What's your claim to fame.......

Jack

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, one of my ancestors (great great great great uncle or something like that) was bareknuckle boxing legend Nat Langham

http://www.ibhof.com/langham.htm

Also i'm one of very few people under 40 to have Glaucoma, some sort of eye condition, nearly went blind as a baby but it's pretty much gone now.

Anyone seen 'Snatch'? The guy that played Tommy, Stephen Graham, is married to my best mates drama teacher who seems to like me, trying to get his autograph at the moment.

Also, anyone into aviation, I saw the 'Spirit of St Louis' replica crash at Coventry airport at an airshow back in 2002 (I think). Was one of the few people to get a photo of it as it fell, the Air Investigation Branch told me they wanted the photo, but when I asked them where did they want it sending to they never replied.

Thats about all I can think of, i've seen a few movies and TV Programmes being filmed as well.

• 5 months later...

About 14 yaers ago I was in the Sun when I got superglued to a public payphone at 1am in the morning, it took them 12hrs to get the handset of my hand leaving most of the skin off palm & fingers on the phone.

Some yobs thought it would be funny to cover the handset in superglue which I now know that if there's enough of it it doesn't dry until it comes in contact with something that contains moisture, the Firebrigade said I was lucky as all the other phones had it on the earpiece too.

After it was in the paper there was a spate of superglue incidents up & down the country with one poor chap getting glued to a public loo

About 10 years ago I was jumped at gun point by the polices armed response unit (about 30 of 'em) at a petrol station... They thought i was a bank robber :-o

You are going to have to tell us more now Bodge?!

okay long story short version

Local loony robs a building society at gun point & looks up at the security camera on the way out giving the local newspaper a perfect picture of himself.

He looks EXACTLY like me, to the point where even my mum thinks its me!

I was working in a pub at the time so had about 30 witnesses.

The jokes wear thin to the point that I decide to go to the plod and say

"I really look like this fella but it wasn't me & this is my address, name, car reg etc"

They take the details (reluctantly) and I go off thinking i have done me bit!

Whilst shopping at the weekend I notice there's a lot of police about in town & don't think much about. Get in the car... police car behind. It dissapears after a few mins.

Another one appears a few mins later then dissapears after half a mile or so.

I stop at the petrol station which is too busy so i think sod it and am pulling back into the traffic when a patrol range rover goes past sideways, all 4 locked up, blue smoke, blue lights the lot. I'm gawping at this spectacle of remarkably bad driving when he leaps out the thing and comes sprinting towards me screaming at me to get back from the side of the road and to keep my hands where he can see 'em.

In the space of about 5 seconds my car is completeley surrounded by swat type vans about 5 patrol cars & assorted bikes. all the armed response come tumbling out of the vans tooled up and ready to turn me and the car into a teabag!

whilst keeping my hands in sight i undo my belt and am unceremoniously 'yoinked' out of the car like a rag doll and 'starsky and hutched' over the bonnet with the whole world (it feels like) watching.

Questions barked at me by some smart arse cheif inspector type for about 5 mins who has obvoiusly just been promoted in his own mind for a 'result'

at which point the officer i gave my details to the week before recognises me and has a word with with the big cheese... and i'm left shaking like a dog sh1tting bones by the side of the road while they pack up and bog off. I can laugh now but i ranks so far as the scariest thing i've ever been through :-o

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well my list is very long so here goes:

Carried the Royal British Legion Standard at the Royal Albert Hall for remeberance day back in 1996,done two apperances that day and was on the BBC walking through the arena.

Done some work for one of the Guys out of the "Black Sabbeth" Band (Tony Iommi) a few years back,He made me a cup of Coffee ..Cool Guy.

Starred in a TV program called Guiness in the Garden ,12 weeks filming and a great laugh it's been on Central TV and the Discovery Channel.

Met Pete Warterman at this years Severn Valley Railway event and had our photo taken with him.

Recently done some film work for a program called "Seconds from Disaster" it was about the 1954 Comet crash,filmed at Bruntingthorpe airfield. http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/january/10/newsid_2709000/2709957.stm The Comet which took off from Rome airport and exploded killing all on board including the famous Australian war correspondent Chester Wilmot.

Myself the wife and kids were passengers on board the Comet which was magic being able to climb all over one of these birds.

It was Great seeing how the special effects of making a plane disintigrate in mid air are done. It's coming out in November/December this year on the National Geographic channel.

Caught an Armed Robber with a Spade, He got 4 years, lucky for him the Old Bill turned up or he may have had problems chewing without his Teeth.

Being in a T55 driving down the Motorway 2 weeks ago.

Just got another interesting claim to fame - was watching the 'World at War' documentary the other day about the war in North Africa - you see Churchill walk past a line of troops, and you can see my grandad in the line giving him the victory sign the other way round! :-D

• 2 weeks later...

I fancy having a go at this. I used to work for the Melody Maker music magazine and once had the joy of being photographed with Lemmy from Motorhead. He was sticking his thumb up the news editor's nose at the time. A little while later we had Stewart Copeland of the Police in the office and my future wife was a big fan. So I phoned her and she didn't believe me - so I got hime to talk to her on the phone - a quality moment. One of my childhood friends was Buster Bloodvessel of Bad Manners fame (we went to different schools together - as the saying goes). I helped them get some publicity and went to their first gig in a pub in Tottenham. They were an R&B band at the time. I appeared in a school photo which included two future murderers an armed robber and a very nasty rapist. I had the displeasure of serving in the army with a nasty little git who was recently imprisoned for selling secrets to Russia. I once appeared as a model in The Sun as an unhappy yuppy after taxes went up on mobile phones (when they were bricks). I was then asked to be in a photo casebook as a rapist returning to hassle his victim...I declined. I also appeared in a Saudi Arabian defence catalogue modelling webbing. It was the days before Photoshop and the effect was not helped by the photographer's dog biting me on the face before the shoot. AND BEST OF ALL....my uncle Edward was the first Merchant Navy winner of the George Medal which he won in 1940 following the sinking of the Severn Leigh. Which brings me to my wife, whose grandfather was a Master Brewer for Scottish & Newcastle Breweries (and eventually managing director). He won several gold medals for his beers and invented a reasonably popular beer called....Newcastle Brown Ale. We've got the recipe book and it makes no sense at all to us mere mortals. ALL TRUE....

• 5 weeks later...