Fordson WOT6

13 hours ago, Trooper 3/9 RAAC said:

Now that's a great looking truck 67burwood, you must be pleased with it. I've Gotta confess (IMO), the sound of that diesel motor suits it!😀

Are you planning to deck it out inside with any machinery etc of the war era?

Great work, another beauty saved, Looking forward to your final finishing posts

cheers

Pierre

Thanks Pierre

I quite like the sound as well but it just needs a bit more power, I might look into increasing the rpm on the governor.  I am not going to kit it out with equipment as it’s just not original enough but I may fit a removable bar and see if it can earn its keep at events. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pete Ashby said:

Congratulations to you !!! from one welder of thin air to another.   A real credit to you the successful culmination of a huge amount of effort and dedication. 

Regards

Pete

Thank you Pete, yes it’s been a bit of an effort but mostly rewarding!!

Regards Seamus 

“ What a bloody disaster “

The wot6’s first official outing to our MVT weekend and it never made it!! 

Friday… last minute prep, fitted the rear number plate hand painted by my daughter, loaded the spare wheel, new bottle Jack arrived in the nick of time

0D991227-F2B9-4FD5-9185-0BBDA52E4C1D.thumb.jpeg.ed7d6111be979f94f50f0bdeae4b6f10.jpeg

went to select reverse and the reverse gate rod jammed 🙄

” bugger “ .. last minute maintenance, removed the gearstick and then in what appeared to be slow motion the reverse gate spring and plate fell into the gearbox 🤬 I knelt there for a while with the “ did that really happen “ look on my face……

9A716584-9B08-4A14-B589-1477A3F5BAE6.thumb.jpeg.1d744021d57f13944755f7f5b193b175.jpeg

don’t panic I thought, dug out the flexi magnet and thankfully pulled the parts to safety. Quickly stripped, cleaned and reassembled the gearstick, all gears now selecting properly, loaded the camping gear, checked all the lights again and off we set, approximately 2 miles into the journey bouncing along ( must check the front shocks ) then suddenly there was a “ BANG !! “ and complete loss of drive 🤨 just what you need on a busy main road, managed to roll onto the footpath to keep the road clear, quick look underneath, nothing missing, check transfer box rod, everything looked as it should be 🤔 tried to move again and nothing, selected low 4WD and thankfully it moved, crawled into a side road and turned around, limped it home in low range, 4th gear, 12 mph but it got there, parked it up, moved everything to the Jeep and headed to the show.

Just had a look at the wot6 and something appears to have broken in the torque tube….great…..that’s a rear axle removal to strip it down, oh well, there always next year….😁

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, john1950 said:

If it is just a prop shaft people like Propshaft services will make you a new one as long as the splined ends are O.K. Do a bit more investigating before you attack the enclosed shaft.

I’ve been underneath and rotated the short prop from the gearbox to the transfer box and all you can hear to loose metal clanking inside the torque tube, the parts book shows a double UJ where the noise is coming from inside the tube, I’ll start stripping it this weekend and see what’s happened. 

21 minutes ago, john1950 said:

I seem to remember a double joint in the ball behind the transfer box. 

Yep, that’s the one, I’ve looked at the manual and it’s split the ball, unbolt the tube from the axle, unbolt the axle and roll it back to remove the shaft, should be fun 🤨

Hi Seamus,

if it’s anything like the civvy Fords of the period…more like a half shaft than a propshaft. Fingers crossed for an easy fix.

Pics from 1936 - 46 Chassis parts list

Peter

9E75C9CA-32A2-4706-8A95-A37EFC3928F1.jpeg

73848CBB-40AD-415E-99E2-E3CBF0447421.jpeg

Edited by 7VHU
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, 7VHU said:

Hi Seamus,

if it’s anything like the civvy Fords of the period…more like a half shaft than a propshaft. Fingers crossed for an easy fix.

Pics from 1936 - 46 Chassis parts list

Peter

9E75C9CA-32A2-4706-8A95-A37EFC3928F1.jpeg

73848CBB-40AD-415E-99E2-E3CBF0447421.jpeg

Thanks Peter, your parts book very similar if not the same as my wot6 book, I’ll pull the halfshafts out first just to be sure but the loose clanking does appear to be inside the tube but 🤞

Regards Seamus 

First a big well done to get fundamentally complete and a successful first drive.

Second unfortunate to have the driveline failure. At least you managed to get back home. While if your diagnosis is correct disassembly sounds awkward and messy hopefully the actual repair is not too difficult or expensive.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, david1212 said:

First a big well done to get fundamentally complete and a successful first drive.

Second unfortunate to have the driveline failure. At least you managed to get back home. While if your diagnosis is correct disassembly sounds awkward and messy hopefully the actual repair is not too difficult or expensive.

Thanks David, getting it on the road was a big step forward, this is just a minor step back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Have followed this thread from the start and admired your work in getting it this far. I'm sure this little bump in the road will soon be sorted, given how you have cracked on with everything else. 

Many thanks for the support, it’s just one more challenge to over come. 👍👍

• Like 1

“ Investigation complete “

Diagnosis “ FUBAR “

Disappointed “ yes “

Surprised “ no “

I removed the torque tube today to access the problem, it’s not a 5 minute job as the rear axle needs to be unbolted and rolled back so the internal propshaft can slid off the splines at both ends, naturally everything was rusted and need a bit of heat to remove but it eventually all came apart.

73BEEF4E-E4BA-45E0-96A4-441A2653EB5C.thumb.jpeg.901d0c3b267546c650c971161e1cfdb8.jpeg

Torque tube, internal prop and one of the links.

8CC869AD-A03F-400A-8974-25F9D11B9B18.thumb.jpeg.f88fe37d28d29b1da82d989c15af5c11.jpeg

B8A8461F-A049-4094-914D-026EF705A5F7.thumb.jpeg.f486034643166fca68547ccedc4f1638.jpeg

The slider at the transfer box is in good condition as is the double UJ, but the diff end was a different story 🤨

6DE0E9B1-692D-4A45-AF86-EE6761688115.thumb.jpeg.29691b3b3956cde2695ab5729149c4b3.jpeg

This little pile literally fell out to the tube.

FBAB2F8D-CE89-49CA-A5E4-327D7A1EA1C7.thumb.jpeg.9cb25af2e10acfebf196157970be53e7.jpeg

The diff pinion is knackered 

E4CECEA1-959C-46EC-993B-8431C4172AC4.thumb.jpeg.fe20d22d2d569bf221ab3fad389ed9ff.jpeg

But complete loss of drive was ultimately down to the fact that there are no splines left inside the rear of the prop!! 

3388D4EB-16F9-4C1B-B191-F27425301CE8.thumb.jpeg.6bb9c31e5b95f1f39ccedcf5284e2c90.jpeg

As I said at the beginning, disappointed but not surprised, the gearbox bearings were hanging out and completely knackered so no surprise the diff bearings are the same.

So….does anyone have a NOS propshaft and rear axle for a wot6 gathering dust 🤔😂

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, 7VHU said:

Not impossible to make a new splined socket to dwell into the tube ( and a new pinion bearing)

Have you checked the diff?

Peter

The 80inch was the next project but it might have to wait!! 🙄

The bearings shouldn’t be a problem but the pinion might, the crown wheel looks ok but I can see another carrier bearing casing has started to break up inside, it looks like a full diff strip down which is basically splitting the rear axle!! 

34 minutes ago, ltwtbarmy said:

That pinion isn’t the same size as this is it? I highly doubt it, but worth checking in case the owner might let it go, if he still has it.

The pinion is exactly the same 👍👍 unfortunately it’s a different ratio, I think that one belongs to Alastair and he has very kindly offered to donate it but thank you for the thought it’s very much appreciated. 

• Like 1