Antar Gallery

• 3 weeks later...
Not sure if this pictures been on before but it comes from this great old lorry site ! http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~thetyke/id32.htm

Evening Andy, That is the Chris Miller ANTAR ued extensively during the building of the Dinorwic pump storage power station in Wales. It is now in the ownership of Fred & John Lawton in Derby who have a collection of about 50 different Thorneycrofts. They still have at least 2 other MK3 ANTAR's which came from DMD Construction in Cardiff. Dave Weedon of York bought the third one off Fred & John. I have a load of photos of the loading and transport of all 3 back to Derby in the mid 90s, 3 low loaders all carrying yellow and black ANTAR's in convoy back up the M50,M5,M6. Once back at the Lawtons storage facility we managed to get all three running so they could be shoehorned into the shed. Must dig out the pictures and post !

John.

• 2 weeks later...
I decided to try and get Mighty Antar along to Rushden cavalcade. Hopefully Brian Bailey's Antar will be there. We once managed three at this event, Who else can we pursuade to come along to try and beat this...?

Try David Crouch, I was down at his new yard in Market Harborough a few days ago and he had just moved the ex Cooper MK3 into the building down there.

John.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Guys

Dose anyone know if it is possible to find out when a particular Antar was retired from service and were it ended up?

The vehicle I am tracing is a Mk3a 50EK54.

Regards

Most Mk3's were broken up, so I am not hopeful that it has survived....I don't know, does anyone else?

The date most commonly given for the last Antar in service is 30th Jan 1985.

Hi Guys

Dose anyone know if it is possible to find out when a particular Antar was retired from service and were it ended up?

The vehicle I am tracing is a Mk3a 50EK54.

Regards

Picures of 50 EK 52 appear in March edition Of Military Machines international, not much help I know but....

Antar02.jpg

i understand that most mk 3 atars where broken up but dous any one have any info of pic of this one 50 ek 63 ?

i am asking because today i work freind of mine who on seeing my explorer in the work shop braught back memmories of his antar driving days he was in the 19th tank transporter sqaudren 1968 - 1971

i had a look around on the forum and found this pic that andy had poseted of his truck 50 ek 62 also now i have found another he was dead chuffed to see his truck again if only in pictures he sed it braught back many happy memories and wished he had stayd in the army longer .

so if any one can shed some more light on this antar it will be welcommed as he has helpd trace parts for the explorer many a time

thanks

nick

Not all the mk3 Antars had the Motor Panels (rust bucket) cab. The Ex beverley Museum Antar has a totally Fibreglass cab. Fred Lawton owns another example with a glassfibre cab ( oh I wish mine had one too!!!)

22-04-2008215222.jpg

Visited Musem many many times years ago. Drooled over that antar never realized it was a glass fibre cab. Where the cabs genuine fitted at factory or later additions

Visited Musem many many times years ago. Drooled over that antar never realized it was a glass fibre cab. Where the cabs genuine fitted at factory or later additions

I know three which had G.R.P.cabs. The Ex Chris Miller Antar that is with the Lawton's is another. Whether that was from new or not I don't know.