amazing what you find when you have time

wally dugan

Being a Design Engineer by trade and everything now done on a computer, you have to take your hat off to those Engineers back then.

Those drawings are so important to be kept, such a good source of information for future generations and restorers.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Top one is the builders drawing it is 2 . 1/2 metres long by one metre wide they are for the AEC matador these are from my new boxes this box contains builders drawings of some of the following RE plant for such as the BLAW- KNOX BK12 MK4  motorized grader towed rollers dozers cranes ( etc) Militants MK 1 /MK3  loading ramps for HQ RAILWAY GP RE   Scammell Crusader recovery  Fire crash Foam MK6 GP  Eager Beaver   MK 2       SCIMITAR  Muir-hill A5000  Lightweight series 2A and many others due to the size of some of them l will have to order a plan chest so as to store them flat as they show signs of long term folding

I already had the builders drawing which is dated 15/2/42 but with out the amendments shown on the one posted which is dated 28/5/43 .What did come as a surprise are the  builders drawings for the Churchill Toad flail tank these appear to have come from the firm which was located in Workington 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wally dugan said:

What did come as a surprise are the  builders drawings for the Churchill Toad flail tank these appear to have come from the firm which was located in Workington 

Hi Wally,

The Toad drawings might have come in useful about 13 years ago when I was restoring the lane marking assembly for the Toad that went to the Jacques Littlefield collection (it is now in Australia)

RICHARD the trouble with these type of documents its only after they have been disposed of that later there importance is realised  and the people who should have saved them are not interested. FACT a well known museum  was  offered   a vast collection of documents  but replied that they were not interested but after years of them been found  to be of great importance to researchers  they  grabbed  them l still have their letter on file

48 minutes ago, wally dugan said:

RICHARD the trouble with these type of documents its only after they have been disposed of that later there importance is realised  and the people who should have saved them are not interested. FACT a well known museum  was  offered   a vast collection of documents  but replied that they were not interested but after years of them been found  to be of great importance to researchers  they  grabbed  them l still have their letter on file

Wally, that is so true.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Well yet another box of long forgotten documents the attached is one page of 59 A4 contained in a battered brown folder the date on the front is 1945 the pages are faded so this best l could get it list pre ww2 vehicle types and registration numbers the contents though faded can be read the vehicle numbers are in allocated batches to type and makers there are British Canadian and USA also in the box is a list of NORTONS  WD 1936-43 with amendments in ink with contract no's engine numbers frame numbers  date Quantity and model at the top of the first page it states there is a updated list to this

v1.jpg

Edited by wally dugan
ER
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It's some months since  l posted but  on monday a van delivered two large  MFO type boxes l  have not really had a good sift through but one appears to be full of AESP's the other is a mixture of documents a brief look turned a few items which l did not expect to see well not just yet in this box there are a number of cd disc's one is the repair and parts list for the HIAB/ MULTILIFT there are a number of  catalogues of army publications

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 6/1/2020 at 9:40 AM, wally dugan said:

Always liked  the STALWART  l have five different catalogues  from ALVIS  on them and a one hour video of the factory the early trials the sea trials and its off road trials  the prototype water trials were conducted in a flooded quarry1931394830_stal1b.thumb.jpg.61e93c2e27800415c55cc88d4a84dbc1.jpg

You've got an incredible collection there, Wally.
I've managed to gather quite a bit on the Stalwart over the last two years, which is free on the website - with more on the Facebook group. 

https://sites.google.com/view/alvis-stalwart-hmlc-files/hmlc-stalwart-files? 

Always keen to see more, especially on the Camion. Would love to know what happened to Camion.

On 3/26/2020 at 3:47 PM, wally dugan said:

sdd2.thumb.jpg.f21d60bdcab8dacd7c39c94b4dfc62b9.jpgAs the title suggests my wife said it was time for me to sort out some of the boxes in the loft amongst the many files from FVRDE that l have collected here are just two the trails of the SALADIN MK2 as standard and a SALADIN MK2 fitted with differential lock it make interesting  reading the pictures need sorting 

@wally dugan Can I use these Saracen images on my High Mobility Chassis web page please?

On 6/1/2020 at 9:06 AM, fv1609 said:

Paragraph 2 is interesting. It might help dispel the belief that Bridge Classification is merely the weight of the vehicle & load.

load.jpg.bac8dc30363e6290201c5284b9f2f6df.jpg

Surely that's a matter of the tank weighing more at one end than the other, and whether the tractor or trailing axles are overloaded?

On 6/1/2020 at 2:37 PM, fv1609 said:

I seem to have used up my uploads for that post. Here is the next one, but there are loads more charts, illustrating that Bridge Class is a very complicated subject & is a lot more than just the weight of the vehicle basis.

2132947703_Load6.thumb.jpg.539eb788af25e59c9b9fc37753603a44.jpg

I think you might be confusing the classification given to a bridge, compared to vehicle bridge classification. 

1 hour ago, Mark Ellis said:

I think you might be confusing the classification given to a bridge, compared to vehicle bridge classification. 

A bridge that didn't carry vehicles would not be of great use to the Army. The system of bridge class & vehicle bridge class relationship must be compatible.

Document_2022-09-09_143918.thumb.jpg.93ad16932fdcbe1b7c8ec8c413e13f57.jpg

15 minutes ago, fv1609 said:

A bridge that didn't carry vehicles would not be of great use to the Army. The system of bridge class & vehicle bridge class relationship must be compatible.

Document_2022-09-09_143918.thumb.jpg.93ad16932fdcbe1b7c8ec8c413e13f57.jpg

When is a bridge not a bridge ?

312715676_MGBBridgetrain.jpg.ab0cb9a1aa1dd81b1b7c6b714b19f40c.jpg

In order to classify a bridge, one has to measure the span and know it's material and strengths, and then decide the weights it can carry. A scaffold pole bridge wouldn't typically carry the same weights as a concrete and steel road bridge.
Does the top classification in the picture below mean that it can carry five lorries at 9 tonne each with wheelbase of 13 feet, or just one lorry under 50 tonnes? 

1445246957_Bridgeweights.thumb.jpg.ccc92e416e06567f205db775e883de2d.jpg

28 minutes ago, Mark Ellis said:

Does the top classification in the picture below mean that it can carry five lorries at 9 tonne each with wheelbase of 13 feet, or just one lorry under 50 tonnes?

The figures 16 & 50 are not are direct tonnages, they relate to the bridge class of the vehicle which admittedly has a relationship to weight but is not a direct correlation. I don't know but I assume the limit in each direction may permit several vehicles of a lower bridge class to cross provided that their sum of class didn't exceed the limits on the sign. I expect their are criteria laid down for the spacing of such vehicles, but they certainly should be spaced such that no more should be on the bridge at any one time that would exceed the class of  bridge.

2-way sign.jpg

You may use the photographs of the saladin trials on the subject of  prototypes  of the  STALWART PV1 was given the number ALV 2  and returned to alvis on the 24/4/61 PV 2 was returned on the 8/10/62 this is 2720 RW PV3 on the  8/4/62 PV 9 had the number 504 FUW and was used for fording trials FREMINGTON NORTH DEVON    on  the 27/10/67

Edited by wally dugan
spacing wrong