amazing what you find when you have time

wally dugan

Hi Wally,

On the first page you posted, at the bottom is listed a Ferret and a Saladin laying at RAOC Rowcroft Barracks. As I worked at the REME workshops at that location at Ashford, I recall the Ferret being one of the types used in Malaya, with the extended top to the hull with the turret on top of that, I beleive it may have come from a cadet force or gate guardian as it was pretty rough and neglected. The Saladin had been used for recovery practise and had been rolled over many times, I think all the mudguards and side lockers were missing, the Tank Museum had contacted me to give a report on it, but it was in to bad a condition.

Surprisingly a small number of the extended turret version were brought back to the UK to see service with the TA.  The Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry had a least one and the later Royal Yeomanry at least two.   I had one which I never got round to restoring which had served in both Regiments.   I have been unable to find out who now has it. 

16 hours ago, fv1609 said:

Found the Ferrets tucked away at an air show at Boscombe Down in 1990, far more interesting than looking at aeroplanes.

32BA90c.thumb.jpg.5b48c334c6201ce3e9b354f414554bab.jpg

Personally, I can't work out if this is an Armoured personnel carrier, or an Armoured car with balconies 

May be an image of 9 people and text

413839082_10231781524062343_5291576869168967280_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=c42490&_nc_ohc=cxAdGb3bauQAX9VD045&_nc_ht=scontent.flba1-1.fna&oh=00_AfBRej4oVNZJhu-cvTpRtXsbOIQvd8vPEbZGxM66aftO3g&oe=658EACDC

Edited by Mark Ellis

The Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry examples had their Regimental Crests applied in the same positions as these in the form of colour decals.  These look very similar to the RWY Crest but obviously if you were there at the time and examined the vehicles closely you must be correct.   I would not have imagined that a regular Regiment would wanted these vehicles with their inherent stability problems due to their raised height.  There must have been hundreds of the others marks in storage at  the time.

royal-wiltshire-yeomanry.jpg

Edited by REME 245

1 hour ago, REME 245 said:

The Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry examples had their Regimental Crests applied in the same positions as these in the form of colour decals.  These look very similar to the RWY Crest but obviously if you were there at the time and examined the vehicles closely you must be correct.   I would not have imagined that a regular Regiment would wanted these vehicles with their inherent stability problems due to their raised height.  There must have been hundreds of the others marks in storage at  the time.

Well, I'd sooner trust your evidence than mine given how long ago it was.  Certainly 15/19H were there at that time because I was given a ride in one of their Centurions and allowed to fire the turret Browning!  But, it looks to me as though those Ferrets certainly don't have the 15/19H badge on the turret - they look much closer to the RWY.

CLIVE was looking for  a list of foreign manufactured armour at FVRDE  and remembered  FV426 mockup sorry do not have a picture or drawings  but funny the other day my wife watched a salvage hunters from the hovercraft museum and there was a number of FVRDE mockups from beverley and the westland helicopter made out of wood on truck the museum at beverley had a large collection of mockup models from FVRDE BOVINGTON collected some when l was there

1 hour ago, wally dugan said:

CLIVE was looking for  a list of foreign manufactured armour at FVRDE  and remembered  FV426 mockup sorry do not have a picture or drawings  but funny the other day my wife watched a salvage hunters from the hovercraft museum and there was a number of FVRDE mockups from beverley and the westland helicopter made out of wood on truck the museum at beverley had a large collection of mockup models from FVRDE BOVINGTON collected some when l was there

This place ?
https://www.hovercraft-museum.org/collections/ 

Ok Wally thanks for looking.

Mark at that Hovercraft museum there were a number of models of projects that included Project Prodigal for a vertical take-off fighting vehicle. Several companies submitted their ideas for creating such a thing. I used to have the paperwork for the Shorts version of how it might be achieved with a jet engine mounted vertically in the centre of the vehicle.

There is a model of that at the museum. I have photos of a wind tunnel model I don't know if that is what is on display or whether there is a more comprehensively structured model.

Scan0230ab.thumb.jpg.39885b29272dbb53c51dfb5ec3514ce1.jpg

• Thanks 1

It came a long way from them early trials clive the mock up drawing was of the models held at BEVERLEY when the rep from Bovington came to FVRDE he was allowed to take only tracked mockup models he spent most of the day with me so any of those he took should be at the museum

cet.jpg

On 12/31/2023 at 1:05 AM, Mark Ellis said:

They put a Stalwart up against a hovercraft, at that site near Matchams on the Dorset border.

Someone said they had a copy of the film, but it's not materialised yet.

Stalwart-hovercraft-trial.JPG.ea6aa0ea5fc9f11c7628401339cfbe48.JPG

That will be QinetiQ Hurn these days, methinks.

Andy

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Last week l was offered a ledger from the MEXE interwar period from a deceased estate they sent a page from it which includes a list of registrations  for such as morris eight wheeler new hudson motorcycle douglas matchless silver arrow  O.E.C latil  tractor truck manufactures and car l have now purchased it and a wait for it

Edited by wally dugan
  • Like 5