Where have all the 109 HVVPK & VPKs gone?

paul connor

I remember when I was about to buy my first MV, which was around 1999/2000, there was an abundance of 109 HVVPK & VPK vehicles for sale, where have they all gone?

I regret selling my first MV, which was a HVVPK 109 (JAW ***W?) which went to Scotland and was never seen again. I remember the chap bought it blind over the phone after a lengthy conversation, paying in full, then came by train two months later! He simply jumped in the vehicle and drove it to Scotland.

I can imagine many saw the scrap pile, or were stripped to become civilian spec for resale value.

How many do we have on the forum, out of curiosity ?

109"   VPK  & HVVPK  Piglets  -  I suspect there were only ever  2 or 3 in private ownership  ,  I think 1 or 2 back in NI 

Search on  D Coy  M.V. Club  where this is one  - at least one.   The only set of applique armour released  for a Lightweight  88" , was built up by Mark Cook  (who wrote  the 1/2 Ton Military Land Rover book)  , it's back in NI with a member of D Coy.  I am uncertain if any 109" with all / a few panels  were released to auction houses for disposal .  I do know that some Lightweight & 109 "   left Wilsons Auctions and repatriated back to mainland (a L.R. dealer in the N.E.)  , they were already plucked for spare parts , that process continued until what was left was weighed in.   It may just have been possible to collect up from around the yard sufficent GRP panels to clad a Lightweight if you were very lucky  &  more possibility of a 109"..

I am sure many 109 HVVPKs were cast, as I have images of around 15 of them at shows, and a friend had 2 for a long time in his field, all complete other than radio and early ECM gear. They seemed common place for sale around 2000, just now gone, it would be a shame if they are all scrapped!

ECM  -  I think that is what is sometimes termed  Joker Jammer  ?  

I have  Lightweight Ex-VPK    85KB04  ,  12  volt  - when I purched it  @  MVS there was no centre base squab , a thick sheet  1/8" alloy plate was bolted there  - 4 holes abt 10mm dia. at sort of central position - I don't think for any communications radio  ?    Don't think it would be for  ECM  as I understand that only fitted to VPK Lightweights that had the internal ROPS anti-roll for extra culvert mine protection .  Dont think it was for the Claribel direction indicator console as a  KB  (1984 manuf.)  would be too late for Claribel and don't recall seing a photograph of Lightweight as late  as a KB having the front or two side indication boxes that are quite prominent  -  so a bit of a mystery.  I would at least like to see the internal positional indicator - possibly Royal Signals or IWM have one  ?

If anyone knows where this vehicle is now, which was last know as Scotland in 2003, then please let me know, I'd be interested to buy it back.

Shows as SORN, but no MOT history. So might be in a field or stored, or scrapped and database isn't up to date.

Paul

20230331_204234.jpg

20230331_204219.jpg

20230331_204157.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I own 62HG62 which found it's new home in northern Germany :)

I bought it in 2012 from a collector in South Armagh and it took me little more than a year to restore it.

The overall condition wasn't really good but it was complete with the hard to get parts e.g. the fire exhaust system.

Here're a few pictures:

45944689np.jpg

45944701gg.jpg

45944702wi.jpg

Here you find the whole restoration story- it's writen in German but there're loads of pictures of the restoration progress:

https://oliv-landy.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4471&hilit=piglet

I'm really glad that I was able to buy one- even ten years ago they were hard to find...

• 3 months later...

Hi Paul, the side panels and rear door are missing, the rest is there. I've a few mates to help, one is a fabricator and has agreed to make the side panels and rear door. The chap I got it off has 5 other armoured landrovers (one other piglet) including a pangolin, he even has an ex special branch armoured cortina! This is the condition he got it in. It's just the door and side panels, I'll take measurements from the other piglet when I'm up next weekend, it's an identical hvvpk but not two were exactly the same. The front bumper is in the back, the chassis needs outriggers (supplied) and the visible area in the photo. where bumper is mounted. The fire supersession system is still there. If you have any other photos it would be great. The v5 has 5 previous owners recorded. I'll keep you posted on any developments. 

I wonder why they took the sides and door off - was it a vehicle to be used for parts or did someone want the scrap cost?

Last I knew it went to Scotland when I sold it, that would have been the third owner, I was the second. Neil (I forget his name, but he was on here) from Plumpton, East Sussex, I think was the first? I might be wrong with that, but from memory I am 80% sure - it was 20 years ago.

It was 100% complete. Radio mounts inside and out, fire suppression system in from and rear with 2 large canister in the centre front cab. Window mesh, front screen mesh raised with wire (similar to Snatch).

I will try and see if I have more photographs, but alas in 2001 I was not really taking as many I would now. This HVVPK was, if I remember correctly, featured in a 2001 issue of Military Machines International over around 6 pages with another example. I did also have this copy, which I shall try and locate for you - I am mid-move into a new house so might be a while.

Paul

• 1 month later...

Just to keep you updated,  its up and running, tracked down some spared including pair of military headlights.. I'm looking for another headlight grille, had one but other missing any other hvvpk parts I'd be interested in.  Especially the rectangular..antenna box section on roof or measurements of.IMG-20231118-WA0007.thumb.jpg.3574ba31dae400dd9ad534a83f680fae.jpgIMG-20231118-WA0007.thumb.jpg.3574ba31dae400dd9ad534a83f680fae.jpgIMG-20231118-WA0006.thumb.jpg.ddbaf85e601214f33f46c11b791970d7.jpgIMG-20231118-WA0008.thumb.jpg.c8d190be2ae80746b02b5e9c3c5608f7.jpg

• Like 1

Have you already checked the RLC Archives?

They hold the B-Vehicle cards with more informations than you'll find in the Merlin system.

They charge a few £ for it but I think it's worth the money :)

Especially the rectangular..antenna box section on roof or measurements of

If you're not in a hurry I can measure my box section and take some additional pictures. My Piglet actually sits in it's winter store so it might take a few weeks.

• 3 months later...

Hi Paul, great news ,I've been contacted by a nice chap in Swindon who has a pair of side panels and a rear door, I've a feeling that they are the actual ones that came off 17HG99,  I need to check the serial numbers on them when they arrive,  hopefully next weekend if the van chap is reliable. 

Screenshot_20240216_194930_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240216_194925_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by packard17
  • Like 1

One hell of a result! Well done, finding the missing bits to complete the armoured look.  Getting the original panels back would be quite a turn up for the books. Keeping my fingers crossed that they’re the ones that came off the vehicle, although I’m sure you won’t mind much if they’re not!

Good show! 

Remember, if you ever go to sell this vehicle, please give me first refusal! 

It does seem coincidental someone had the exact missing parts. Could well be original from the vehicle as not many seem to have lasted in civilian hands. Which is a shame. The Piglet was a lot of fun and my first military vehicle. 

Back in the mid-70's when I was working in REME Workshops, we had unit's vehicles in to fit these kits, whilst they were undergoing NI training at a nearby base. The vehicles were in the main, Land Rovers, both 88" and 109" Ser 2a plus Lightweights,  ambulances and Bedford MK lorries. Some of the Land Rovers already had 2 or 3 sets of bolt holes in the body where kits had been fitted for previous NI tours of duty. When the Series 3 came into service, we did some of these, but there was then a policy change where vehicles were fitted with the kits and left in NI, rather than units using there own vehicles. It was a damned awful job as sometimes we had new kits that often had to be trimmed to fit and the fibre glass used to get in your clothes and make your hands itch. Oh and we had to fit Aeon rubbers to the top of the front springs as well.

• Like 1

Packard17 - this issue of Military Machines International might help with photos of the HVVPK both in/out. I do have this somewhere but cannot find it; if I do I shall scan the images.

If I remember correctly (I could be wrong) 17HG99 features in this magazine feature. I bought her from a chap called Neil in Plumpton, East Sussex. I cannot remember his screen-name but he was a member on HMVF at one stage. It was then sold by me to a man from Scotland who worked on oil rigs, that is the last I saw of it. He drove from Lewes, East Sussex all the way back to Scotland - must have taken a very long time! but, it made it without fault.

The only issue I had was once breaking down in Brighton blocking the whole Lewes road as a turned into a street. I had caught the fuel tank switch as I got into the vehicle and it started drawing fuel from the 2nd tank which was full of debris. I was rather young and had no idea with mechanicals and just went into panic mode. First the AA came to assist and refused to actually help due to the weight of the vehicle as they could not recover it; he just didn't want to even look at the car. Thankfully I also had RAC membership and they sent a mechanic who was ex RE LAD mechanic and cleared the fault in minutes.

It had no faults on the 2x MOTs I had in ownership and really was nice to drive. I had always wanted a Humber Pig but this came along first and I fell in love with it. I also bought a Humber Pig and realised I was placing too much of a financial strain on myself with two military vehicles and a car - so the Piglet had to go. A regret - much like selling my Pig!

Paul

MMI2002.jpg