Chieftain engine covers

Pee Jay

Now we've just about got the turret turning I'm having trouble find the right position in order to open the engine covers (they foul the turret). Turret is near the 9 o'clock position. Does anyone know what position the turret has to be in to open the engine covers? - I'm trying the refit the T support piece on the rear deck.

Thanks

Chieftain rear deck.pdf

• 2 months later...

Surely you have got a user handbook?  If not, you will make many mistakes.  I can look up in mine later if nobody else can help.

You also really need the EMER / AESP for at least what are termed 'unit repairs'.

John

• Like 2

13 hours ago, attleej said:

Surely you have got a user handbook?  If not, you will make many mistakes.  I can look up in mine later if nobody else can help.

You also really need the EMER / AESP for at least what are termed 'unit repairs'.

John

I do have paper copy of manual - had a trawl thru and couldnt find anything stating turret position. All we want to do is replace the T piece. Problem is that we have no power and the turret hand traverse is too stiff because turret seized - only way to shift it was help from REME wrecker towing the barrel round. Had a look at Mr Hewes vids and found one where he has turret roughly 3 o'clock for engine removal (Ive seen others at the 9 o'clock). Ours is a Mk11 and the turret is heavily loaded with baskets that cause a big overhang. One of the baskets on the RHS has been previously removed so I'm wondering if this was done when the T piece was removed.