amazing what you find when you have time

wally dugan

Dear Wally,

I apologise if I have caused any offence.  My question was very much tongue in cheek and I drafted it quickly before going out.

Mike is always good on research.  Some of the Rotinoffs had very large tyres which would justify a lower axle ratio than the 14.4 : 1 used on both MkII and MkIII Antars.  There were some Antar type vehicles with very large tyres and they would not have been effective without lower ratio axles. I just wonder whether Kirkstalls would have designed and made lower ratio axles for very low population vehicles such as the Rotinoff UNLESS they already had them available.

In my opinion, the 14.4 : 1 axles ratio is perfect for an Antar on 1400 X 24 tyres.  It gives a top speed of 30 MPH with a sensible overdrive ration and a gradeability of about 1:6 at 100 tons gross train weight.

My thoughts of a stich up arise from the situation at the time.  Remember that MOS would be still smarting from the FV1000 project when it turned out that the commercial Antar could do everything that was needed apart from carrying a tank cross country.  The last thing that they would want would be another commercial vehicle that might be even better than an Antar.

For instance, one dirty trick that I can think off would be to fit well-worn tyres to one wheel station only.  This would create a huge wind-up load that would go through the worm reduction.  Just my suspicious mind, that is all.

I am sure that the FVRDE report would be fascinating reading!

Once, again, apologies for any offence.

John

In the new box there is a folder of british tank stowage diagrams as l said a number of key card no2 some of which are on the lists of the ones held by beverley and the RLC some of which were not on the lists compiled while at beverley

val st.jpg

church c.jpg

key no2.jpg

Edited by wally dugan

• 4 weeks later...

CHRISTMAS  came a bit early this afternoon a  parcel arrived totally unexpected from a friend of over forty years who was in the military first a file of letters this is a copy l have deleted the the name who it was sent to but  it also had a number of references to wartime motor cycles  mainly contracts and manufacturers. There also was a Chilwell list   of which l had a few pages before  this covers the period 1945 to 1949 and continues from the well known  1944 it  is a large document and from a quick glance answer some of the things that the 1944 CHILWELL  does not explain or cover in depth

chil.jpg

Edited by wally dugan
correction

in the file on allocation of numbers  1945 -1949 is addressed to ministry of supply contracts dept  CAXTON HOUSE { WEST } TOTHILL STREET SW1 it has thrown up a interesting number of things which will need referencing with the 1944 CHILWELL LIST the KEY CARD LIST and  the new Chilwell list 1945 /1949 all l now have

• 4 weeks later...

having to search for a drawing l came across a few of these they have never been used the only thing is one staple is in a corner to hold the nine or ten sheets in a series they are large been 110 x74 CM they are training charts for scorpion j60 engined and others

tcs.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

All I can find on the Rotinoff Viscount heavy haulage tractor is it was powered by a Rolls Royce C6SFL rated at 250 bhp, mated to a 6 speed o/d gearbox into a 3 speed reduction box possibly from a Sherman. Rear bogie by Kirkstall With Hypoid diff's and hub reductions. Giving an axle reduction ratio of 10.18:1 running on 1100x20 tyres. I think the Antar's were worm drive axles.    

Edited by john1950

3 hours ago, john1950 said:

All I can find on the Rotinoff Viscount heavy haulage tractor is it was powered by a Rolls Royce C6SFL rated at 250 bhp, mated to a 6 speed o/d gearbox into a 3 speed reduction box possibly from a Sherman. Rear bogie by Kirkstall With Hypoid diff's and hub reductions. Giving an axle reduction ratio of 10.18:1 running on 1100x20 tyres. I think the Antar's were worm drive axles.    

It was the C6 powered Rotinoff Atlantic and C8 Super Atlantic that had worm drives similar to the Antar.