Antar Gallery

Oh...........

My............

Word.................!

That brought a few memories flooding back!

Very interesting to see the end users of all our hard work. I often wondered who the two old Polish guys with the long white beards were. They would pitch up in Mk2 ballast with the biggest living tent on top and would drop vehicles in the yard and stay over for a while. Once they dropped a D8 Cat in the middle of the yard and we, not being equipped for tracks, used it as a traffic island for a couple of years.

Queens Silver Jubilee in 1977 maybe?

Ooooh no....

It had been decided that to commemorate the immense service that the regiment had given to life the universe and everything that a piece of table silverware would be commissioned - in the shape of a silver antar and trailer.

A voluntary monthly contribution was levied amongst everyone, and I recall it was not an insubstantial sum, and the repayment period was - er - lengthy.

The end result, whilst nice, was, shall we say, modest in size, and the Silver Antar issue became one of regimental lets not go there rather that a magnificent triumph....

So Silver Antar references were legion, and what better way to make a point than to paint the real thing? Miles cheaper and much better!

I think I am still paying for the sterling silver blighter........................

Ooooh no....

It had been decided that to commemorate the immense service that the regiment had given to life the universe and everything that a piece of table silverware would be commissioned - in the shape of a silver antar and trailer.

A voluntary monthly contribution was levied amongst everyone, and I recall it was not an insubstantial sum, and the repayment period was - er - lengthy.

The end result, whilst nice, was, shall we say, modest in size, and the Silver Antar issue became one of regimental lets not go there rather that a magnificent triumph....

So Silver Antar references were legion, and what better way to make a point than to paint the real thing? Miles cheaper and much better!

I think I am still paying for the sterling silver blighter........................

So did the Silver Antar get made in the end? Any pictures?

here is the link to a video about tank transporters in germany. It was a unit i served with and there are lots of antars, the audio is slightly out of sync, but you can still enjoy it

Been staying in Woodhall Spa recently, the bar in the Petwood Hotel is worth a look. Working just down the road. Had chance to find this one :

HI PAUL

yes they made a silver antar model in 1/76 scale for sale to those people interested IN fact saw one only the other

day on the desk of the man who made the 617 video which was on here terry cavender ex 617 tank transporter sqd

REGARDS WALLY

There is also a guy who exhibits a large scale model WW1 tank at Lincoln Steam rally who has got the silver 1/76 model

I asked hai where it came from and he was a bit coy but did mention a Sergeants mess somewhere!!

Let's not get confused between silver-plated, or even Chromium-plated metal as presented to some long-serving members of tt squadrons and solid silver. Very few were made in solid silver and were much larger than 1/76th scale. This is the very expensive piece, Paul is referring to. It is in the forthcoming book!

Mike.

There is also a guy who exhibits a large scale model WW1 tank at Lincoln Steam rally who has got the silver 1/76 model

I asked hai where it came from and he was a bit coy but did mention a Sergeants mess somewhere!!

Cheers. Did a quick Google image search and couldn't find anything. Will post it if aI do

Nope I dont think that the 1980s decade is wrong - I left in 1985 and there was only 1 troop of Commanders in the regiment - the rest were Antars.

Second that, my old ANTAR 12DM60 had a "Special Rebuild" at Fazakerly in 1980 then went back in service.

HI PAUL

yes they made a silver antar model in 1/76 scale for sale to those people interested IN fact saw one only the other

day on the desk of the man who made the 617 video which was on here terry cavender ex 617 tank transporter sqd

REGARDS WALLY

I havent seen Terry Cavender since i left Hamm (617sqn), if memory serves me right he was our quatermaster, he once thanked me for putting out a small fire in the accomadtion block, happy days.

Are you not a decade out with that date?:undecided:

No 617 sqn was the last sqn in the RCT to have the antar in service, the video was made 1987/8 either just before or after we went to Ireland, It was made to comemorate the service of the M.S.O (mixed service organisation).

Been staying in Woodhall Spa recently, the bar in the Petwood Hotel is worth a look. Working just down the road. Had chance to find this one :

Ginge North posted this just before christmas, i had forgotten about it being filmed at the time. Yes Woodhall has a lot of ww2 history apart from the dambusters we housed the 1st Airlanding brigade before they went to Arnhem:-)

Think there are a few more vids on youtube but they are mainly scammel commanders

I havent seen Terry Cavender since i left Hamm (617sqn), if memory serves me right he was our quatermaster, he once thanked me for putting out a small fire in the accomadtion block, happy days.

I was stationed in Newcastle Barracks Hamm until summer 1958 ( 5 Armd Wksps REME) we moved down to Cromwell Barracks (Summer 1958) until my demob (Dec 1958) A group of us from the Wksps have been meeting now for the last 53 years. We went back to Hamm in 1990 to see our old Barracks (Newcastle, it had been turned into a school for the British army, and by 1990 was empty.) Whilst there we went down to Cromwell Barracks (Now 617 Tank trn sq.) it used to be occupied by the MSO Tank transporter people when we were in Newcastle Barracks. Mid 1950s. We asked the guard on the gate if we could have access to the camp, we explained that we had been stationed there. He said that he would go to seek permission, he returned to tell us that the Sgt Major had said No........... we were very dissapointed, we had travelled by bus from various parts of the U.K. That was all a long time ago.......... but it all seems like yesterday.

• 2 months later...
Paul, you are both right and wrong, the one you did for Leconfield was from Rush Green but not the last one.

A few years ago Alan Buckingham of Hinkley tried to by 12DM60 off me when I owned it, when we agreed it was not for sale at the time I told him of the 3 Mk3's residing in Rush Green, the very next day he went and bought 2 of them, one of which he restored to a very fine condition, the other was used for "spares" but never got restored. Alan very suddenly had some health problems and decided to dispose of the majority of his large vehicles. The 2 Antars were sold to a well known dealer in that area and subsequently both passed to an owner in Norfolk. The unrestored one eventually found its way to you and became the Leconfield gate guardian.

I have it on good authority that the 3rd Mk3 Antar was still in Rush Green Motors in October this year (2012). About 6 years ago I did speak to a MV Enthusiast in the Yorkshire area by telephone who said he had bought the 3rd Antar from Rush Green but had not had time to collect it, he even discussed how he was going to get it out and bring it home, as I recall being surprised that he was planning a suspended tow. I have "misplaced" the contact details of the Yorkshire MV Enthusiast so cannot confirm that he still owns the one still stood in Rush Green.

Not sure if the restored ex-Rush Green MK3 is still in Norfolk but I am sure the "Antar book" will reveal this ? Mike B ?

I can confirm that the last of the 3 Rush Green ANTAR Mk3's was still there at 6.15pm last Wednesday when I passed by.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...