WW1 finds and discoveries

Great War truck

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It does look nice, it's inside, in the dry, and being cared for.  

A coat of green paint would cure it all ( That wouldn't have been OD originally, or would it? )

If I had my pick I'd go for the Ahrens-Fox pumper beside it, you could REALLY make an entrance in that.  😇

Edited by Gordon_M

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had this front axle given to me recently, could be from the ww1 era but more than likely could date post war too, im fairly sure its off a caledon truck aound 1 1/2 to 2 ton size? has a cross symbol on the greasecaps, theres some more remains on the farm it came off that possibly are from the same truck? planning on checking it out this summer, hope this is of some interest??

mike

5D844E45-FA54-4837-B536-5A283B1E8D71.jpeg

3D8DECBF-3B35-4837-924C-8DA78F64A9CE.jpeg

318F84F0-26E8-4BAB-8041-A625B73E7DAC.jpeg

• Like 3

Correct it is from a Caledon lorry. I have seen parts of two in New Zealand,  with parts of another one still on the get to list. The one you have has cast bearing caps, earlier models had brass caps. 

My research indicates only a vey few were imported into NZ. 

There is one complete example on display in Scotland. 

Doug 

• 4 weeks later...

Some years ago I came across a pair of solid rubber tyre wheels. There were no makers markings on the  spokes or other parts however the pattern was showing as being from Leyland  Last month my son Karl was in that part of the country and arranged to collect them.  Now they are home and cleaned down the mounts for the springs, brakes and spoke shape all indicated early Leyland. We can now confirm the Leyland  heritage, with help  from Rick Sutcliffe. These come from a Leyland S3. 30 from 1913 and match the Sutcliffe's Barnsley bus.

The axle housing has been gas cut at some time, so the diff section is missing along with the rest of the vehicle. Like so many of the wheels we have come across, these may have been used as a trailer in a second life.

Confirming the identity of his pair of wheels takes Karl's Leyland collection back another three years in the timeline. Hopefully one day photos of this lorry will turn up.

Karl Leyland Wheels 2 ex Te Uku Aug 22 alt eml 0212.jpg

Leyland Wheels ex Te Uku Aug 22 alt eml 0205.jpg

Leyland Wheels ex Te Uku Aug 22 alt eml 0190.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...