Spitfires in Italy 1944

Adrian Dwyer

My late father-in-law (Blagdon, but known as Blag or, to his ever-dwindling band of RAF friends, 'Adj') spent many, many flying hours in 1942-43 training as a fighter pilot.  However, much of his war was spent chasing Nazis up Italy towards the Fatherland.  He spoke little about his operational flying and would shrug-off my questions, on the whole, by saying "dear boy, it was late in the war and not much was going on".  Later, when I was serving with the Royal Engineers, he would occasionally let slip the odd nugget.  I say nugget because to me his recollections were gold. To him they must have represented a time of high emotion: the loss rate amongst his squadron was high because their slender MkVIII Spitfires were re-rolled as fighter-bombers.  Most sorties by his squadron involved low-level attacks against ground targets.  The targets in question seem to have had access to significant anti-aircraft resources.  The combat reports I have seen suggest few pilots had the altitude - or opportunity - to bale out when hit.  His logbook entries are so even in tone but what they describe is often harrowing in detail.

For your interest I have attached some of the images we found when going through the attic.  There is also one page from his logbook - giving some indication of the intensity of ops.

A

Section with ZXR.jpg

View from dispersal .jpg

Blag spit cockpit.JPG

Logbook April 44.JPG

modified prop 1.jpg

Edited by Adrian Dwyer
typo. Photo changed for better resolution image.
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, john1950 said:

This kind of material is Historical Gold. Thanks for posting.

Thanks John.  As I don't own a Spitfire . . . I did wonder whether this type of general post would be welcome.  I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

When Blag joined 145 Squadron, Desert Air Force, it was commanded by Neville Duke.  The attached photo shows ND, front row, looking very Desert Air Force, and the newly-posted Blag, far left.

Squadron early 44.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Adrian Dwyer said:

My late father-in-law (Blagdon, but known as Blag or, to his ever-dwindling band of RAF friends, 'Adg') spent many, many flying hours in 1942-43 training as a fighter pilot.  However, much of his war was spent chasing Nazis up Italy towards the Fatherland.  He spoke little about his operational flying and would shrug-off my questions, on the whole, by saying "dear boy, it was late in the war and not much was going on".  Later, when I was serving with the Royal Engineers, he would occasionally let slip the odd nugget.  I say nugget because to me his recollections were gold. To him they must have represented a time of high emotion: the loss rate amongst his squadron was high because their slender MkVIII Spitfires were re-rolled as fighter-bombers.  Most sorties by his squadron involved low-level attacks against ground targets.  The targets in question seem to have had access to significant anti-aircraft resources.  The combat reports I have seen suggest few pilots had the altitude - or opportunity - to bale out when hit.  His logbook entries are so even in tone but what they describe is often harrowing in detail.

For your interest I have attached some of the images we found when going through the attic.  There is also one page from his logbook - giving some indication of the intensity of ops.

A

Section with ZXR.jpg

View from dispersal .jpg

Blag spit cockpit.JPG

Logbook April 44.JPG

modified prop.jpg

Two items of Blag's kit.

whistle compass.JPG

• Like 2

Section post-op maintenance at, I think, Fano.  The Spitfire with the 'modified' propellor shown in the first post was a result of the hydraulics being seriously perforated and the U/C remaining unlowered for a bumpy landing.  (So, the end of the war and not much happening, eh?)  As the logbook entry shows for 5-18 April 1944, 145 Squadron Spitfires were being pushed quite hard.  Blag always spoke very fondly of the boys who kept him flying.

Section lineup.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mk3iain said:

Fantastic thread Adrian, huge thanks !

We were still being issued those tags in the 70s and 80s ( with our own details of course 🙂  ).

Thanks Iain.  It was only when we found his logbook the true picture of Blag's war became apparent.  He didn't have a lot of bits and pieces left; but last year I managed, by chance, to locate and purchase his flying jacket.  On a Sunny but cold day I wear it whilst riding the 1942 3HW (the 3HW 'elastico' thread is on the motorcycle forum).  Blag acquired the jacket from a nearby bomber squadron - as he and the other replacement pilots (now there's a poignant phrase) had arrived from hotter climes and Irvins were not available for issue in the Italian Spring of '44 (it was all supposed to be wrapped up by the summer, he was told).  By the September things were getting chilly in the cockpit and either (a) a deal was done: liberated alcohol for jackets or (b) the bomber squadron was plied with alcohol and their 'spare' Irvins redistributed in accordance with age-old military custom and practice!  Blag was a little hazy on this point . . .

Blag's huge Irvin jacket.JPG

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Adrian Dwyer said:

Thanks John.  As I don't own a Spitfire . . . I did wonder whether this type of general post would be welcome.  I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

When Blag joined 145 Squadron, Desert Air Force, it was commanded by Neville Duke.  The attached photo shows ND, front row, looking very Desert Air Force, and the newly-posted Blag, far left.

Squadron early 44.jpg

This cartoon was within the pages of Blagdon's logbook.  It typifies DAF officers!

DAF cartoon.jpg

40 minutes ago, john1950 said:

What a shame he is not here to weadle a first hand account of his exploits out of.

He was a very modest man.  The fact he spoke so little about his war was, I think, typical of people of that generation: particularly those in the thick of it.  He did, however, mention that when he arrived at 145 Squadron the only alcohol available was liberated vermouth - of which he imbibed freely.  He awoke the next morning in a field having been unable to locate his tent.  Squadron ops commenced at 0600: how we laughed!  It was only years later, via the diving store at 28 Amphibious Engineer Regiment, that I learned of the restorative effects of oxygen . . .

His other great story was that he could not swim, so: wore a kapok buoyancy aid (made by his mother), and an ex-Luftwaffe self-inflating life jacket and, quite possibly, a Mae West!  It may be just as well that his forced landings were always over terra firma! 

As you can probably tell, I really do miss him!

80956419-815C-4C9D-B3A3-B54371214D0F.JPG

B44FC358-20E3-48AB-A827-7E47D31FE804.jpg

ADD320FE-0097-4531-B190-26925A2DBFBF.JPG

For anyone interested to know more about his 69 Spitfires, there is a wealth of fascinating information on the 'All Spitfire Pilots' site: just search for B C Britton in the pilot section.

I have some images of other aircraft he flew and will put those into a new thread.

PHOTO-2022-08-05-22-14-53.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, earlymb said:

Those photo's and stories are absolutely amazing! Have you ever considered to publish them in a book?

That being said, it might be a good idea to watermark your images you post of public forums?

Thanks.  It seems I am the only person in the family he shared much with; and by then it was quite late in the day.  I have pieced together bits and pieces from combat reports but much of the richness of his flying days died with him.  He must have been one of the younger pilots when he joined 145 Sqn (aged 22), so I am guessing the chance of firsthand accounts from anyone else are a bit unlikely now. 

Re: watermarking of photos, I'd be a bit miffed if anyone tried to sell them but I feel Blag would be delighted that after years in the dark they were being enjoyed again.  I am just hunting for photos of his Mustangs and will add them to the 'Before and after Spitfires in Italy' thread.

Thanks again.

Yours in Vermouth!

A

21 hours ago, Adrian Dwyer said:

Thanks Iain.  It was only when we found his logbook the true picture of Blag's war became apparent.  He didn't have a lot of bits and pieces left; but last year I managed, by chance, to locate and purchase his flying jacket.  On a Sunny but cold day I wear it whilst riding the 1942 3HW (the 3HW 'elastico' thread is on the motorcycle forum).  Blag acquired the jacket from a nearby bomber squadron - as he and the other replacement pilots (now there's a poignant phrase) had arrived from hotter climes and Irvins were not available for issue in the Italian Spring of '44 (it was all supposed to be wrapped up by the summer, he was told).  By the September things were getting chilly in the cockpit and either (a) a deal was done: liberated alcohol for jackets or (b) the bomber squadron was plied with alcohol and their 'spare' Irvins redistributed in accordance with age-old military custom and practice!  Blag was a little hazy on this point . . .

Blag's huge Irvin jacket.JPG

How did you come across his jacket ?  Amazing and in great condition.

My father was much the same about his experience as a pow, just the odd snippet as I grew up.  Later I have managed to find reference online to much of what I can remember him saying and it all fitted !

Keep it coming Adrian, the little snippets are getting lost now...

11 minutes ago, Mk3iain said:

How did you come across his jacket ?  Amazing and in great condition.

My father was much the same about his experience as a pow, just the odd snippet as I grew up.  Later I have managed to find reference online to much of what I can remember him saying and it all fitted !

Keep it coming Adrian, the little snippets are getting lost now...

Iain - you are absolutely right about the snippets of WW2 history becoming lost.

The jacket is a you couldn't make it up tale and I still pinch myself.  It really requires a comfy pub and a vermouth but, as you have asked . . . I knew about Blag's acquired flying jacket (a wired variant issued mainly to bomber crews) and, when I got the 3HW, felt a 1942 bike deserved a rider with a wartime flying jacket.  I knew Blag's was long-gone (sold with other bits and pieces of uniform to a London collector in the East End many decades previously) so I simply set out to get as close as I could to the type he had described.  The problem for those of us of a certain age wanting to wear fighter pilot apparel is that WW2 fighter pilots were not, typically, 44" chest.   My hunting - over a period of almost 5-years - produced any number of smaller sizes but nothing as large as Blagdon's (remember, he wore extra buoyancy and woolly jumpers under his).  However, the hunt was a challenge and I learned much about wartime jackets (thanks in part to the ever-helpful David, from the Historic Flying Clothing Company).  With me so far?

Ebay is the natural home to the secondhand flying jacket market (the good, the bad and the ghastly) and, one day, a large size wired jacket appeared.  It had had some iffy work done to remove some of the wires but was, within limits, sound.  The owner was a decent chap and I asked if it had history or was named.  No, came the reply.  Eventually, we agreed a price and the jacket arrived.  It's dated 1939 and is, I think, one of the largest sizes made.  This makes it a relatively rare beast.  The sleeves had be turned back - in antiquity - to suite someone with shorter arms, the stitching had been repaired with varying degrees of skill and it needed a quick clean and a good feed (Pecard leather dressing being, in my view the only option).  So, one sunny day I sat in the garden and began a diligent and systematic fettling process.  Pure joy.

The last elements I tackled were the leather tags on the AM zips.  As I rubbed the tag on the main zip the sun caught a tiny flash of the colour blue.  I rubbed a bit harder before realising this was destroying what I wanted to see.  (At this stage I had no expectation that the jacket was Blag's.)  More careful cleaning revealed a name beginning with B.  It was at this point I became truly intrigued and excited in equal measure.  The name was, so far as I could see BOB.  This is not what I wanted; but however I looked at it, the same three letters shone back at me.  Cleaning was suspended for the day with thoughts of what could have been.

The next day I looked again: still BOB . . . but not quite.  I took a picture and sent it to my whizzy computer graphics expert son.  He put filters on it, enlarged and sharpened.  It was still BOB but, and this is a big but, it was BoB.  A different filter was used and the contrast tweaked.  It was actually BcB, written with a very distinctive slant.  I showed my wife and my mother-in-law:  Blag! they both exclaimed.  What I had initially read as BoB were the distinctive initials of Blagdon Cecil Britton.  Now, you may feel there is an element of the willing suspension of disbelief at work here, but look at the image and tell me what you think.  If you disagree you can argue the toss with my mother-in-law!

As a quick sanity check, I contacted the previous owner again.  He had never noticed the initials and did not know any history.  But he did still have the details of the seller from whom he bought it and contacted them on my behalf.  They kindly went back to their previous owner who was able to add a little more light.  The jacket had been bought in a job lot when a london collector in the East End was selling up.  On balance, and accepting I really want to believe it, there is nothing for me that stands tall as a show-stopper.  And, from a statistical perspective, the number of huge-size wired jackets still around is much smaller than the size 38" more common types.  As Terry Pratchett noted, "million to one chances crop up nine times out of ten".  I'm going with those odds! 

If you are still with me, thank you for persevering.  The hunt for his other flying kit continues but I am less hopeful as nothing will be as distinctive as his jacket!

All the best.

A

zip pull.jpg

BcB blue filter.JPG

46 AM Tag.JPG

sig BcB.jpg

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Adrian Dwyer said:

Iain - you are absolutely right about the snippets of WW2 history becoming lost.

The jacket is a you couldn't make it up tale and I still pinch myself.  It really requires a comfy pub and a vermouth but, as you have asked . . . I knew about Blag's acquired flying jacket (a wired variant issued mainly to bomber crews) and, when I got the 3HW, felt a 1942 bike deserved a rider with a wartime flying jacket.  I knew Blag's was long-gone (sold with other bits and pieces of uniform to a London collector in the East End many decades previously) so I simply set out to get as close as I could to the type he had described.  The problem for those of us of a certain age wanting to wear fighter pilot apparel is that WW2 fighter pilots were not, typically, 44" chest.   My hunting - over a period of almost 5-years - produced any number of smaller sizes but nothing as large as Blagdon's (remember, he wore extra buoyancy and woolly jumpers under his).  However, the hunt was a challenge and I learned much about wartime jackets (thanks in part to the ever-helpful David, from the Historic Flying Clothing Company).  With me so far?

Ebay is the natural home to the secondhand flying jacket market (the good, the bad and the ghastly) and, one day, a large size wired jacket appeared.  It had had some iffy work done to remove some of the wires but was, within limits, sound.  The owner was a decent chap and I asked if it had history or was named.  No, came the reply.  Eventually, we agreed a price and the jacket arrived.  It's dated 1939 and is, I think, one of the largest sizes made.  This makes it a relatively rare beast.  The sleeves had be turned back - in antiquity - to suite someone with shorter arms, the stitching had been repaired with varying degrees of skill and it needed a quick clean and a good feed (Pecard leather dressing being, in my view the only option).  So, one sunny day I sat in the garden and began a diligent and systematic fettling process.  Pure joy.

The last elements I tackled were the leather tags on the AM zips.  As I rubbed the tag on the main zip the sun caught a tiny flash of the colour blue.  I rubbed a bit harder before realising this was destroying what I wanted to see.  (At this stage I had no expectation that the jacket was Blag's.)  More careful cleaning revealed a name beginning with B.  It was at this point I became truly intrigued and excited in equal measure.  The name was, so far as I could see BOB.  This is not what I wanted; but however I looked at it, the same three letters shone back at me.  Cleaning was suspended for the day with thoughts of what could have been.

The next day I looked again: still BOB . . . but not quite.  I took a picture and sent it to my whizzy computer graphics expert son.  He put filters on it, enlarged and sharpened.  It was still BOB but, and this is a big but, it was BoB.  A different filter was used and the contrast tweaked.  It was actually BcB, written with a very distinctive slant.  I showed my wife and my mother-in-law:  Blag! they both exclaimed.  What I had initially read as BoB were the distinctive initials of Blagdon Cecil Britton.  Now, you may feel there is an element of the willing suspension of disbelief at work here, but look at the image and tell me what you think.  If you disagree you can argue the toss with my mother-in-law!

As a quick sanity check, I contacted the previous owner again.  He had never noticed the initials and did not know any history.  But he did still have the details of the seller from whom he bought it and contacted them on my behalf.  They kindly went back to their previous owner who was able to add a little more light.  The jacket had been bought in a job lot when a london collector in the East End was selling up.  On balance, and accepting I really want to believe it, there is nothing for me that stands tall as a show-stopper.  And, from a statistical perspective, the number of huge-size wired jackets still around is much smaller than the size 38" more common types.  As Terry Pratchett noted, "million to one chances crop up nine times out of ten".  I'm going with those odds! 

If you are still with me, thank you for persevering.  The hunt for his other flying kit continues but I am less hopeful as nothing will be as distinctive as his jacket!

All the best.

A

zip pull.jpg

BcB blue filter.JPG

46 AM Tag.JPG

sig BcB.jpg

That certainly looks the same as his signature, quite distinctive !

Something to be treasured and even better if used .

Edited by Mk3iain

On 8/5/2023 at 1:45 PM, Adrian Dwyer said:

Section post-op maintenance at, I think, Fano.  The Spitfire with the 'modified' propellor shown in the first post was a result of the hydraulics being seriously perforated and the U/C remaining unlowered for a bumpy landing.  (So, the end of the war and not much happening, eh?)  As the logbook entry shows for 5-18 April 1944, 145 Squadron Spitfires were being pushed quite hard.  Blag always spoke very fondly of the boys who kept him flying.

Section lineup.jpg

I think the next image shows some of the boys who kept Blag's Section aloft.

145 pilots and crew.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 10:23 AM, Adrian Dwyer said:

Squadron early 44.jpg

Blag sent the attached press cutting home to his parents.  It was then stuck into his logbook.  It is on the page dated 30 Aug 1944.

ND press cutting.jpg

• Like 1