Reporting Live from W&P Revival 2013

Marmite!!

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw jack, but didn't have time for a chat. He was doing some deal about a tent. Also saw Chris G and Bernard. Saw Olafs car.

Olaf has set a trend I think. A big UN appearance at W&P this year:

IMG_2672_zps12abad9d.jpg

IMG_2670_zps28edeb09.jpg

IMG_2657_zps407e150b.jpg

IMG_2649_zps55f2b014.jpg

IMG_2646_zps3c68963c.jpg

Also a lot of MP's

IMG_2709_zps44cc1e76.jpg

IMG_2681_zpsb7b258a1.jpg

IMG_2675_zps76007a68.jpg

This was really nice though:

IMG_2684_zps18c32c32.jpg

I got down late Monday evening and bailed-out Thursday night after a great few days, but I think I peaked too early!

I found the intense heat combine with the horrendous dust in Kitcheners (rutted & stubble) field just too much. A simple walk from the shower block back to base camp found you needing another shower by the time you got back there! But I must say, I found the showers at the entrance to Kitcheners Field first class, hot and excellent water pressure every time I used them.

I went to use the loo's at Kitcheners Field mid-morning on Thursday and all the toilets in the cubicles were blocked and full up to overflowing. I just assumed that there was a blockage on the main exit pipe from the cabin which had made them back-up. Up until this point I had found them quite acceptable (considering the relentless pounding they were getting all day and night long).

Like others have said on here, I really do wonder about the mentality and sanity of the cretin's that get a kick from doing this sort of thing. The poor sods who would have been forced to resolve the problem/blockage in that intense heat and dust for the benefit of everyone else on-site is probably more worthy of the Bart Vanderveen Trophy than most!

Did I like the new site in preference to Beltring? Well, as a general rule none of us relish change and I most certainly didn't like the 'gobi desert' where we were camped on the top of Kitcheners. But know-doubt I'll go again when we've endured another winter as bad as last year to muddy the memory of the dust & heat of W&P 2013.

It's no mean feat staging a show of that magnitude at a new venue and it took many years to per-fect the show at Beltring, so its going to take a few attempts to get the exact formula right.

Edited by M5Clive

One thing that I would like to see improved is the public entrance.

We got there reasonably early Wednesday to be met by a 45 minute queue to get in, which put a damper on the day. By the time we did get in the queue was immense.....lucky it wasn't pouring down.

also a separate entrance for pre paid tickets would be good.

Great show though despite the dust which can't be helped of course.

Great show though despite the dust which can't be helped of course.

Camping for 10 days in these conditions is a nightmare. The good weather can't be changed, but at least they could start from a field WITH grass on..

A flash bang went off in the haigs field at 6.45 this morning severly injuring a person. We are camped at the police cordone, fire and ambulance are in attendance and ATO has been called . A stall area has also been sealed off. Hope this doesnt mess up future shows.

Sent from my ONE TOUCH 983 using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1374305503522.jpg

The reason for the site as it is, they thought about the chance of rain. Ploughing, tilling and seeding it would made a right mess like last year.

We are camping for 7 days in Kitchener field, dusty but manageable.

the flash bang incident is news to me.. I hope the man don't have life changing injuries.

Arjan

well I went on Wednesday it was a big queue to get in we arrived at 9.00 and got in at 9.50, then had to walk a good way to get the mobility scooter for my dad then drive it back to him waiting at the entrance...could do with the mobility scooters being near the entrance and a few more tills to let people in pre-ticket holders separate entrance would be a perfect idea...

I cannot fault the layout as it was what it is, more toilets are needed, as well as more people, the arena is a bit odd and to my mind ill defined but given what we got I still think it was excellent. Over time the boys will refine it and improve it but for a first try I think a well done is in order....

I think constructive criticism is great but crikey some of you lot are a bunch of old whinge bags, dusty field, crappy burgers, come on, some things can be changed some can't, if your pallet demands best quality steak for your burger I suggest you don't try the burger vans. I had a burger and can say it was pleasant tasty and acceptable...

A journey of just over 7 hours( 190miles) as the drops over heated on M25 due to cooling fan lock up clutch n/w which luckily we mended on site after driving last 2 hours watching temp gauge especially past clacket lane which seemed never ending . A relief to get there ok Monday evening to find water was off but this was sorted next morning ok. It does need GRASS tho as it was like camping on the moon ( possibly) with thistles ! , baron and very dusty . I was going to say it was Afghanistan ( a joke i know) without the bullets or IED s but that's not true after some type of explosion this morning just by where we were camped prior to leaving late Friday evening due not risking driving truck back in heat in case of problems . . Our friends who stayed on were evacuated from that area at 7am this morning and did say they were taken for breakfast tho courtesy of w&p until being allowed to return after 11am.

Still after 390 miles @ 7mpg ish and £ 360 fuel money lighter I did take home free of charge 3 tons of drifted sandy type dusty soil in my trailer to pot some plants with - a bargain !. We are all mad .

martin

Edited by martinsaunders06

I think constructive criticism is great but crikey some of you lot are a bunch of old whinge bags, dusty field, crappy burgers, come on, some things can be changed some can't, if your pallet demands best quality steak for your burger I suggest you don't try the burger vans. I had a burger and can say it was pleasant tasty and acceptable...

Yes I do like a good whinge! That's what forums are for! :D

This was the first major show I attended, and apart from my small moan in an earlier post, I found it superb in the fact that there was so much to see.

i have always read up on the war, and the great tank battles etc...etc.. And must have seen every programme on the history channels....but only at the W & P show could I really see how high that Sherman was compared to those sturmgeschutz ... How awesome that panther looked ..... How small the dingo was...... How important trucks were to the war effort..... And how rugged the famous T-34 really looks. The red ball express group was excellent.

so I will be back next year, well prepared, with lessons learned, ...and a BIG BIG thank you to all those to took their vehicles ,sometimes from quite a distance, wether it be a BSA push bike or Diamond T. :-):-):-D

Right this is a whinge & a very bitter one, not against the organisers, a few tweaks & it'll be fine.

I had only a few hours sleep last night after a fun & exhausting day. We had loud techno music until 0415 that seemed be coming from the NLBA camp. Very selfish & the volume was such that it seemed a deliberate attempt to cause maximum disruption to everyone's sleep. Shame on you. Yet your Elvis evening was fun & at sensible time.

Right this is a whinge & a very bitter one, not against the organisers, a few tweaks & it'll be fine.

I had only a few hours sleep last night after a fun & exhausting day. We had loud techno music until 0415 that seemed be coming from the NLBA camp. Very selfish & the volume was such that it seemed a deliberate attempt to cause maximum disruption to everyone's sleep. Shame on you. Yet your Elvis evening was fun & at sensible time.

I feel sorry for you there Clive, we had the same thing a few years back in the Americas field with a 'break away' group of NLBA (allegedly, going on rumour). We left yesterday after an enjoyable time having taken my young family or the first time. I'd have been irate if they'd have been kept awake all night by excessive noise.

Where were the marshalls and officials? At the party?

Paul.

Paul I don't know where marshalls were but there are few camped opposite me so they must have experienced it. It's not good enough for people to defend this gross nuisance by saying if you go to a show you must expect this sort of thing.

I am a heavy sleeper & with half a bottle wine & thick wax earplugs thought sleep was gauranteed but I was awaken at 0100 by the noise vibrating my air bed!

I had a great day, met up with a number of people for a chat but didn't manage to find everyone! It was very dusty in the arena and I found trying to navigate the trade area next to impossible, could have done with a little map of stalls. Appart from those it was very good, the public seemed very interested and involved with the displays.

FOTM display was on the face of it, in a perfect position but in reality ended up covered from view by refreshment vans!

Too much to seen in one day, that's for sure.

..... I found trying to navigate the trade area next to impossible, could have done with a little map of stalls.....

10 minutes in the queue with the official programme and a pen, and I had my shopping schedule and route mapped out thanks to the trade area plan and list of traders - well worth the £5 cost to increase the efficiency of my shopping time 10 fold! :angel:

OK initially I declined the offer of a programme at 08.30 (nothing if not eager) - but after the opening delay was announced (Saturday incident) I realised we'd be waiting for some time, and decided it might be money well spent. It was also on the website but I was not organised enough to print it off beforehand :D

With the nlba you can expect it, so.. Planning counter measures should be easy.

If they keep being the way they are, ban the group from the show, elvis evening is ok, large party not ok at silly am.

for the rest, this site starts to grow on me. Next year the fields are better, I hope the soft bits are more solid and wheelchair proof :) loads of fun and a spitfire ale on a hot day served by that nice redhead girl is a treat :)

Cheers, .303 (imps member)