Landrover Gallery.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

My recollection was that Land Rover pulled out because they did not have a suitable diesel for the Llama, the 2.5 would have been a bit small I guess. Think that all the other competitors vehicles were diesel.

Yes Richard you're right about the diesel but I understood that this could have been overcome but LR didn't carry on because the 'politicos' had already made the decision in favour of the RB340 and any further developement would have been a waste of money. Not sure if its still there but there used to be a Llama at the factory used as a yard hack.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

here are some pictures of our lightweight and our carawagon:

lightweight pictures were taken at re-enactment events in Bastogne and Bussum.

Carawagon(with trailer) was taken in the Belgian army barracks @ Brasschaat (Artillery).

Piet

Untitled-39.jpg

21.jpg

Untitled-44.jpg

3521889256_0bd35b46a6_o.jpg

PW5.jpg

PW4.jpg

DSC_0151.JPG

Not sure if its still there but there used to be a Llama at the factory used as a yard hack.

I am right in thinking that there is a Llama attends the GDSF regularly ?

Think the showcard states that it was assembled from unused components . Antarmike will probably know . Think I have a photo of the vehicle I have in mind - will try to find it later .

Daz I think you'll find the Reynolds Boughton RB340 was the vehicle chosen in place of the LLama, the Pinzgauer came along much later.

Although it was common knowledge that the Llama was a far superior vehicle the decision was said to have been made on political grounds....whatever that means.

The story goes that Reynolds Boughton did a lot of development work on the DROPS system, but weren't given the contract, and that the RB44 contract was given to them as a bit of a payback for all the R&D money they had poured at drops.....

Edited by antarmike

Yep, that was my understanding too, typical political interference that meant the army got a pile of crap. Remember watching a TV prog about DROPS development years ago, RB wouldn't comment at the time as another military contract was pending!!

Another one I heard was that LR offered to re-engine and rebuild the 101s but was turned down due to the decision on the RB44s.

That M reg Llama was built up from a chassis etc much later, I believe the owner had fun getting it SVA'd, appeared in a couple of the comics.

Dunsfold have one also.

Thanks for the info on the Llama guys. Didn't know RB were in on the DROPS contract. I'm sure Dunsfold have one too and remember seeing something about a potential programme to refurb the 101's. Daz

Remember watching a TV prog about DROPS development years ago, RB wouldn't comment at the time as another military contract was pending!!

The RB system was known as Ampliroll and trialled on the old 16 tonne Foden 8x4 lorries. Not their own system, RB marketed it for a French company.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know anything about the landrovers registered with G WAC registration numbers i know the first discoverys carried this series of numbers but what about the 90 110 defenders G90WAC AND G110WAC what were these used for they were both registered by Landrover

Anyone know anything about the landrovers registered with G WAC registration numbers i know the first discoverys carried this series of numbers but what about the 90 110 defenders G90WAC AND G110WAC what were these used for they were both registered by Landrover

They would of been used for any job rover wanted be it demonstraters or off rd exhibts.look for very clean chassis etc or signs of repaint sand in corners etc,if they were on the off rd course they would of been pressure washed evey day.:shake:

They would of been used for any job rover wanted be it demonstraters or off rd exhibts.look for very clean chassis etc or signs of repaint sand in corners etc,if they were on the off rd course they would of been pressure washed evey day.:shake:

G110WAC is now eastnor green but the paint underneath is Sand colour ,the interior is a lot newer than the rest of the vehicle and it was sold from a main dealer in lincoln at about 4 years old .

The place to work for Land Rover was Bluewater! They had the Land Rover experience there. A friend was one of the drivers. The seat stainer was half way up a cliff going over about thity feet damm near vertical, you could see the car park at the shopping centre through the sun roof. Allegedly one of the Rover guys took a 90 up it!

You could try Landrover traceability if there still going,i havnt got there number anymore,they may help.

The Witham Land Rover with dish was a response to an Op Telic 1 UOR, known as Dagger Det, two worked with 30 Sig Rgt, there may have been another 2 with 2 Sig Rgt. It was used for Comms not tracking and gave 30 a greater bandwidth than their existing kit. It would have had a multiplexing switch system in the back with a digital telephone exchange.

An interesting bit of kit.

HTH

Peter

The Witham Land Rover with dish was a response to an Op Telic 1 UOR, known as Dagger Det, two worked with 30 Sig Rgt, there may have been another 2 with 2 Sig Rgt. It was used for Comms not tracking and gave 30 a greater bandwidth than their existing kit. It would have had a multiplexing switch system in the back with a digital telephone exchange.

An interesting bit of kit.

HTH

Peter

:thanx: Do you know if it was TD5 cheers CW.

I had a look at them today, I think there were 4 or 5. 3 were painted pink, one was green and another was blue with EUFOR on the side. They are civvie spec TD5 hard tops with loads of kit in the back. One even had a laptop still connected!

I had a look at them today, I think there were 4 or 5. 3 were painted pink, one was green and another was blue with EUFOR on the side. They are civvie spec TD5 hard tops with loads of kit in the back. One even had a laptop still connected!

Civie spec that explains it ,cheers CW.

This is my latest toy.

A series 3 Lightweight.

When bought it was in the markings of the Defense Fire Service. I have since learned that these "blues and two's" were an add on by a previous owner. The Landrover came with a display board for 93KA83 so I thought I had it's history.

I was wrong.

I've talked to a previous owner of 93KA83 who knows that when he sold the LWT to Blanchards, the vehicle was sold on to a lad from Glasgow without the blues etc.

The blues and two's were aquired by another LWT owner near York.

I bought it from the York lad and removed the lights Which are probably on a jeep by now (hello Brian). Different things about the vehicle made me think it was older that the V5 stated, which states manufactured 1978.

It didn't help when people come up to me and ask why a Series 2A is on a "S" reg.

So I applied for a heritage certificate which came today after 3 weeks waiting.

The certificate states it is a 1972 LHD export model.

So now I can apply for historic tax status.

At some point it was changed to RHD (Nick Johns gives a good reason for this)

George

george 001.jpg

george 003.jpg