amazing what you find when you have time

wally dugan

Some times l come across a trial that you wonder why in this case they a took a  lorry designed for use on tarmac road and then subject it to a trial on a rough off the road course for over five thousand miles then produce a report of over two pages of defects all caused by the treatment on the course

cots.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, wally dugan said:

Some times l come across a trial that you wonder why in this case they a took a  lorry designed for use on tarmac road and then subject it to a trial on a rough off the road course for over five thousand miles then produce a report of over two pages of defects all caused by the treatment on the course

Maybe it was preparation for pot holed roads of the future 😉 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, wally dugan said:

cots.jpg

With the two silencers it looks like a stroker.

On 12/11/2023 at 11:19 PM, wally dugan said:

just wonder on the rear tail door it looks  like written the word suicide 

Hi Wally,

It's taken me 20 years to answer a question for you (-: (you answered some questions for me once).

Yes, it's a pun, sometimes seen on trucks today.

One side is marked 'Passing Side', the other 'Suicide'. (-:

Thanks for your past help.

Best Regards,

Adrian

2 hours ago, wally dugan said:

I do not  normally  collect things on commonwealth vehicles but this is a new addition there three of these on the 30 cwt wireless chev dated 1948 on hard card board they are 44cmx 35cm and still have the acid free paper attached

@wally dugan have you catalogued all these manuals and files on a computer spreadsheet?

You must have so many of them now

my wife catalogues all the files  pictures and they are all on computer yes but a lot are in a storage after been catalogued and there future is planned and l have made sure that they will not end up like the collection l and others helped to put together in the archives at the museum of army transport 

Edited by wally dugan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/17/2023 at 9:32 PM, wally dugan said:

my wife catalogues all the files  pictures and they are all on computer yes but a lot are in a storage after been catalogued and there future is planned and l have made sure that they will not end up like the collection l and others helped to put together in the archives at the museum of army transport 

@wally dugan would it be possible to have a list of all the Stalwart report document and file numbers, please - for my website's Stolly development page? To show all the trials done on them? Would be appreciated

https://sites.google.com/view/alvis-stalwart-hmlc-files/alvis-stalwart-hmlc-section/development-of-the-alvis-stalwart

Excellent picture Wally, two of these rather odd trailers were built.

App3637b.jpg.be5d7bc7bcb55b05db004dc923889ba7.jpg

But I wonder if in that album there are any pictures of a mock-up of the FV426 Orange William launcher?

Although I have the FVRDE Design Spec for FV426 the drawings were not attached & it is hard to understand how the missiles were extended from the sides of the launcher. There must have at least been a mock-up somewhere?

CLIVE l will have a look my friend is here   just has come with my christmas box of catalogues he was at ludgershall up until  he moved he brought some unissued tender catalogues this  might  interest you shorland 92KH88 in the tender december 1992 some pigs in 1993 along  with ferrets 432 433 434 BV 202 SCORPIONS CHIFTIANS

Edited by wally dugan

Wally I wish I had a friend like that who would bring me a box of such goodies!

Yes those 4 SB401 Shorlands 92 KH 85 - 92 KH 88 are interesting with quite a short service life albeit with the USMC. I have not seen any pictures with the correct the ERM displayed, the pictures I have seen show RAF registrations that were to disguise the real users of the vehicles. I think they were based at RAF St Mawgan.

I had a guided tour of AVD Ludgershall on two occasions. It was quite a while ago when we were shown the new Saxon Patrols that had just arrived & the Fuchs NBC vehicle but I just wanted to wander around the acres of Pigs, Ferrets etc lying in the fields beyond, then I ran out of film! Although I did snap quite a good number of variants I wish reliable & economic digital photography was a reality back then!    

Excellent stuff Wally. As is usual they get the spelling of Shorland wrong as Shoreland or sometimes it is Shortland.

I note 26 BK 34 is chassis & driver's seat only. I wonder where the body went? Two situations spring to mind one of the 9 ex-RUC Pigs in the 27 BT ** series which were re-bodied as the locally made roofs were mild steel (being FV1609s not FV1611s) or the one Hornet that was re-bodied for NI or maybe it was just for a Pig with a smashed up body?

44 minutes ago, wally dugan said:

MERRY  CHRISTMAS CLIVE and every one else

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Wally.

They sold off lots of petrol engined vehicles around 1993, didn't they.

According to a report I have here, the K60 multifuel was around 250Kg more than the Rolls 8 Cylinder. I don't know if that's just for the engine or the full pack.