Antar Gallery

• 2 weeks later...
Nice picture Tony , Looks like an Antar with attitude ! :-D

Andy - looks more like an Antar with Deutz (air cooled)! But maybe the radiators are behind the cab??? Must be a diesel lump in there as I can't see the support bowser :-)

Andy - looks more like an Antar with Deutz (air cooled)! But maybe the radiators are behind the cab??? Must be a diesel lump in there as I can't see the support bowser :-)

Stated life as a MK11 Petrol presumably. No bulges in the top of bonnet to indicate it was a Diesel Meteorite version originally.

Most Mk3's were broken up, so I am not hopeful that it has survived....I don't know, does anyone else?

The date most commonly given for the last Antar in service is 30th Jan 1985.

In the mid 80s I visited a beakers yard in Barnsley. They said that they had striped down dozens of Antar's and containerised them for export but would not say where.

2badfe40.jpg

i used to know where this was ,escapes me for the moment.

This is Fazakerley Engineering Liverpool. Tha Antar Rework Programme. The skinny Ginger in the back ground is me. It was taken by, I think, some 16 tank users on a visit 1975-7 with a officer called Tibble.

This is Fazakerley Engineering Liverpool. Tha Antar Rework Programme. The skinny Ginger in the back ground is me. It was taken by, I think, some 16 tank users on a visit 1975-7 with a officer called Tibble.

Hi and welcome, If you are ex Fazakerley, what do you know about them rebuilding Eager Beaver rough terrain fork lift truck?

When I had an Antar (12DM60) it had a plate in the cab saying FEC SPECIAL REBUILD 1980.

Hi and welcome, If you are ex Fazakerley, what do you know about them rebuilding Eager Beaver rough terrain fork lift truck?

Eager Beavers!!!!!!

They took years off my life. I was the fool given the task of testing them after overhaul. The P&TO 3 in charge of the contract insisted upon a ten mile road test to proof oil leaks.

Spent most of the time in the air.

Eager Beavers!!!!!!

They took years off my life. I was the fool given the task of testing them after overhaul. The P&TO 3 in charge of the contract insisted upon a ten mile road test to proof oil leaks.

Spent most of the time in the air.

02FW96recordcard.jpg

It is just that my Eager Beaver went through Fazakerley, and I am trying to find out who fitted the roll cages to the E.B.'s that stayed in service towards the end, when they were no longer being air transported.

When I had an Antar (12DM60) it had a plate in the cab saying FEC SPECIAL REBUILD 1980.

The plate in this cab was requested as a one off, the vehicle was not part of the rework or any batch contract. It had been BER'd because of a huge amount of collision damage. But the user needed vehicles while awaiting the arrival of the Scammel. The chassis was buggered, the gear box had to be created from a MK2 unit and the parts catalogue, the cab and panels forward of the rear wings had to be re-manufactured on site and the engine was well broken but rebuilt on site to keep the cost down. The rest of the rebuild was no cake walk as the unit had robbed it soft and the two Polish guys who delivered it made off with the prop-shafts.

I have a very good picture of the vehicle in rebuild but am unable to post it because of its file size.

02FW96recordcard.jpg

It is just that my Eager Beaver went through Fazakerley, and I am trying to find out who fitted the roll cages to the E.B.'s that stayed in service towards the end, when they were no longer being air transported.

No, it was not us. The only non air portable we saw were the extreme cold weather ones.

The plate in this cab was requested as a one off, the vehicle was not part of the rework or any batch contract. It had been BER'd because of a huge amount of collision damage. But the user needed vehicles while awaiting the arrival of the Scammel. The chassis was buggered, the gear box had to be created from a MK2 unit and the parts catalogue, the cab and panels forward of the rear wings had to be re-manufactured on site and the engine was well broken but rebuilt on site to keep the cost down. The rest of the rebuild was no cake walk as the unit had robbed it soft and the two Polish guys who delivered it made off with the prop-shafts.

I have a very good picture of the vehicle in rebuild but am unable to post it because of its file size.

I am sure Mervyn Annetts, the current owner of 12 DM 60 would appreciate those photographs. He can be contacted through the Thornycroft Society Ltd.

Hi All

Could I tap into the vast knowledge of Antar custodians and past users.

In my tool box I have a chrome Antar wheel nut I picked up when pulling down a MK11 for overhaul in the mid 70's.

Has anyone else come across them? are they common? or is it possibly from a display model?

Also in tool box, don't know why. I have a MK11 rev counter head, free to anyone with a need for a spare.

Edited by FEC
Wrong description of rev counter

The Civilian Antars (oil pipe line) shown at Earls court had a lot of chromed parts.

Whether the wheel nut was one prepared for these show vehicles I don't know. Thornycroft took "Bulled up" Militay Antars to several Motor shows.

I rather suspect they had suroplus of these special nuts that were just used up on production machines.

Edited by antarmike

Started off with a quick look, but then spent two hours nearly, looking through the pictures and posts!

Lovely stuff indeed.

As a side issue, my son mentioned to me this afternoon that the second shed at Cardington is to have £6 million spent on it in the way of a refurbishment, they are also building a large housing development where the old offices and workshops of RAF Cardington used to be, that may be significantly related to the refurbishment.

Son lives at Shortstown BTW.

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

I found these three films on the British Pathe Newsreel site. First one shows an Antar on test in 1950; the second features the 1950 Motor Show at Earls Court and the third features the RASC at work in 1957 and the vehicles they used, including the Antar and others.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=46970

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=34396

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=75429

I found these three films on the British Pathe Newsreel site. First one shows an Antar on test in 1950; the second features the 1950 Motor Show at Earls Court and the third features the RASC at work in 1957 and the vehicles they used, including the Antar and others.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=46970

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=34396

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=75429

Third feature Diamond T's at work, not Antars.