WW1 finds and discoveries

Great War truck

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What a super photo, thank you for sharing. The wagon nearest the camera is a 5 ton Foden, whilst I would say the one further away is a Clayton. The foden is similar to mine, albeit mine has (or at least should should have) a tipping body, whilst the one in the photo isn’t a tipper

interestingly the Clayton has Bauly wood block wheels, but what is more intersting to me personally is how the Foden’s sheets have been pulled back against the front of the cab, I have a photo of my foden during its Devon County Council days with the sheets tied back in this manner and I assumed this was a “Devon CC thing” but seeing this makes me think that I was wrong!

Thank you for posting

David

• Like 1

Good morning,

Ive attached a couple of images of my Foden laying out of use and it clearly shows these sheets.

In the rear of my cab there are two 1/2” holes where I assume these “curtain rails” ran, the front canopy cross member has been replaced in the past so this detail has been lost, but I intend to put these back when I am at that stage of my restoration (which reminds me I really must do an update)

The close up image of my wagon appears to show the rail running horizontally, and you can see the sheets hung over it at the rear.

Hope these are of interest.

David

IMG_0422.jpeg.df1166753635bb2ad0c8d8e2efaa334f.jpegIMG_0423.thumb.png.f14c1742d16727f14063410ded4c499c.png 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any idea what make this truck would be with the solid tyres? Picture taken during WW2 in a local quarry. The trailer is bringing gas for the old beast. Gas came from an coalmine in the region.

enciGas.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for Sharing, this is the Thornycroft which is subject to a restoration thread on here started by Tomo Thompson until he sadly passed away. If I was clever I’d work out how to post a link to his blog! 

• Sad 1