Antar Gallery

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know of a Mk3A that still has the original ballast body. Someone has contactd me to find dimensions of my ballast body so they can build and fit one to their Mk3.

I have tried to explain to them that the ballast body fitted to my Antar is nothing like the 3 / 3A ballst body.

I am trying to get to a 3A with ballast body without having to drive hundreds of miles so I can get the measurements they require.

Mervyn Annetts springs to mind, and Mike Pickup.

I have lost Mike Pickup's phone number, can anyone PM me with this number if you know it.

Failing that can you point me to any other 3A's with ballast body.

Cheers Mike

Does anyone know of a Mk3A that still has the original ballast body. Someone has contactd me to find dimensions of my ballast body so they can build and fit one to their Mk3.

I have tried to explain to them that the ballast body fitted to my Antar is nothing like the 3 / 3A ballst body.

I am trying to get to a 3A with ballast body without having to drive hundreds of miles so I can get the measurements they require.

Mervyn Annetts springs to mind, and Mike Pickup.

I have lost Mike Pickup's phone number, can anyone PM me with this number if you know it.

Failing that can you point me to any other 3A's with ballast body.

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike, as you quite rightly say Mervyn Annets has my old ANTAR Mk3a with the ballast box still on it, i have given Mervyns number to the person who is asking for the information (im sure it will be the same person). I do have a very old number for Mike Pickup which I will PM to you.

John.

The Antar itself is quite rare. It is a very early Mk2 Antar with the fuel tanks above the tool Lockers, not the other way around. This is the specification of the Antars modelled by Matchbox and Dinky but very few were built with the Fuel tanks at the top, (and cab steps are also different, closely resembling the Mk1 steps.)

I can't ever recall seeing a picture of these Antars in Army Service. This arrangement is quite often seen on Antars at FVRDE Chertsey, and that would explain why it does not show a Military Registartion mark.

From memory all previous photograhs of Antars with this fuel tank arrangement have been the Artic. version, I am just going back over my photgrahs to see if I actually have any photograhs of this fuel tank arrangement on a Ballast Tractor.

I'll get back to you....

Edited by antarmike

Yes a picture does exist, taken at FVRDE see middle photo Page 46 of Pat Wares Antar book. There it is coupled to an FV3601 Dyson. I suggest that this is probably the same Antar, and is under test by the FVRDE, although it sems to be out on the road, not on the test track. I suggest it is therefore not allocated to an Army unit.

Edited by antarmike

Mike, I have a picture of an identical trailer but fitted with single wheels not dual and rated at 70 tons. It was supposedly designed by Cranes in 1943 but built by Elliot and Garood. The description states that it consisted of a 2 part frame, hinged so as to cross undulations in the ground. The front half carried 2 rows of 4 wheels and the rear half 3 rows of 4 wheels. Ackerman steering operated on the four outer rows and the bed could be tilted to bring the rear deck close to the ground. It could be that they were uprated to 80 tons by fitting twin wheels in place of singles.

But equally a lot of the FVRDE artic Antar pics show it carrying the hull of FV221 Caernarvon, with abuilt up wooden superstructure of some sort.... Could be Caernarvon again , under this tarp??

fv221_caernarvon_1242626271.jpg

FWIW Caernavon was a stopgap measure during Conqueror development. Two models were built both fitted with Cent Turrets in an adaptor ring, in the Conqueror hull. I don't know wehther this is the 17Pdr or 20 Pdr Centurion turret on this Caernarvon.

Edited by antarmike