WW1 finds and discoveries

Great War truck

My brother spotted this axle with two wheels in a garden in Germany. If i see the casting marks on the wheel i think it might be French. I am not shure if it are massive or inflatable tyres. Any idea what it could be? Truck, gun? it's about a meter high.

wiel.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Schunck, a department store in the neighboring town had 3 buses to bring customers from the region to the shop in the 1920s. Could this be ex-army trucks? The middle one seems to have an real bus body.

bussenSchunck.jpg

Edited by Citroman
  • Like 1

The bus body to the left has windows  progressively smaller to the rear, suggesting it was a charabanc with raised seating to the rear. Perhaps the glass windows are a latter upgrade rather than the open sides. 

The bus in the centre has a delightful body style with the curved sections about the window tops. 

Doug

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/6/2020 at 2:02 PM, Old Bill said:

The plugs are to access the valves which are typical of a fixed-head engine. The Thorny and the Dennis are the same. The centre plugs must be a simpler way of sealing off the water jacket instead of a flanged cover with studs.

You are right, the apparent spare follower positions are intriguing. To someone who knows what the engine is, they will be the main clue!

It is amazing what is about even 100 years later.

Steve  :)

image.thumb.jpeg.c6fc089b4aeb98646fcac4a00ce1c222.jpeg

Suddenly another came along!

• 1 month later...

The seller says it are 1917 Peugeots. I can see a red cross on one side and an USA flag on an other vehicle. I am not shure if it really are Peugeots. Fiat? The cars are fitted with Michelin disc wheels.

peugeot1917.jpg

Edited by Citroman

• 3 weeks later...

This technic was also used after WW II. Our lakes here in Carinthia were full of Germany ammunition dropped into the lakes by the British Forces to have it from the surface. 

Up to last years the ammunition disposal unit were diving before and after the summer season to get it back on the surface and dump it savely. 

I remember going out with the rowing boat and looking down to see the grenades, small arms ammunition crates and rifles in disintegrated wooden crates and trying to bring then up.

On 3/4/2023 at 8:35 PM, Citroman said:

Nice...like the several mines still loaded at the belgian WW1 frontlines.

Blame my wife's grandfather, he was an area general  manager in the Welsh coalfields and was seconded to the Royal Engineers to supervise the construction of the tunnels.

Well he might have been responsable for the tunnels but to abandon them .

I heard also that a lot of miners (the French too) were happier to tunnel than to be in the trenches.

Edited by Citroman