What's your claim to fame.......

Jack

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i havent got many really, my dad used to go to the school where they filmed Kes, my uncle used to be in grimethorpe collery brass band and was in brassed off, and if you remember the gladiators i met shadow from said program.

ok i am heading back to my bunker to take the flak lol

could it also be said i am one of the youngest members on here?? who knows lol

• 2 weeks later...

Cut my teeth in films, so to speak, by being paid handsomely for hanging around with the special effects guys on "Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines" which was filmed at Booker (Wycombe Air Park). Later, (much later), thats me flying the DC-3 at the beginning of "The Eagle Has Landed", which also saw me having dinner with Jenny Agutter after filming in Exeter. The old Dak G-AKNB was painted in water-soluble camo,(Tony B will remember that), the surface finish of which was akin to sandpaper, which really hobbled her performance on a hot summers day, and I well remember stopping a cricket match near Hurn Airport as we staggered off to the west one summers evening before turning left and proceeding down Bournemouth high-street with probably a bit more cargo on than the load-sheet alluded to! The paint was left on as we needed the aircraft straight after filming was finished, and by the time the film company came to remove it, it had baked on so hard in the summer sun that it cost them a fortune to remove it!

Before that, as an early teenager, I used to go to Pinewood Studios to look after a club glider they used in "Man in a Suitcase", and actually appeared on screen with Richard Johnson and another glider in a turgid James Bond spoof called "Some Girls Do", which vanished, deservedly, without trace. The moral there is that if you are going to appear in the movies and want people to recognise you, don't come on wearing a huge pair of sunglasses!

Perhaps my greatest claim to fame was appearing in "Thunderbird 6", the only cinema film ever made with the earlier puppets, where a real Tiger Moth was used for some of the flying sequences. Only downside to that was that Lady Penelope was flying it, so I had to dress up accordingly, (only from the waist-up thankfully, but that was bad enough!). I thought I looked rather fetching, but enough already! (And probably too much.........?)

Dakman, respect to you, anytime now, surely Hollywood will come knocking.

I once got into Sean Connery's taxi. Well according to the driver he was booked to pick up the famous silver screen star, but the extenuating circumstances as to why Mr James Bond didn't show were so soperific that I can't recall them. But it would seem that I was the next fare. Impressed huh!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ah ha --- now, lemme see. :coffee2:

What have you done that is pretty unique?

It may not be unique but it is kind of special - I have been a passenger driving from the West Coast of America to the East Coast. A whole week on the road. Pity it wasn't in a Dukw... coulda gone around by the Pacific and passed up on that whole Texas ordeal. Ha.

Who have you met, who have you sat next to?

I am a tour guide in Dublin, and on one of my last tours this year I had a famous passenger! Jackie Chan -- though no one believes me now. A scene in his movie, Medallion, shows him jumping off City Hall in Dublin, onto a Yellow Dukw!

Have you been on TV, in a film, been an extra.

I have been on tv inadvertently... When doing tours around the city, if it is kind of late we end up on the 6'o clock news as we chug past Government Buildings going back to base. Been on the news in that fashion a couple of times. :whistle:

Have you helped someone famous get out of trouble shocked

No -- Or have I? I roared at Jonathan Rhys Meyers when he was filming in Dublin but I am not too sure if I was getting him out of trouble.

Have you worked for anybody famous?

Famous is relative....

Have you sold anything to anybody of interest?

Nope! Unless that tour to Jackie Chan counts... I didn't sell it to him however, I just yapped at him for over an hour :sweat:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Back in the summer of 1968 while waiting to go to college, I was working for a company in Cricklewood that supplied juke boxes and fruit machines to clubs and pubs in the London area. One evening, the boss asked for 2 of us to work late on a huge juke box installation in the Windsor area, so we set off in the van along the M4 and as we approached Windsor I looked at the job sheet to find the address - Windsor Castle!

It turned out that HM put on a huge party for her offspring every year based in the games room at the castle, a huge room with a wooden polo pony on springs surrounded by a net as the centre piece. After dragging all the kit in, my job was to connect everything up, so there I was trying to hide the speaker cables behind all the exotic plants when a pair of playful dogs leapt up and grabbed the bottom of my t-shirt. Somewhat surprised, I let out a 'get down you b**tards' and sent one of the dogs flying with a smart back hander. At this point I was suddenly aware of a casually dressed female who was taking three Corgis for a tour of the grounds, and my immediate thought was that she looked very familiar.... Yes, you have guessed it, HM herself, grinning from ear to ear at my antics.

Bashing a royal mutt, swearing at another, I was expecting to get arrested on the spot, but as far as I could see there was no visible security and HM came over and chatted for several minutes before continuing her walk. Later as we were testing the system, Andrew and Edward appeared but were most concerned that they had no money and would be unable to play their favourite top 20 tunes. Needless to say the machine was set to free play and I showed them how to pre-select a number of records. From memory the princes were 6 and 10 at the time, and the Corgi soon recovered and made friends.

I've been in an advertising campaign for a well known high street chemist.

I was volunteering on HMS Plymouth when she stayed in Glasgow (about 1990 to 91).

That's all I'm admiting to just now...

Come on Toner - we need to know more now!

• 2 weeks later...

When I was 17 and an apprentice I used to go for a cycle ride at lunchine with a lad who worked in the stores. His name was Neville Holder. If it was raining he used to practice on a guitar. He played in a group called th 'N Betweens. His knickname was Noddy. I wonder what happened to him.