire under the diesel tank to warm the fuel as it had solidified.

That would be 1947, I remember it well, 23 weeks continuous nights frost, only beaten by winter of 1962/3 when we had 27 weeks continuous nights frost.

how do you fit them to the rear dual wheels on trucks ?

Same way you fit them to the front wheels, individual chain for each wheel. Many years ago chains were not fitted overall and sprung tensioned as todays modern ones but were just a double chain which you strapped to each wheel , usually 3 or 4 pairs to each wheel.

Woke up this morning to about 10 inches of snow. Decided to go to work (as I have a 4x4 and couldn't use the - "I can't get in excuse"). Loaded up for 2 drops in Thatcham, 4 in Newbury, 2 Greenham way and then Hungerford and Lambourne.

Hungerford had about a foot of snow. The traffic was very light and everyone seemed to be off work. My Mrs went into work and called at 11am saying that no kids turned up to school and she was sent home.

It's turned into rock hard ice now so not looking forward to tomorrow.

Had to walk to the horses last night and this morning as we could drive to them...

- any one seen the Jackass programme? Well that we me last night slipped over and landed like a bag of spuds - bruised all over this morning. I am getting too old.

I live a few miles from RAF Benson, and for some reason Benson always seems to be the coldest place in England. Last night it went down MINUS 18 Deg C, yes -18 deg C. Got into work this morning and waited 3 hours for someone to make a decision about what we were going to do. They eventually sent us out for collections as we couldn't get the pallets off the trailer for the deliverys as the yard was 3 inches deep in rutted ice. -18 I think is the same as a domestic freezer, so it was definitely cold...

Edited by LoggyDriver

I had to defrost the car again this morning, the cubed one has ventured into work and has said the roads are alright as long as you are sensible. I went into nursery as well today (cubelets still off school) but as more staff managed to come in and I had struggled in all week I have been given the rest of the day off. Result!!!!!!!!!!!! I am going to have to go to Tesco as our on line delivery didnt turn up on Wednesday night and I am rapidly running out of food (and wine and fags!!!!!!)

TBH I am now getting a bit bored with the snow, its so solid out there now cubelets cant do anything with it, on Hayling Island as with anywhere I suppose only the main roads have been treated but any side roads are about 2 inches of solid ice, so going anywhere is difficult in my car! Mind you saying that yesterday my managers husband did a handbreak turn into the school carpark and got his new, auto, big BMW stuck in the snow!!!!!!!!! I just pulled in, in my 12 year old Audi and when it was home time I just pulled back out again-no problem!!!!!!!!!

I would like to send my thanks to some people via the Website. The people I mean are those manning the Emergency and NHS services, who battle through the snow to get to work. 2 examples are my Daughter who still drives from Kent to the Quenn Elizabeth Hospital in Woolwich where she works as an A&E Nurse, and my Wife who walks the 1.5 miles each way to the Royal Berks Hospital where she works as a Call Centre Manager, so that she can re-arrange clinics to save people having unneccessary journeys into Reading. Both my Wife and Daughter have not missed a shift this week.

Anyone have anybody else they would like to nominate as a Hero?

No new snow here.

The services are indeed to be commended (roadservices, ambulance, buses etc etc..

They are trying their best.

I said it be fore but will repeat my advice.

Put warm blankets in your car!!

A few weeks ago in the Ardennes his car broke, when we finally got to our destination we had spent about 4 hours in the car without heating. The last hour outside in the dark without car. About -5 then.

Stay safe/warm.

Though not a lot of snow here it is realy treacherous under foot, got a minor bollocking from the manager for not letting the vehicles out of the yard before 08:30 (the refuse wagons, gritters and day centre buses were kept off the road untill 10:30 ) so we could grit the yard and entrance bend waiting for the office staff to come in," if you can drive to work....... you can drive at work" sounds fair enough but there are less twats around at 06:30 and this was two days after on of our vans lost grip and crashed into a wall behind a pelican, crossing luckily no one was hurt.

Working for the local authority can be fun sometimes

Ashley