WW1 finds and discoveries

Great War truck

The Republic history is contained in the book Flash and Fizzle, available from Alma Library (the town where they were made). It seems that Republic did not get involved in early shipments to Europe, however it was one of a number (15) of manufacturers who built the standard pattern 'Liberty type B" truck. Production started in 1917 and worked up to 30 trucks a day. In all 32,000 Liberty B trucks were produced, of which more than 13,000 were shipped overseas.

Edited by mammoth
typo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MarkV said:

was wondering if "Federal" trucks contributed in WWI. 

The Wikipedia page for the Federal Motor Truck Company says:

"Federal built its first U.S. military trucks in 1918, for the U.S. Air Force. More diverse military (tractor) trucks, including tank transporters, dump trucks, and heavy wreckers, were built for U.S. forces from 1933 through 1945. Federal produced over 10,000 trucks for the military."

• 1 month later...

Wow. Sold for $39,250. Is it military or not? An expert on the sales site says no as TBC is not a military designation, but the US Army purchased lots of TBC's so i dont know what he is talking about. Chassis number is 46008, but i dont have the White chassis number list. Does anybody else have it?

Tim from what i know and was told from Roland Smith in california who has a lot of the early white factory Literature, White didnt date most of their earlier chassis’s and also never kept records of early chassis nos  but did keep records of the number of trucks sold, thats why it can be a bit hard to date them, i have 3 and the remains of another 3, some have casting dates on the cylinder blocks, another way to date the very early ones is they are r/hand drive and around 1912/13 they went to left hand drive,  also 3 ton and up were chaindrive up to around 1918/19, then went to a beveldrive type diff,  its the same deal with the brass radiators being replaced with cast iron type at the same time, out of the 6 ive got i can positively date 2 of them, sorry i cant help any more

cheers mike

• Like 2

That pattern of wood work for the trailer frame would probably date it from the 1920's-to early 30's, making the axle somewhere between 5 to 15 years old when utilised. Those tyres still look usable  having no rust heave noticeable between the tyre and steel band.  

6 minutes ago, nz2 said:

Those tyres still look usable  having no rust heave noticeable between the tyre and steel band.  

Do you mean the tyres, or just the bands? I would have said that tyres were somewhat past their best. 

That would depend upon projected use. For lots of road work they hold an element of risk. For the occasional circuit about a  show ring, those tyres could be suitable. 

Aside from placing such an axle back on a truck restoration project,  to restore a trailer like this also shows  a further use that parts were put to. It would look nice in a display with the trailer attached to a suitable vehicle. An aspect of restoration  rarely seen.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/10/2023 at 5:26 PM, Citroman said:

What might this monster be, with geman soldiers on board in 1940? Looks like a Belgian licence plate.

tracteur.jpg

Austro Daimler 100 PS Zugwagen from Austrian Hungarian Army. But think its a later picture maybe found by the Germans after the fall of Czechoslovakia or Jugoslavia as they had a lot of equipment from Austria-Hungary

Motorfahrer

Edited by motorfahrer

2 hours ago, motorfahrer said:

Austro Daimler 100 PS Zugwagen from Austrian Hungarian Army. But think its a later picture maybe found by the Germans after the fall of Czechoslovakia or Jugoslavia as they had a lot of equipment from Austria-Hungary

Motorfahrer

Looks like one of these, possibly designed by Ferdinand Porsche.

http://www.kfzderwehrmacht.de/Hauptseite_deutsch/Kraftfahrzeuge/Osterreich/Austro-Daimler/Artilleriezugauto_M_17/artilleriezugauto_m_17.html