amazing what you find when you have time

wally dugan

The only reason I knew was that during my service days I had a posting order to join LAD REME 18 Sqn RCT there (on DUKWs). This was early 1972 but before the posting date they were sent to NI and amalgamated with 26 Sqn, so instead of DUKWs I ended up on macralon covered Bedfords and Rovers in Lisburn. Just my luck.

2 hours ago, wally dugan said:

You may use the photographs of the saladin trials on the subject of  prototypes  of the  STALWART PV1 was given the number ALV 2  and returned to alvis on the 24/4/61 PV 2 was returned on the 8/10/62 this is 2720 RW PV3 on the  8/4/62 PV 9 had the number 504 FUW and was used for fording trials FREMINGTON NORTH DEVON    on  the 27/10/67

Many thanks, @wally dugan
Are you sure it's not Instow, where the Royal Marines have their vehicle testing location - where Camion was trialled? 

PV-1-8.JPG.4b0cab766ccf45836a75207bbcbdbbdf.JPG

PV-1-9.JPG.9ab50957822e5410f751bc214cc7316c.JPG

And is the year of 27/10/67 correct for PV9, when so many Mk 2s had been built by then. Or, was there a different engine or something? PV3 is said to have been a diesel or RR multi-fuel engine and Alison automatic transmission.

I'll take absolutely anything you have on the Saladin chassis development, PV1 and subsequent Stalwart developments. 

Thanks

39 minutes ago, wally dugan said:

it was  sent to the REME FORDING TRIALS UNIT  BASED AT FREMINGTON  also the second phase of stalwarts were given the numbers 33  56  63 66 AND so on without a prefix letter later ones numbers from  the SP series

Thanks. Corrected that.
Would love to see a registry of Chassis numbers against the allocated numbers and SP registrations. But guess that doesn't exist.

• 1 month later...

it's been awhile but things keep coming this is one of them in the mid sixties the mod were looking in to multi - fuelled  soft skins they asked three manufacturers to put forward one and half ton four wheel drive trucks to be trialed BMC put forward two types with different body styles BEDFORD supplied one and COMMER also one l have the results of the BMC  and BEDFORD vehicles but not a the moment the one supplied by COMMER. also  in among the other items a VHS video of ANTAR MK 3's  been worked on in GERMANY by members of the MSO sorry 2110890143_austpro.thumb.jpg.b7b534237262d8d7eb22459913ec425f.jpg

aust bmc.jpg

21 hours ago, wally dugan said:

Sorry for the print on the scanned picture this is done to try and stop some one putting it on another forum as he has done it the past if he continues l will stop posting

I'm all for watermarking things, so that they can be freely shared - and not be sold on eBay.
I now have a copy of Master PDF editor, which makes it so easy to mark the whole document.

image.png.0040e437d9957be09a9ddabecbcfec2d.png

image.png.90351986c89cb989c399e3a774b64285.png

Sorry to disagree, but I do.

I'm not entirely sure that any of us, as individuals have the right to 'watermark' or claim copyright over documents which have been released into the public domain by the Ministry of Defence given that they have already been paid for by the tax-payer and, if any copyright remains it belongs to the Crown.  This is what the Government has to say on the matter:

Copyright protects your work and stops others from using it without your permission.

You get copyright protection automatically - you don’t have to apply or pay a fee. There isn’t a register of copyright works in the UK.

You automatically get copyright protection when you create:

• original literary, dramatic, musical and artistic work, including illustration and photography
  • original non-literary written work, such as software, web content and databases
  • sound and music recordings
  • film and television recordings
  • broadcasts
  • the layout of published editions of written, dramatic and musical works

You can mark your work with the copyright symbol (©), your name and the year of creation. Whether you mark the work or not doesn’t affect the level of protection you have.

I think the key words are, 'your work', 'create' and 'original'.  As material released from HMG is neither your work, nor created by you nor original to you, then, frankly, you do not own the copyright and pretending otherwise with stamps or watermarks is wrong.  

And, anyway, what is the big issue with something which furthers our hobby being disseminated more widely?  As individuals, we'll all of us here be dead within the next 30 odd years, but the hobby will remain for those who come after us and we'll all look pretty silly if material has been lost because an individual decided that something he'd come across in the course of his career, or while pursuing a hobby was lost for all time because he sat on it afraid that someone might post it elsewhere without acknowledging him.  That's ridiculous.

10  68

@10FM68 Putting a watermark on something doesn't mean copyright - it just stops people selling documents that are freely available.

All the documents that I've uploaded have all been declassified by MOD. They clearly state on them that they are free to download, and advertise the group. Some people will sell absolutely anything - and I'm not a big fan of that when documents can help to keep old vehicles out of the scrap yard.

One person is charging for searches on and selling extracts of Merlin, which is freely downloadable off the internet if you know what to look for.

This sort of damage below is caused by people not being able to get hold of the right documents, or not looking for them because they think they aren't available. And of course of not having a clue of what they're doing without the documents.

No photo description available.

Edited by Mark Ellis
  • Like 2

10 FM 68 while l see your point l have spent half  my  life collecting these things and some of what l have saved has been of value to others in getting the history of their vehicles and getting them registered may be you if you have used the RLC MUSEUM VEHICLE RECORDS Any one that has asked for information that l hold has been given it at no cost to them and freely. But  l now know what to do with my collection

Edited by wally dugan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Knowing  WD's past history , in particular with the Beverley Museum {as was).  he being presently the only person with access to this type of aged document - then if it were me , then I would probably do likewise - be a 'spoiler'.   For a person to pass off as a legit. Ebay sale or similar action , whilst not illegal it is morally wrong.   It's not exactly plagiarism , BUT - I would treat it as such and take umbrage..

• Like 1

20 hours ago, paulob1 said:

wally do you have a copy of the berliet one. I have two of them  and cannot find anything about them in English...

If you have the French document, what happens if you scan it as a File type PDF (rather than an Image type jpeg PDF), open it in Chrome and ask Chrome to translate it?