Fordson WOT6

This is now a game of patience, the parts you want are out there it's just a matter of finding them in the world stores. There was a rumour I heard a couple of years ago of three of these vehicles parked in a timber yard in the Scottish boarders. Have you put a wanted advert on Facebook, Soft skinned military vehicles?

I would agree with that. Its the nature of our hobby isn't it, something goes wrong and if its not something we can fix we then have to search for the proverbial hens teeth. Parts are out there, it is a game of advertise and put the word out to everyone you know and then wait...and wait.. 

8 hours ago, john1950 said:

This is now a game of patience, the parts you want are out there it's just a matter of finding them in the world stores. There was a rumour I heard a couple of years ago of three of these vehicles parked in a timber yard in the Scottish boarders. Have you put a wanted advert on Facebook, Soft skinned military vehicles?

I am taking the prop to propshaft services next week so they can see what they can do, as for the pinion, yes it’s worn but worse case scenario it could still be used for the limited miles the truck would cover, I’ll remove the pinion this weekend and have a closer inspection but as you said, the parts are out there it’s just the waiting game, I’ve been on the Fordson fb page and members have been very helpful. 

6 hours ago, Rootes75 said:

I would agree with that. Its the nature of our hobby isn't it, something goes wrong and if its not something we can fix we then have to search for the proverbial hens teeth. Parts are out there, it is a game of advertise and put the word out to everyone you know and then wait...and wait.. 

and then wait some more 🤨

10 hours ago, David Herbert said:

There must be a derelict chassis in a wood somewhere, the back axle is usually about the last piece remaining when everything else has been robbed or rotted away.

David

Hi David 

something will turn up, there’s a box covered in dust somewhere with NOS pinions and crown wheels and no one knows they fit a wot6!! 

4 hours ago, Hair Bear said:

Depending how desperate you get, I know of a Ford D0607 local-ish to you that has a good axle in it, maybe the diff/pinion could be machined to fit perhaps.

Thanks for letting me know, it’s certainly an option if all else fails 👍

I think it’s safe to say the pinion is knackered 🤨

The post service owners must have worked it to death!!

The rear drive bearing is also damaged 

8ACA28FD-69AF-4BA1-90DA-7D2B81B13BAC.thumb.jpeg.2b11774f9e6b92b364aae65f3c4d6280.jpeg

Still exploring various options for replacing the piñon and crown wheel, the piñon is 5 tooth and crown to 38 if anyone spots anything. 

I feel your pain, I really do. I wonder if anyone in the Yorkshire MVT could track this chap down? http://yorkshiremvt.co.uk/articles/stuart/stuart.htm

He might remember if there were any drive line spares, and who bought them. I know, clutching at straws and all that but you never know.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ltwtbarmy said:

I feel your pain, I really do. I wonder if anyone in the Yorkshire MVT could track this chap down? http://yorkshiremvt.co.uk/articles/stuart/stuart.htm

He might remember if there were any drive line spares, and who bought them. I know, clutching at straws and all that but you never know.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I remember that, it was a great find, he’s probably got a stack of NOS rusty pinions in a shed!! 😂 

Any info or leads are greatly appreciated 👍👍

• Like 1

Hi ..just a thought. How about contacting Hindle transport company? ( I think their boss is into military vehicles). Also I seem to remember John Rippingham ( aka Rippo) a Bedford MWD enthusiast had some of this stuff from location.He is ona Facebook  Bedford 15cwt enthusiasts group.Hope this helps.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 67burwood said:

I remember that, it was a great find, he’s probably got a stack of NOS rusty pinions in a shed!! 😂 

Any info or leads are greatly appreciated 👍👍

If it's the same fella, I think he's one of the organisers of the Yorkshire Wartime Experience.

If it IS the same chap, then there's a contact number for him on their webpage:

https://www.yorkshirewartime.co.uk/contacts

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, andy1960 said:

Hi ..just a thought. How about contacting Hindle transport company? ( I think their boss is into military vehicles). Also I seem to remember John Rippingham ( aka Rippo) a Bedford MWD enthusiast had some of this stuff from location.He is ona Facebook  Bedford 15cwt enthusiasts group.Hope this helps.

Is his name Chris? I think that’s who I bought the wot6 from 🤔, it was. Bolton based company 

6 minutes ago, 11th Armoured said:

If it's the same fella, I think he's one of the organisers of the Yorkshire Wartime Experience.

If it IS the same chap, then there's a contact number for him on their webpage:

https://www.yorkshirewartime.co.uk/contacts

That’s great thank you, I’ll give him a call tomorrow and find out 👍👍

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 67burwood said:

That’s great thank you, I’ll give him a call tomorrow and find out 👍👍

Fingers crossed that something good comes out of it - it seems a very cruel kick in the tender bits for the mechanical problems to take the shine off all the brilliant work you've done so far on the restoration 🤞

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 11th Armoured said:

Fingers crossed that something good comes out of it - it seems a very cruel kick in the tender bits for the mechanical problems to take the shine off all the brilliant work you've done so far on the restoration 🤞

“ such is life “ it will get sorted out eventually or just become the first front wheel drive wot6 😁

• Haha 2

While waiting for parts to repair the wot6 rear axle I decided to try and modify a shorter gear-lever, the wot6 gear lever is ridiculously long, you either smack your knuckles on the engine cover, bang your elbow on the back panel or dislocate your shoulder to hit reverse, I didn’t want to cut down the original gear lever just in case it didn’t work so I bought a 7V gear lever which is approximately 8 inches shorter and set about reshaping it.

AB9CCA67-660D-471E-B502-B1C0E5A07F3D.thumb.jpeg.932c891edafd9efe9f4e16592e5eebd0.jpeg

the 7V lever is a simple curve forward unlike the wot6 which is more of a ? After a bit of trial and error plus a blow torch it started to take shape, the hardest bit was reshaping the reverse gate rod and getting the action smooth, it took a bit of time but works a treat.

D3065102-0E8F-4D7B-9DD0-0C6C749EE001.thumb.jpeg.623f0e70aca8ed040286fd8998c50f49.jpeg

Hopefully it will make for a more pleasant driving experience…..eventually 😁

F2FC2369-4606-473F-9319-50493B2D5DAB.thumb.jpeg.ddee19a704f82b7a9450d7abf79413f0.jpeg

• Like 5

Whatever happened to Nordian (Wally Wheatley) in Ongar, Essex. Used to be good for old Ford commercial bits. The business was taken over a while ago?

best go and check my diff oil level.

Peter

Edited by 7VHU
Autocorrect……boo.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 7VHU said:

Whatever happened to Nordian (Wally Wheatley) in Ongar, Essex. Used to be good for old Ford commercial bits. The business was taken over a while ago?

best go and check my diff oil level.

Peter

Ah…..🤔….they need oil……😂

Thanks to members on this forum hopefully some parts have been located, I just need to work out how to retrieve them. 

• Like 1