New event - Hampshire

You make an interesting point, particularly as it's only £5 as a spectator, but entry does include driver and passenger so I guess that covers that. I've looked a several shows this year and all required at least £10 plus a booking fee. One was 'sold out' and wanted a booking fee just to be put on the waiting list for next year.

Talking to others on the classic car circuit this sort of thing is becoming normal.

I understand that in the vehicle show world, some owners book in to more than one event on the same date then decide which to go on at the last minute. If they pre-pay an entry fee, then this should stop that game as events suffer if people pre-book then don't turn up.

• Like 1

As a Vintage Car owner too we know this situation all too well....

One event we went to enter last year was just a road run but it was £45 each vehicle to enter!! 

I agree, this trend for classic owners having to pay to exhibit their vehicles is getting my goat, especially when the price equals, or even exceeds that of the paying public.

The only answer is to boycott the event until the organisers get the message that greed will not be tolerated; as the numbers & variety of exhibits declines so will the footfall of punters & the gate takings.

A non-military show at which I have exhibited my classic car at for the past 6 years has announced a  doubling of the fee for this year .. guess who won't be showing their car & a little bird has told me that I am not alone.

On 5/28/2024 at 9:14 AM, norseman 02 said:

I agree, this trend for classic owners having to pay to exhibit their vehicles is getting my goat, especially when the price equals, or even exceeds that of the paying public.

The only answer is to boycott the event until the organisers get the message that greed will not be tolerated; as the numbers & variety of exhibits declines so will the footfall of punters & the gate takings.

A non-military show at which I have exhibited my classic car at for the past 6 years has announced a  doubling of the fee for this year .. guess who won't be showing their car & a little bird has told me that I am not alone.

Yep, Look what Happened to War & Peace!............

58 minutes ago, ferretfixer said:

Yep, Look what Happened to War & Peace!............

Not been there for many years, last visit was when it was still at the Hop Farm .. care to expand on the details ?

Basically the costs went up for attendees so a lot were giving it a miss.

Less attendees is less visitors and less traders etc. So it started cirkeling the drain.

Last time we attended was in 2019 and noticibly more space on the fields and less armour.

Then Corona more or less killed it off.

3 hours ago, norseman 02 said:

Not been there for many years, last visit was when it was still at the Hop Farm .. care to expand on the details ?

Yes, the 'Owner' got too greedy. Annually hiking the price up for Entrants to such a level. That MANY then shunned the show & never went again. It cost's a lot to keep even one Military Vehicle on the road. Plus fuel & Provisions etc, when attending a show. It is standard practice now for MOST folk to avoid ANY show that charges exhibitors!  No Exhibitors = No Show! There are MANY shows around the country. Avoiding any that charge YOU as an exhibitor for attending. When this is the case, dont go & the 'Organisers' will soon get the message!

Posted (edited)

Thanks to both of you for your replies, it is effectively in line with my own previous post.

This trend seemed to start when the lock-downs were eased after Corona & organisers were scabbling to recoup their losses over the previous 18 months or so .. back then exhibitors were as desperate as the punters  to 'get back to normal' & were prepared to swallow their principles.

However there is always two sides to any story & to be fair after talking to someone whose job it is to organise these events I was shocked to hear just how much it actually costs; what with the absurd public liability insurance, caterers', security, the obligatory medical services, hire of the showground, crowd control barriers ('elf 'n safety) the list goes on, resulting in a total that is absolutely horrendous because everyone involved is 'on the make'

My take on the subject remains unchanged .. boycott shows that charge you to exhibit your vehicle.

Edited by norseman 02
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, norseman 02 said:

I was shocked to hear just how much it actually costs; what with the absurd public liability insurance, caterers', security, the obligatory medical services, hire of the showground, crowd control barriers

Surely caterers are paying to be on site rather than being a cost to the event. 

11 hours ago, norseman 02 said:

Thanks to both of you for your replies, it is effectively in line with my own previous post.

This trend seemed to start when the lock-downs were eased after Corona & organisers were scabbling to recoup their losses over the previous 18 months or so .. back then exhibitors were as desperate as the punters  to 'get back to normal' & were prepared to swallow their principles.

However there is always two sides to any story & to be fair after talking to someone whose job it is to organise these events I was shocked to hear just how much it actually costs; what with the absurd public liability insurance, caterers', security, the obligatory medical services, hire of the showground, crowd control barriers ('elf 'n safety) the list goes on, resulting in a total that is absolutely horrendous because everyone involved is 'on the make'

My take on the subject remains unchanged .. boycott shows that charge you to exhibit your vehicle.

I agree about costs.

But a organiser could choose someting Newfangled called....communication, communication and communication....

Be clear and honest. Explain why we the exhibitors pay more than before. I am sure most will understand the rise of costs and also its a income for the organisers..

Also we'd feel appreciated more and not like a cash-cow.

We attended W&P 20 times or so. After the first few years we took a modernish car because travelling was quite a way (Dutch) with the added costs of the Channel Ferry.

But for us it was a holiday and frankly nothing similar in our area. After Corona and the extra hassle due to Brexit it was doubtfull we would have attended in the last few years.

21 hours ago, norseman 02 said:

what with the absurd public liability insurance

What's absurd about the PL insurance, please?

10 hours ago, MatchFuzee said:

Surely caterers are paying to be on site rather than being a cost to the event. 

For a new show in a new location, with no history to provide any indication of likely attendance, or takings for the caterer? I would not be surprised to be told that caterers were not particularly interested, and were quite possibly looking for guarantees, especially bearing in mind that much of their stock-in-trade has to be bought fresh just before the event and is likely to have to be disposed of if not sold there.

1 hour ago, Noel7 said:

What's absurd about the PL insurance, please?

For a new show in a new location, with no history to provide any indication of likely attendance, or takings for the caterer? I would not be surprised to be told that caterers were not particularly interested, and were quite possibly looking for guarantees, especially bearing in mind that much of their stock-in-trade has to be bought fresh just before the event and is likely to have to be disposed of if not sold there.

Sorry, missed out the word 'premium' for the PLI.