Leyland Hippo in Scrap Yard

Invincible Mick

Hi. This WWII Leyland is in a scrapyard in Darlaston, near Wolverhampton. I am told it starts, runs and, drives and as obviously been preserved in the past by it's age related plate. There is a fair bit of work to the cab etc but not that bad really and all original as far as I can see. The asking price is £2500 and ultimately if no one buys it will go for scrap. The scrapyard is Rickards on the A41 island and they will not take kindly to time wasters. 100_1011.jpg

100_1010.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that looks great to me,

what does 'they will not take kindly to time wasters'...mean...

They will put your car in the crusher if you go to merely take pictures, kick the tyres, or complain about the state of the scrap metal industry... ;)

trevor

I doubt they would ever scrap this lorry, it's just in a dealers yard as scrap value has gone down to 60 a ton, and the hippo weighing 10-11 ton max?? It would never come to £2500 in the scrap.

However i have sent a pm about her & waiting for a reply as I'm half intersted, Bill.

I doubt they would ever scrap this lorry, it's just in a dealers yard as scrap value has gone down to 60 a ton, and the hippo weighing 10-11 ton max?? It would never come to £2500 in the scrap.

However i have sent a pm about her & waiting for a reply as I'm half intersted, Bill.

Bill.

In case you haven't received my PM reply the yard is actually located on the large island where the A41 and A444 Black Country New Road meet. Its a large vehicle dealers and scrap yard with rows of lorries for sale on the front. Its about 4 miles off J10 of the M6.

Their number is 0121 526 3109. The address given by google is 1 Church Street, Darlaston, WS10 8DS but I don't think that this is the yard so beware of instructions from Sat Nav.

What I mean when I say they will have little time for time wasters is that this is a business with a large turnover of vehicles at 10 -20K apiece and the Leyland is peanuts in the scale of things.

It is far too good to scrap, especially after surviving 70 years, but they have scrapped old motors in the past.

Mick

I hate to say this but from previous experiance the hippo will end up going to china. Over the years I have saved a lot of vehicles from scrap yards (including a mk2b and a mk2a hippo)Some that I have found I have advertised on various websites as they have been either to big or not in my interest range but need to be saved. and people get all excited and go me me me me me want want want mine mine mine for ages and then say oh dear wife wont let me have it or some lame excuse like they need to get a new wiper blade for their car.. so sorry to moan but I would like to say bye bye to the lovely mk2a hippo now!!

I think you may be right, I would have liked to save it but distances involved and cost of transporting something that size start to make a cheap vehicle dear, add in the work it would no doubt need on the cab, brakes, engine etc and you are in the region of what a known ready to drive one is worth. Unless someone has either his own transport firm OR lives very close to its location it can soon be a non viable proposition. I hope it is saved but it may be too late, I looked on the DVLA website it wasn't registered until 1989 and has not been on the road for donkeys years, EVERYTHING will need replacing or reconditioning and it is an unknown quantity as to what the actual mechanical condition is really like. I have seen MANY running driving vehicles advertised that I wouldn't attempt to drive to the end of my street in. Break down in something this size and it's BIG money to recover.

I looked on the DVLA website it wasn't registered until 1989 and has not been on the road for donkeys years, EVERYTHING will need replacing or reconditioning and it is an unknown quantity as to what the actual mechanical condition is really like. I have seen MANY running driving vehicles advertised that I wouldn't attempt to drive to the end of my street in. Break down in something this size and it's BIG money to recover.

I would bet that this Hippo was one of a number that came out of reserve storage in late 1970's or so. When I worked for the army, a number came to a nearby vehicle pool (TMP) and were issued out to units when they required a 10 tonner. We were still able to draw some spares from RAOC. I understood they had come from the Antwerp Vehicle Depot. They were in remarkable condition at the time.

I would bet that this Hippo was one of a number that came out of reserve storage in late 1970's or so. When I worked for the army, a number came to a nearby vehicle pool (TMP) and were issued out to units when they required a 10 tonner. We were still able to draw some spares from RAOC. I understood they had come from the Antwerp Vehicle Depot. They were in remarkable condition at the time.

Richard - I came across another Hippo at a show I took my goddess to here in the East Midlands last year or the year before and on reading its potted history and chatting to the owner was staggered that, in line woth what you said, it was issued from TMP to 156 Tpt Regt RCT (a TA tpt regt) for an exercise in about 1980 / 1981!

Judging by the lack of indicators on the front quarter panels of the cab I would suggest that this was released from service before the 70s. All hippos were updated to the large butler (or was it lucas? cant remember off the top of my head) type lights fitted to stalks welded to the side of the front panel. Mine escaped this mod due to being released in 68. But I guess if it was hidden in the depths of a storage facility somewhere it may have been passed by.

Sadly people often pass the old hippos by as slow, clumsy, not much to look at etc etc also the hassle of storing the beasts. Its no good to store them outside long term. The other problem is the lack of spares, most parts you have to make or repair. Having said that they are great trucks and very nimble!!! will out handle a diamond t or jimmy in an auto test any day of the week!

I hate to say it but it will probably sit there for a couple of years then get scrapped.. Hope somebody proves me wrong? :cry:

The remains of the indicators are there, below the sidelights, my Hippo had them mounted on the sidelight brackets. It is sad but I agree with above comments it will probably end up being scrapped, as previosly mentioned there have been several ready to drive away restored examples for sale for a couple of years with very little interest,for what it would cost to buy/restore this one which is why this Hippo and others in the past ended up where it is, so it does not really make this one a viable proposition to save

Edited by Nick Johns

I go along with all the views aired above. But they do have one thing on common - they are based on the assumption that nobody would bother to buy this and do something with it if the likely cost were to exceed its end value.

This is a great old truck for the money, even if it is unlikely to earn any interest on the capital invested. But spare a thought for the value of enjoyment in titivating, driving and rallying it?

At least if it is lucky enough to be saved, its saviour will probably be a real enthusiast rather than an investor collector.

I go along with all the views aired above. But they do have one thing on common - they are based on the assumption that nobody would bother to buy this and do something with it if the likely cost were to exceed its end value.

This is a great old truck for the money, even if it is unlikely to earn any interest on the capital invested. But spare a thought for the value of enjoyment in titivating, driving and rallying it?

At least if it is lucky enough to be saved, its saviour will probably be a real enthusiast rather than an investor collector.

Tony,

I think the point people are making is there is already a choice of restored ones available and ready to rally for less than it would cost to do this one up. Sadly it's probably only viable for someone who is local to it, has access to a cheap way of transporting it, and can get it for less than the stated price.

I agree it's unpleasant when economics becomes the governing factor.

- MG