SAS Rogue Heroes Rogue Vehicle.

johnwardle

Aagh (as  they say in the Victor ) Ep.5 a convoy of postwar Reos prominent in dock scenes, why not use some of the CMP s they have with German markings.

Would have been very prototypical as they used so many captured vehicles.

Craig

Edited by XS650

In my opinion, Steven Knight has written a drama for the BBC that does do justice to that remarkable period on the inception of the SAS. It is written of course as a drama, with dialogue and music appropriate to hold the attention  of today's audiences, vehicles maybe not absolutely accurate, (pretty good really as the production team went to a lot of trouble in Morocco shooting the desert scenes - the Jeeps and LRDG's Chevy are brilliant) but it shows absolutely what a game changer in WWII these soldiers were. Why do I say this, well my uncle was one of those first soldiers recruited by David Stirling to 'L' detachment, being picked out of many, sitting in that hanger in Cairo. Wounded in the raid on Sirte airfield, went on to Sicily, (we think also Crete?) and then 'Operation Houndsworth' in France before & after D Day. I didn't know any of these stories until decades after WWII, and Ben MacIntyres's research & book, but as far as I am aware, it is 'mostly true',  just as the opening credits says!  I'm so pleased as he richly deserved his MM. I actually think the series should be a BAFTA nomination.

• Like 5

I did as well. 

Must admit though, after some early scepticism I'm quite enjoying it. Just finished episode 4 and feel committed now. 

I hear that there will be a second series and potentially up to two more after this according to what James Holland was reporting on his We Have Ways podcast. 

On 11/14/2022 at 10:35 PM, Stevie Hanna said:

Hi all. Can anyone tell me what the leading vehicle is at the start of series 1.

Cheers all.

Lest We Forget 

Steve

Humber 4X4 8cwt PU

2022-11-27 (12).png

2022-11-27 (14).png

Edited by XS650
  • Like 1

After watching series note that the leading vehicles in opening convoy sequence are pretty much all the 'Brit' trucks  used throughout in various guises and locations. 

Leading vehicle is a Humber 8cwt followed by two CMP 3 tonners first with an oh so desert war early cab , second has a strange cab with sloping back windscreen which makes it very obvious in back scenes in various locations. Then there is a LRDG  Chevrolet disguised with canvas cab and tilt , then another Humber 8cwt , then two Bedford MWDs  , then another LRDG Chev in disguise then  lots of REO 6X6s.

Craig

2022-11-27 (9).png

2022-11-27 (1).png

2022-11-27 (19).png

Edited by XS650
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In the last (thank god) episode a Jeep is ambushed by the enemy. The occupants leave the vehicle and use there Tommy guns to return fire. Mounted on the Jeep are four Vickers K guns why not use them ? Also the Germans have a MG34 or 42 the equivalent of a GPMG at a range of, if I remember correctly c.50yds. Not even a chicken straight out of the egg would have survived. Please refer to my previous comment of 27 November...

14 hours ago, XS650 said:

A few more 'Rogue Vehicles' on this axis airfield-

2022-12-17 (121).png

Spotted the Matador bowser and is that a Bedford MW in the foreground?

That said, it’s entirely plausible that the Germans would have made use of captured British vehicles; is there any record of them doing so in North Africa? 
* Edited *  Yes there is. 

Edited by mtskull

I got a reply from one of the advisors to the filming. Pretty much saying that they did what they could with the money they had. The tank and other vehicles were borrowed from the Moroccan army as they couldn’t get hold of an appropriate vehicles in the area (fair enough). No explanation for Winston Churchills son 1980s cap with staybright queens crown badge though.

on a tangent, at least they got the Breda 37 the Italians used in episode 1 correct (I sold it to them), well actually it was a Portuguese M938 but close enough.

AFAIK  there was no such a thing as a Matador 4x4 refuelling tanker in service?

Looks like a Bedford  QL tank.

Agree Germans used a lot of captured vehicles , especially in the free flowing desert war.

Edited by XS650

On 12/18/2022 at 2:56 PM, XS650 said:

AFAIK  there was no such a thing as a Matador 4x4 refuelling tanker in service?

Looks like a Bedford  QL 

Here’s a comparison of the vehicle in question with a QL and a Matador.
Matador 4x4 tankers evidently do exist (see photo a few posts previously); whether or not they are period correct probably wasn’t much of a consideration to the producers, as evidenced by some of their other choices.

26168319-4026-479A-9EA5-9CA25FAFBF34.jpeg

• Like 1