AVSD Ludgershall

Bob Grundy

Bob, was Frank's truck a Mack?

No Richard it was a White, Ex Ruttle plant hire in Lancashire, spent many happy hours in the passenger seat or sat on the edge of the bunk if there were 3 of us in there. It was fitted with 13 SPEED Fuller, however closely I watched Frank changing gear the change pattern never seemed the same !

t when we knew him

I think Richard was reffering to the tractor unit in the picture, but you are quite right he did have a number of Diamond T's over the years both ballast tractors and wreckers, latterly he ran a postwar Autocar 6x4 with Detroit 8-92 in it, thats where I got the bug for Detroits from !

Sadly Frank died about 8 years ago from a MRSA related ilness.

I think Richard was reffering to the tractor unit in the picture, but you are quite right he did have a number of Diamond T's over the years both ballast tractors and wreckers, latterly he ran a postwar Autocar 6x4 with Detroit 8-92 in it, thats where I got the bug for Detroits from !

Sadly Frank died about 8 years ago from a MRSA related ilness.

cheers mate , have some pics somewhere of his t in about 81

This photo from March 1993 shows a Scorpion that I had purchased by tender being loaded onto the late Frank Derricks lowloader.

Posted justed for your interest.........

Bob, at least the Scorpion clearly had an engine in it ! I remember a certain Abbot arriving back in the Northwest engineless !

No Richard it was a White, Ex Ruttle plant hire in Lancashire, spent many happy hours in the passenger seat or sat on the edge of the bunk if there were 3 of us in there. It was fitted with 13 SPEED Fuller, however closely I watched Frank changing gear the change pattern never seemed the same !

Thanks John,

I can see now, a similar cab shape to the Mack. Seem to recollect seeing photos of a Ruttles White. My memory of those Fullers started when we first got the Crusaders, and the reversal of the two highest gears on the pattern threw me first off. :-D

Answers

John; Please don't mention that Abbot, quite embarassing.....

Robin; It was one of the depot staff driving it, I was the photographer, I don't recall the number but I will have a look in old diaries to see who ended up with it. All that stuff behind was sold off, a Tender Sale got rid of everything.

Yes Bob, we all make little mistakes now and then. I presume that there was more than the Scorpion going on that trailer as can clearly be seen Frank had extended the bed out before removing the neck.

It was another Abbot, not that one which we must not mention.

There's one just behind the Scorpion. Shame the VRN isn't visible.

Andy

The numbers were mostly painted over with black paint. it soon got washed off with thinners after delivery.

The Abbot in the background was next to go onto Frank's wagon.

Hi Richard,

It is indeed a White, ..a Road Commander II to be precise. (Does look a little Mack F700 ish when viewed side on)

They were imported & on sale in the late 70s early 80s from White Truck Consessionaires, part of the Fleet-Hire Group based at Coleshill near Birmingham. (Rylands, who I worked for after de-mob, were part of the same group)

They were imported without front brakes & had to be upgraded with add on kits at Coleshill in order to be type approved & road legal. Fabulous spec vehicles for their day, although they did have a habit of catching fire due to very poor wiring.

Cheers........H

Hi Richard, It is indeed a White, ..a Road Commander II to be precise. (Does look a little Mack F700 ish when viewed side on) They were imported & on sale in the late 70s early 80s from White Truck Consessionaires, part of the Fleet-Hire Group based at Coleshill near Birmingham. (Rylands, who I worked for after de-mob, were part of the same group) They were imported without front brakes & had to be upgraded with add on kits at Coleshill in order to be type approved & road legal. Fabulous spec vehicles for their day, although they did have a habit of catching fire due to very poor wiring. Cheers........H

Thanks Howard,

Nice bit of inside information there. I do recollect seeing the odd one on the road back then.

• 3 weeks later...
How about this lot! All gone to new owners or scrap ..............

Hirsts the Scrap Metal Dealers of Hurstborne Station up the road a little probably had a hand in chopping a lot of those up...they were doing really big business around those times on lamping up Chieftains by the dozen ....and they all came from Ludgershall as I recall .........