Why do people do this?

robin craig

Question

It totally baffles me and annoys me more than you can imagine.

When peope have something for sale, they put POA or Price On Application.

For pitys sake why oh why do people do this?

Do they want to do a wallet check to see how much of a mug punter you are or what?

Makes me so angry

R:banghead:

I agree. It annoys me when people ask for "offers" too.

It puts loads of people off.

I used to do autojumbles with a friend.

I priced all of my stuff, or at least had a price in mind when people asked, but my friend would invite people to make him an offer. Very few did and usually just walked away.

I always made a lot more money, even though he had the better stuff!

I have to admit, it does kind of bother me as I am a do it, decide now type person.

So having to take an extra step and negotiate a price is a waste of my time.

Bit like Ebay sometimes a buy it now is the option instead of waiting.

I'm on a rant now... also on POA people want you to call them.... wtf for? Don't they have any friends or neighbours they can talk to?

Thankyou Robin, very theraprutic

I'm also one of those who wouldn't bother with a piece of kit if it was "POA". Bodge Deep hit it on the head. They just want a stupid price and know if they put the price down no one would touch them with a barge pole.

Why not put a ONO price up, always room to haggle.

They do it to get your attention and to get you talking. Once you ring them, then they can try and persuade you to buy. That can't use their sales patter unless you are on the other end of the phone, and a good way of getting you to ring them and express an interest, is not to put a price.

I have rung up about things POA and been plesently surprised and bought the goods. It might be reverse phsychology. If you put POA peoiple think you are asking far to much, the people who genuinely want to buy , ring up and find the price is less than they expect and this puts them in a very good mood and they are actually fighting to buy what they now percieve as a bargain!

What annoys me more is when people won't let anything go at all. Most of these people have yards full to the brim of bits and pieces, and they just say "Oh I'm going to do that one day" or "that's next on my list". Hacks me right off.:computerrage: But then again, it's their kit, it's their decision. :coffee:

What annoys me more is when people won't let anything go at all. Most of these people have yards full to the brim of bits and pieces, and they just say "Oh I'm going to do that one day" or "that's next on my list". Hacks me right off.:computerrage: But then again, it's their kit, it's their decision. :coffee:

yes all to true, and you go back many years later and the object has not moved and their still saying I'm doing that one next , me and a couple of friends call one bloke "Doing that one after dinner" because thats what he says about everything in his yard :) ,, another is I've made millions over the years , yet lives in a static thats dropping to bits , POA I think when this is in an advert you only get callers that are really keen for the item that is for sale , and not people that just want to call to say they used to have one of them ,, can't say I've used the term :)

And it's the main reason this stuff has survived! It is annoying if you want to buy something but in many cases it would have been long gone if not for one of these hoarders.

Adrian Barrell

but in many cases it would have been long gone if not for one of these hoarders.

Fair point, but it doesn't always work out well, consider Pounds tendancy to hoard but were prone to bad errors, unless it was tank-shaped alot of stuff was lost - such as cutting up probably the only Churchill ARV Mk1 -after all no one would want a headless churchill. I'm certain I saw a photo of a DD Sherman in Pounds, at least the apron with tube bases and bottle supports, beneath a large pile of tubing.

And it's the main reason this stuff has survived! It is annoying if you want to buy something but in many cases it would have been long gone if not for one of these hoarders.

I see what your trying to say there Mr Barrell, but what good is it sitting in their yard rotting? I am a firm believer in rescuing military kit from scrappies etc, but only if you are going to restore it yourself or flick it on to someone else to restore. :readbook:

They do it to get your attention and to get you talking. Once you ring them, then they can try and persuade you to buy. That can't use their sales patter unless you are on the other end of the phone, and a good way of getting you to ring them and express an interest, is not to put a price.

There is no sales technique can beat the word 'NO' and a closed door or put down phone! :-D

Im so very glad, that a bunch of you people, who although I have never met you, have the same feelings as I do, thereby making me feel that you must be like or near like minded and worth having a pint with when I finally get back to Blighty one day.

Thanks guys

R

At Beaulieu Autojumble the other week there was a guy with a baby Peugeot that I rather liked the look of, and would have been prepared to offer good money for. It had a for sale sign in t windw (actually on the tax disc), so I asked the stallholder if it was his - the answer was yes.

'For sale?' I said, just to confirm and to open the discussion. 'No, but it could be bought' came the reply, with some attitude. Starting to get irritated, I said 'I'm not sure I see the difference'. He replied 'Go away and think about it', to which I, increasingly irritated, replied 'OK, if it could be bought, how much could it be bought for?' Unsurprisingly the reply was 'That's up to you'. By this time I'd had enough and walked away, saying I wasn't going to be buyer and seller. Stallholder's reply to my disappearing back was 'well you won't be the buyer'. Surprise surprise.

I can't understand the need for such a attitude. I've had my fair share of timewasters, thieves and other lowlife, yet I try to treat everyone the way I'd like to be treated. Is that so hard?

OK, rant over!!!

Im so very glad, that a bunch of you people, who although I have never met you, have the same feelings as I do, thereby making me feel that you must be like or near like minded and worth having a pint with when I finally get back to Blighty one day.

Thanks guys

R

Or alternatively we'll all come to Canada and have a pint with you Robin !!