SAS Rogue Heroes Rogue Vehicle.

johnwardle

Yes. I was looking forward to watching something of interest on the TV but this wasn't it. The constant use of the F word combined with rather random and unconnected selection of music made it rather a chore to watch.  The best bit was the end, so I shan't be watching any more episodes.

Jon

• Thanks 1

I was left feeling a little underwhelmed by the first episode, but then we must remember it is a dramatisation and not a documentary. 

Like others though the REO stood out. Strange that they went to all that effort to transport a decent number of Second World War vehicles to North Africa and then a post-war vehicle was just dropped in. 

I watched episode 2 last night, it moved faster than the first episode which was better.

I pointed out the Reo to my wife and she simply said 'to us non Military types we wouldn't know its not right?'

In a way I can see that. But, surely researchers for the TV company research the history and period and whats right to fit in or not??

The Humbers are lovely I would say though and they only ever show the Reo in distance shots of the column so I resume they are just filling out the line??

Am up to episode 3 and it certainly gets better, love the music too, so does the wife !

There is a 3 part documentary at the same time (SAS: Rogue Warriors) and after watching that you can see how they have tried to base this drama around real events and done a fairly good job of it.

22 hours ago, Smithy said:

I was left feeling a little underwhelmed by the first episode, but then we must remember it is a dramatisation and not a documentary. 

Like others though the REO stood out. Strange that they went to all that effort to transport a decent number of Second World War vehicles to North Africa and then a post-war vehicle was just dropped in. 

In that case you will love the Tank in episode 6

Generally I enjoyed the series, though there were some slow bits, and I found the romantic sub-plot totally implausible. As for the swearing - well, I expect there was a lot of that in the desert. And as for the soundtrack - you have to remember this was written by the bloke who wrote Peaky Blinders. It's a current fad, using modern music in historical dramas. I'm not the world's greatest expert on military vehicles, but I thought they made a pretty good show of it, right up to the ridiculous tank at the end. What was that? But basically, I don't think you can complain about a show which has a scene of the SAS shooting up a German airfield, when most of the so-called entertainment on TV consists of men dressing up as women, or people making cakes in a tent.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We finished the 6 parts on Saturday and to be honest I would have watched more. I did quite like it, yes parts of it felt wrong but overall I thought it was gritty and clever in places and it was mainstream TV, so many of my friends at work even watched it and have said they thought it was good, giving it a modern twist with the music opened up a bit more to people outside our spheres. I thought the rawness of punk and rock music did help express that gritty rough and downright hard as nails out look of the original chaps involved.

• Like 2

I am at end ep. 4 and think it is f#####g brilliant so far,  bit slow too start with but soon gets into its stride. I love the music and think AC/DC great fit to jeeps and Chevs careering across the desert. The postwar REO 6x6 really did stick out as so much care has been taken with getting a large number of the correct vehicles for the period. Lots of CMPs and Brit stuff .The opening convoy sequence looked great except for the bloody REO

The LRDG Chevrolet 1533's seally looked  the part, I wonder where they were sourced. SAS/LRDG jeeps and kit  also looked the part.

The actor playing ace LRDG navigator Mike Sadler is the spitting image of the real man who only died very recently. The scenes where the LRDG trucks pick up the abortive SAS parachute mission from the desert are excellent.

The swearing is perhaps a little overdone just for effect as everyone swears like a .........er trooper !   and my Northern Irish mate says Paddy Maynes character has been a little too extreme . But overall it is a hit with me.

Got to remember it is entertainment and no doubt WW2 obsessives can pick loads of  small wrong  details out but the overall look and feel is right.  Did I mention  that bloody REO😊

Edited by XS650

No, its awful ,everything points to the 2020's not 1940's. I speed watch it The sequence where a junior officer rolls up to GHQ and is spoken to a private soldier on guard as if he is a nuisance, it would never happen. Saluting with his weapon slung on his left shoulder was totally was/is never done.. You probably like that magnificent film Operation Dunkirk.....

• Up 1

Each to his own.

SAS Rogue  Heroes was not a documentary it was a dramatisation , although from the title it sounds like one. 😊

Cannot stand Dunkirk , one of the worst two hours of my life watching it . Never  been in a cinema since !Did not know whether it was in a plane or a submarine half the time ,and the noise deafened me throughout even with my old man hearing..

• Like 2

I would say that it is on a par with Brad sh*t in fury, I have tried to watch that film several times and the most I managed to watch was 10 minutes. In my humble opinion, if it's fiction they can do what they want but if it's meant to represent an historical event then they should do all they can to keep it historically correct. 

jon

While I don't understand why they use the Reo while they clearly do have a pool of correct vehicles (anyone notice the Ford V3000 in Normandy pattern camo?☺️), I must say the show grew on me and I watched it with interest. I actually did like the modern soundtrack although it surprised me at first.

I would definitely watch a second season, if that's being made.