What's your claim to fame.......

Jack

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

We used to look after Norman Tebbits Range Rover,he was a spitfire piolt during the war.his security car had a job to keep up with him,he wrote all maggies speeches we were told,Also Grant bovis Range Rover he ran off with Anthia Turner.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My first claim to fame,was being captured on camera during the Brixton Riots of 1981.On a more sociable claim to fame.I have appeared on Eastenders,The Bill,The BBC drama about life in the boxing world"Seconds Out".A video for American hard core Rock group "The Nine Inch Nails.And been on the set of the James Bond film.The world is not enough.My father and brother have a more impressive film and t.v list than me.

• 3 weeks later...

I hugged Willy Nelson. Does that count? :D

I'm related to the Father of New Iceland (Manitoba Lake Winnipeg area), Sigtryggur Jonasson. He was my Dad's Great Uncle, so what is he to me? (he was my Great Grandfathers brother if I remember the story correctly)

My youngest is related somehow to WC Handy, Fatha of the Blues who

wrote St. Louis Blues, for one, through her Dad.

I'm related to Tommy Prince (Thomas George Prince - google it) via family marriages and other begets.

I saw, smiled and waved to Lady Di and Prince Charles when they visted Expo 86 in Vancouver, BC. I wore a red silk dress in honour of the occasion. :D

I met a number of well known jazz players well enough to say hi and get a hi I know you, back. :D No kilts, no bagpipes there :(

I had a bit scene in a homemade wannabe cult film ... i was a bag lady picking up butts from the sidewalk and when offered a real cigarette by the star of the film, my line was, "No thanks. I like my own special blend." I was edited out, as was a scene my daughter was in, but may have been edited back in by now. Don't know if it made the Canadian cult film fests.

5 Star Important ***** I rode in a carrier VE Day Parade in Ottawa with those I consider royalty, 3 VETS WHO WERE THERE WW2 and lived to tell ... the day of the Grand opening of the new War Museum.

There's more, but can't think of anymore at the moment ...

:yay:

You drive a 101 because your don't own a hair shirt.

Recognition points for 101 owners

1) They always give directions via fuel stations.

2) They always carry a VOM, and collect pices of elctric wire in their pockets.

3) Over developed double jointed shoulder, which one depends on the side the steering wheel is on, from trying to change gear.

I'm sure others will add.

Does saving a 101 count as a claim to fame??

Or a hidden plea for the men in white coats to pay a visit???? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Huh says you with a Russian APC who's the nuts one now :-D:-D:-D:-D

..................Yes..................

Well it is Military......

It's green.....

It's got bar grip tyres...

It has bad fuel consumption...

And why not..

:clap:

• 2 months later...

When I was working in Vietnam in the early 1990's I was lucky enough to go inside the old American embassey, which is know home to Petro Vietnam and even managed to get a look on the roof. You know where you see the last chopper lifting off. Old sandbags and rubbish still there then!!

Did undersea surveys of the chopper wrecks off Vungtau and various other places. Saw M60's being pulled out of the bush for scrap along with various other bits and pieces. There were hundreds of US mules running around as everyday transport and modified Reo's.

In Vungtau, which was an R&R base, visitted the old airbase and saw various buildings still in use and the old radar was still on the top of the hill at the mouth of the river.

At Saigon airport there were lines of Carabou's lined up as well as Hueys with the blades folded back. The story goes these are left just as the Amercians had left them when they pulled out. The Caribou's were meant to still have the cargo onboard along with the manifests, how try this is is anyones bet. I managed to get some photo's of the aircraft at Saigon airport on one drunken trip home. Will try to dig them out sometime.

Oh yes and managed a flight in Liberty Belle and a picture in Aeroplane magazine along with Clive for the same!!!

:rofl::rofl:He can get his OFF!!! Another habit is the cap sticking on! I've had to hammer mine round at time.

Funnily enough - Stalwarts do this too!! :-(

At least on the 101 you aren't hanging off the side of the truck trying to undo the cap with one hand whilst hanging on for your life with the other!! :shake: :shake:

When i lived in Denmark they were filming a war time story which had something to with a farm and cat,i cannot remember exactly what it was about as my Danish was not too good,but i do remember a Nazi staff car was kept on our farm.

They used one of the farm cats in the film and i would either pull the car,again cannot remember what it was,to start it and would sometimes taxi the cat and one of the actors in my 1961 Series 2a Land Rover.

Will try to find what it was about one day.

Whilst i was in Denmark i drove said Landrover on the sea when the temperature got down to minus 28 for three weeks.

Have met Henry Cooper,nice bloke.

Have met and worked for the day with Tim Haddock-Mackey and Torquil.

Both were very nice people and we were a shocked when Tim hung himself.

http://www.worksopguardian.co.uk/new...ged.1672317.jp

Worked on a farm where they filmed part of Treasure Island.

The keepers cottage was changed to the Admiral Benbow .

The locals were allowed to be nearby and watch after an incident involving a falling tree,which had something to do with me:whistle:.

Christopher Lee was there and Julian Glover (who sang to my son who was a baby then and had started crying),Charlton Hestons son was directing (if i remember correctly) and the big man himself turned up one day.

But to my regret i did not meet Oliver Reed who was there on and off.

Also met Keith Chegwin when we did some filming with him years ago.

• 2 months later...

Too modest to read a list....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

But here goes, cos it's unusual.

I have a Mountain named after me. My Uncle was a WOII on the Antartic expedition with Sir Vivian Fuchs in 1956. They discorvered a range of uncharted mountains there. The first was obviously Mt.Elizabeth. And there were enough for every member of the xpedition to have a Mountain named after them!

Different, isnt it! :cool2:

he used to do clutch changes on Weasels & sno-cats in an ice 'Garage' under the compacted snow. He appeared in a Book & was also mentioned in it a few times. Very nice chap & a wealth of Vehicle knowledge.

Still alive & lives in Rochester. :coffee:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In the last few weeks I.....

1. Met and was spoken to by the Queen and Prince Phil as an uniformed Re enactor at the D-Day museum Southsea.

2. Jeep appeared on the BBC "One show".

3. Jeep appeared with Ross Kemp in "Help for Heroes" cycle ride from Southwick House.

4. Should be on ITV tomorrow "5th June" either main or local news I guess not sure yet.

Paul

• 1 month later...

Earlier in this century I did a small job for FEMA. I picked up seventeen peices of the Space Shuttle Columbia STS 107 that broke apart over North America over several wesern states. Well I didn't actually pick up the big seven by five foot peice of a wing I found on February 25th, 2003.

I was a wildland firefighter with the NPS at the time and was part of an NPS, Forrest Service and Utah State Prison crew sent to Big Thicket National Park in East Texas. According to FEMA over 3,000 personnel took part in the recovery mission covering 103,000 acres and recovering 22,100 peices.

We endured cold, rainy weather with occasional violent lightning, swampy terrain, dense vegetation and briar thickets. Basically they lined us up in 19th century open skirmish order with the NASA boys behind us with baggies and marched us through concertina wire-like briar patches amidst swamps to pick up the peices. At least it was too cold for the insects and poisonous snakes.

Ed

• 1 month later...

Stood in the next urinal in the gents on Lancaster Railway station . To Peter O'toole.Who had just come in on a train while he was on his way up to the lakes filming the Sherlock Holmes film . But i cannot remember the title now. Maybe somebody can remember it.

Stood in the next urinal in the gents on Lancaster Railway station . To Peter O'toole.Who had just come in on a train while he was on his way up to the lakes filming the Sherlock Holmes film . But i cannot remember the title now. Maybe somebody can remember it.

Did he have a small part or a big bit?