amazing what you find when you have time

wally dugan

It would be good if someone goes to the museum at Alice Springs  or lives near, (I have an idea that will raise a laugh down under) to have a look at the preserved one living there. A photograph would give a clue for identification. 

Edited by john1950

9 hours ago, john1950 said:

It would be good if someone goes to the museum at Alice Springs  or lives near, (I have an idea that will raise a laugh down under) to have a look at the preserved one living there. A photograph would give a clue for identification. 

I have seen the Rotinoff Viscount at Alice Springs several times, it is a rigid 6 wheeler with cattle body, it pulled up to 3 other large cattle trailers. Engine was a 6SFL supercharged with 6 speed synchro overdrive gearbox with 3 speed synchro auxiliary box. Axle ratio of 10.18 to 1 . There were two owned by the Vestey meat company. Due to the long hot arduous work through the outback, they suffered cracked exhaust manifolds. Also gearbox problems. Later Fuller boxes replaced the original gearbox. A lot of info on them in an Aussie book about road trains in the Northern Territory.

• Like 1

I am sure I read at some time Rolls Royce came up with another type of cast iron for the manifolds. I cannot remember where I read it though. I think they were overheating because of the time the engines spent on full power. Working at night I have had the manifolds glowing a dull orange many times on the old Vickers. If the TS24's went by with there's glowing they usually wanted the air filters cleaning or changing. They had dry filters and the Vickers was oil bath.

5 minutes ago, john1950 said:

I am sure I read at some time Rolls Royce came up with another type of cast iron for the manifolds. I cannot remember where I read it though. I think they were overheating because of the time the engines spent on full power.

The Rolls engineer in Australia, found that these trucks were working at full power for up to 12 hours, as you say, the manifolds were replaced by ones made of Meehanite from RR which solved that problem. Gearbox tail shafts were running at acute angles and often failed, with spare shafts being carried. They were enduring very hard work all the time, you would have to see the country to understand.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

The role of the equipment used by mainly the Royal ENGINEERS is often over looked so some time ago l asked a retired friend to help find any thing to do with this subject and he has done so l did collect anything to do with military railways but it's not what l am really interested in my friend tubby robins [ MAJOR ] was the expert on this subject with my old  boss David Ronald [ COLONEL ]

721a.jpg

721b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To day we had a dusting of snow and below freezing so a good time to get rid of some the things that l have to many of like CES's and other paper work that l have collected over the years and now have found missing items to complete the files on like the class 30 and the last part of the stalwart story

mk3.jpg

mk b.jpg

stal.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wally dugan said:

To day we had a dusting of snow and below freezing so a good time to get rid of some the things that l have to many of like CES's and other paper work that l have collected over the years and now have found missing items to complete the files on like the class 30 and the last part of the stalwart story

stal.jpg

Is there a last part to the Stalwart Story?

You just know that I'm going to ask for a copy of that, don't you, @wally dugan 😉 PLEASE

MARK the story as far as the list of things connected to the role of the STALWART in the army is concerned But you never know what may turn up l learnt never say never were the military is involved As to the skid plate if you pm me with your address l will copy it and send it as to your pm it looks familiar  but is it on a film of the early day's of development l cannot recall will have to rerun it to night

wally

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wally dugan said:

mk3.jpg

@wally dugan is there any mention in the Class 30 book about the Stalwart. I'm sure I've read somewhere of at least the thought of using it for Class 30. Not to be confused with the American MoMat.

A copy of that for my Bedford Group and website would be appreciated as well, please. If possible
https://sites.google.com/view/alvis-stalwart-hmlc-files/bedford-commercial-vehicles-section/bedford-files-m-type-4x4-4-ton 

MARK  l have read all that l have on class 30 and cannot find any mention of the STALWART there is no drawing of the suggestion of it's even as a mockup  as to your other question l have looked a both 16mm films and cannot see any thing other than the beast the one you are interested in may have been for the civilian market so l wont have anything on it unless it was trialed at FVRDE/MEXE

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, wally dugan said:

MARK  l have read all that l have on class 30 and cannot find any mention of the STALWART there is no drawing of the suggestion of it's even as a mockup  as to your other question l have looked a both 16mm films and cannot see any thing other than the beast the one you are interested in may have been for the civilian market so l wont have anything on it unless it was trialed at FVRDE/MEXE

Many thank for your time and effort, @wally dugan 

On 12/3/2023 at 2:12 PM, wally dugan said:

On this one l know l have collected all the documents parts list modifications line drawings and manual

cuth1.jpg

I remember seeing a photo of one of those bogged, and the recovery crew thought it was an ordinary Land Rover. Time for a rethink!

I