Antar Gallery

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The plate in this cab was requested as a one off, the vehicle was not part of the rework or any batch contract. It had been BER'd because of a huge amount of collision damage. But the user needed vehicles while awaiting the arrival of the Scammel. The chassis was buggered, the gear box had to be created from a MK2 unit and the parts catalogue, the cab and panels forward of the rear wings had to be re-manufactured on site and the engine was well broken but rebuilt on site to keep the cost down. The rest of the rebuild was no cake walk as the unit had robbed it soft and the two Polish guys who delivered it made off with the prop-shafts.

Forgive me if this don't work out but it is my first attempt at albums.

Two shots of the rebuild and one of the vehicle as I recall it was delivered to Fazakerley Engineering. Photos courtesy of REME school achieve, taken by Army Photo Unit during a record of engineering techniques. The photo has two electricians on the right and Mr James Hemsworth the fitter who rebuilt the vehicle on the left.

JH Antar build..jpg

Senne....jpg

JH Antar Build 1..jpg

Edited by FEC
Incomplete

Sorry for missing out the reg.

Some old photos kindly provided by the REME school, of vehicle awaiting overhaul at FEC in the late sixty's. Will post more now that I have got the hang of this photo thingy.

fournine3..jpg

threefive (7)..jpg

threefive (8)..jpg

threeseven5..jpg

Edited by FEC
incomplete

Sorry for missing out the reg.

Some old photos kindly provided by the REME school, of vehicle awaiting overhaul at FEC in the late sixty's. Will post more now that I have got the hang of this photo thingy.

Pictures 2 and 3 show steel bodied Mark 1 with body removed but showing off the Turner?? winch

One of the Snowy Mountain Antars after it was converted to a mega dump truck.

Here's an ungainly Antar dumtruck closer to home - on a post war opencast coal site. And it's only carrying the equivalent of 2 or 3 overloaded Bedford 3 tonners!!!

From a great book - 'Opencast Coal, Plant and Equipment' by Bill Huxley.

British Opencast Coal.jpg

Edited by N.O.S.

Here's an ungainly Antar dumtruck closer to home - on a post war opencast coal site. And it's only carrying the equivalent of 2 or 3 overloaded Bedford 3 tonners!!!

From a great book - 'Opencast Coal, Plant and Equipment' by Bill Huxley.

That looks more like a Big Ben to me , but yes it's nice.

That is not the same Turner as on the MK3 though.

I have never seen the Martian Recovery main winch out of a chassis. Is the Mk1 Antar winch possibly the same as the Martian Recovery????

Edited by antarmike

Could well be - what's the main difference?

Big Ben lighter built and lower rating, I can't make out the letters on the grill but photo seem to show three letters before the T and Three after i.e "bigTben" not two before and after in "anTar"

The Big Ben does not have the wider stretched 3 man cab of the Antar, but uses the cab in its normal width, as per Guy / Thornycroft normal vehicle usage, hence no flat panel fill in on the bulkhead, and hence a much smoother blend into the bonnet sides....

Back wheels seem to have too much hub showing, Antar has wheel disc near the end of the half shaft. Single air intake suggests smaller engine than Antar, Possibly a Thornycroft Diesel. All antars I know of have twin filters on the intage.

Apart from a tropical roof instead of a small sun visor, it appears to be one of these......

bigben1-1.jpg

Big Ben dump truck

Edited by antarmike

I have never seen the Martian Recovery main winch out of a chassis. Is the Mk1 Antar winch possibly the same as the Martian Recovery????

Was the Antar winch not mechanical and chain driven? Martian recovery had a 2 speed hydraulic winch.

Was the Antar winch not mechanical and chain driven? Martian recovery had a 2 speed hydraulic winch.

Yes you are right but Foden, I believe, fitted both mechanically driven and Hydraulically driven Darlington type 80's to heavy haulage tractors, essentially the same winch in each installation.

Could be wrong about this one but I think I am right.