Antar Gallery

Have been brousing the Isle of Wight Military History Museum's webiste, and see that they have a Thornycroft Mighty Antar for sale, this vehicle is in need of completion of the restoration, they also have two Dyson Drawbar Trailers for the Antar. For more information please email info@isleofwightmilitaryhistorymuseum.co.uk:cool2::wow::whistle:

Have been brousing the Isle of Wight Military History Museum's webiste, and see that they have a Thornycroft Mighty Antar for sale, this vehicle is in need of completion of the restoration, they also have two Dyson Drawbar Trailers for the Antar. For more information please email info@isleofwightmilitaryhistorymuseum.co.uk:cool2::wow::whistle:

Been on Milweb for some time.....

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Aha....

Definitely 3 Tk Tptr Sqn, probably parked on the old B3 at Gronau during one for the big exercises...the train has its hessian screens and "hidden" fire extinguishers (so the Russians don't know what it is). And I can name at least half of the 3 crews in the picture.....

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Many thanks Plannters,

I so enjoyed reading that press release!

Oooh not sure if thats sarcasm or not... It is the same vehicle as the one on Milweb I believe, just wondered why the resto had been cancelled... Sorry if its not "On topic" so to speak.

However there are some pictures of the beast on there as well that give a much better indication as to its current condition... Not pristine to say the least!

Edited by Plantters

The one on Milweb is available for someone who wants to drive one round rather than have it parked up as a static "gate guardian", however another one is currently being done (by yours truly) for that static display purpose. Confused? Not really - there is a lengthy thread on the subject in the "transporters" section! If this works out it means that not one but two ANTARS are saved.

The one on Milweb is available for someone who wants to drive one round rather than have it parked up as a static "gate guardian", however another one is currently being done (by yours truly) for that static display purpose. Confused? Not really - there is a lengthy thread on the subject in the "transporters" section! If this works out it means that not one but two ANTARS are saved.

Amen Paul. Still very confused as to how it moved from ohh don't butcher her, to Crouch sale item? Is it to do with the rescue funding or somthing more complicated.

Which ever I look forward to seeing her at some show.

PS. Would love to know where the C8SFL went from the future gate Guardian.

Edited by FEC

Amen Paul. Still very confused as to how it moved from ohh don't butcher her, to Crouch sale item? Is it to do with the rescue funding or somthing more complicated.

Which ever I look forward to seeing her at some show.

PS. Would love to know where the C8SFL went from the future gate Guardian.

Last time I saw the C8SFL it was sat in David's yard at Kibworth, don't know if it already had a destination.

• 4 months later...
Confused. com?

The advert shows something where the ballast body would be. Is this something masquerading as a ballast body?

Yes it is a steel body that david built to similar dimensions as the proper one fitted to the Mk3A variants. It also has the hydraulic PTO plumbed in with a spool valve mounted on the rear N/S wing but I cannot recall what it is connected to. This is the ex Cooper Antar.

The wide ones are Mk 1s and 2 with Meteorite petrols and the narrower ones are Mk3s (tractors) and 3as (ballasts) with RR diesels. There are some oddities too I believe and a batch were made with AEC diesels, so you had Mk2s with narrow bonnets.

See more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thornycroft_Antar although I seem to remember that there was more than 1 AEC engined Mk2 (and I think the whole batch of them ended up in Canada).

Although only this side of 300HP they were all quite competent when it came to towing capacity, limited more by the weight of the vehicle than the strength of it - the ballasted vehicles were just shy of 40 tons on 3 axles.

Yes it is a steel body that david built to similar dimensions as the proper one fitted to the Mk3A variants. It also has the hydraulic PTO plumbed in with a spool valve mounted on the rear N/S wing but I cannot recall what it is connected to. This is the ex Cooper Antar.

The hydraulic connectors on the rear wing connected to the hydraulics of the 60 ton trailers which had hydraulic ramps. The 50 ton trailer had mandraulic ramps. The hydraulics were driven by the famous/imfamous "wobble pump", a phrase that still gets whispered amongst "A" tradesmen of a certain vintage.

Sorry Paul. Looks like no ballast body I've ever seen.

There seems to be a niche in the market for a builder of ballast bodies.

Regards.

Ps Who reconditioned the axles?

Pps Warming to see it still has the Fazakerley Engineering contract number in the window (636)

Edited by FEC

• 2 months later...