Fordson WOT6

Congratulations,

This restoration blog has been a perfect show case for skill, determination and endurance.  

It's a first class example of what restoration and preservation is all about as your last set of photos bear witness to. 

What they don't show to the casual observer are the hundreds if not thousands of hours of cutting, grinding, fabrication and welding that happens before a project like yours is complete.

Pete

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Pete Ashby said:

Congratulations,

This restoration blog has been a perfect show case for skill, determination and endurance.  

It's a first class example of what restoration and preservation is all about as your last set of photos bear witness to. 

What they don't show to the casual observer are the hundreds if not thousands of hours of cutting, grinding, fabrication and welding that happens before a project like yours is complete.

Pete

Thanks for your comments Pete, I might take a bit of a break this summer and enjoy the shows before I start the next project 👍👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Scammell4199 said:

Congratulations on a job very well done.

Are you going on OMG 2024?

Richard

Hi Richard 

I’ve been a bit slow on the uptake for shows and trips, could you please point me in the right direction for OMG 2024 details. 

Regards Seamus 

Unless they reopen the bookings for the OMG Tour to fill the spaces of those who have dropped out, its to late now to book.  If you are not into Living History its also is not a tour for you.   Nothing like a MVT Tour.

• Like 1

You are unfortunately well behind schedule on getting in on OMG2024, it is fully booked and has a sizeable reserve list. But there has been a lot of people who successfully enrolled but haven’t been paying the instalments. 

You could try contacting the organisers at - https://www.ltf-hq.com/

They have a facebook page too called Liberation Task Force. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Smithy said:

Really great to meet you on Sunday, Seamus. 

The Fordson was looking fantastic and certainly made for the ideal arena transport for all of the group! 

IMG_7474.jpg

Thanks for posting the picture Scott, very much appreciated 👍

• Like 1

Well….Doris made it to its first public appearance but only just!! 

We set off Friday morning about 7:00 to join the rest of the group but out of the blue she lost power and cut out, luckily there was a bus stop and she coasted off the main road, a quick check underneath to make sure she still had all her fluids before pushing the starter button, she started no problem and we continued the journey, now I’m more worried about the 54 mile journey than ever 🤨, we continued without incident for another 10 miles until passing through Guildford on the A3 at rush hour, we were climbing the last big hill and she started to slow and eventually cut out, this is not what you want on a bank holiday Friday in rush hour 😩, she started again and we slowly made our way over the hill, for the rest of the journey I only used 3/4 throttle as each time she had cut out I was on full throttle going up hill, after a short stop at the services we arrived at Overlord just after 10:00. Following a discussion with few colleagues and the “ what was the last thing I done “ question, it turns out that the fuel tank vent isn’t working, I fitted a new fuel cap seal the day before we left, I removed the seal and she ran without incident the whole way home. 

267E972F-95BD-43D7-B1B6-13870521D7E2.jpeg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, 67burwood said:

Well….Doris made it to its first public appearance but only just!! 

We set off Friday morning about 7:00 to join the rest of the group but out of the blue she lost power and cut out, luckily there was a bus stop and she coasted off the main road, a quick check underneath to make sure she still had all her fluids before pushing the starter button, she started no problem and we continued the journey, now I’m more worried about the 54 mile journey than ever 🤨, we continued without incident for another 10 miles until passing through Guildford on the A3 at rush hour, we were climbing the last big hill and she started to slow and eventually cut out, this is not what you want on a bank holiday Friday in rush hour 😩, she started again and we slowly made our way over the hill, for the rest of the journey I only used 3/4 throttle as each time she had cut out I was on full throttle going up hill, after a short stop at the services we arrived at Overlord just after 10:00. Following a discussion with few colleagues and the “ what was the last thing I done “ question, it turns out that the fuel tank vent isn’t working, I fitted a new fuel cap seal the day before we left, I removed the seal and she ran without incident the whole way home. 

Classic example of it's so often the simple things that can cause so much grief, well done for trying the easy stuff first before tearing the whole engine apart

Pete 

Edited by Pete Ashby
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really lovely, a credit to you and your hard work and dedication and great to see out in the wild!  It is just great to see bread-and-butter British vehicles being restored.  I know the pool is small as most were simply scrapped after a few hard years of life as breakdown trucks, timber wagons and the like after demob without ever having been appreciated as future classics - there simply isn't the pool of survivors to build from.  But, with Bedford RLs and their contemporaries in many case now 70 years old,  they need to be gathered up before they disappear - there just aren't enough around on the circuit. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 10FM68 said:

Really lovely, a credit to you and your hard work and dedication and great to see out in the wild!  It is just great to see bread-and-butter British vehicles being restored.  I know the pool is small as most were simply scrapped after a few hard years of life as breakdown trucks, timber wagons and the like after demob without ever having been appreciated as future classics - there simply isn't the pool of survivors to build from.  But, with Bedford RLs and their contemporaries in many case now 70 years old,  they need to be gathered up before they disappear - there just aren't enough around on the circuit. 

Thank you for your comments 👍👍

There is a very small pool of these vehicles, I know there are other wot6’s out there but I can’t remember the last time I saw one at a show and your right about the RL, numbers are very limited so they need to be saved but it’s the same problem, they need space to store and cost more to restore than there worth.

Of course, the fact that they would cost more to restore than they are worth is something I hadn't considered, though that will be true.  Sadly, it also means that there will always be a shortage of such vehicles in preservation as the same argument will hold true for MKs, MJs, Leyland DAFs and MANs in their turn.  Land Rovers survive because they can be both useful and relatively easy and cheap to restore, run and to store.  Interestingly, my 1979 Land Rover is older now than Jeeps and other WWII vehicles were when the military preservation movement started taking off in the 70s!  But, with people like you restoring 'basic' types, then, at least, we shall have a few to take forward into the future which is a damn good thing as they have a charm all of their own so, again well done!

• Like 1