How do you park your vehicle? Hand brake on or off?

robin craig

Question

Gents,

Let me set the scene for the above question.

You are parking in your level dry storage shed NOT at an event etc etc.

You will not be using the vehicle, ie making it roll for perhaps 5 months because of lets say winter, or planned lobotomy, or whatever.

So, do you leave the vehicle in gear and leave the brakes off or do you chance seized hand brakes?

Im retreating to my bunker now, keep it clean.

Let the replies begin

R

16 answers to this question

best way up on stands underneath hull not suspension would not want to have springs compressed for 5 months batts disconected wheel corners all greased up ,fluid levels to full,silica dessicant in fighting compartment,put batts on a optimate device will give a charge as required, check antifreeze ratio ,you could be really keen and every month turn engine with starting handle as well.

Some grand replies, I was hoping to hear other storage tips as some added.

I was hoping to hear about fuel as well, my thought is to brim off tank to reduce the chances of condensation and add prodigous amounts of fuel stabiliser in the gas (read petrol). We have moved away from our lower grades of gasoline as they have 10% ethanol in them which is causing grief to everyone.

R

It is quite interesting to see the differing responses. I know in the Army we had some guidlines but the only ones I recall are chucking a few silica bags in the cab (the reusable type) and squirting or more correctly spraying the cylinders (but cant recall with what)

We try to run-up the engine every couple of weeks, operate the brake pedal and hand brake to try to keep things moving, its all a balancing act really, a little regular light use has got to be the best way. The brakes on our halftrack are seized with lack of use, but at over six pounds a gallon, they can stay seized!!!!!!!!:goodidea:

It is quite interesting to see the differing responses. I know in the Army we had some guidlines but the only ones I recall are chucking a few silica bags in the cab (the reusable type) and squirting or more correctly spraying the cylinders (but cant recall with what)

I've got a couple of these moisture traps inside too. (plus quite a few elsewhere too) It's amazing how much water they absorb.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/quest-streamline-moisture-trap-caravanning-water-fitting-p143820

Refil: (cheapest supplier of 2.5kg bags I can find)

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/quest-kontrol-krystals-2-5kg-caravanning-water-fitting-p143812