Some real USAAF heavy weight vehicles!!

P Marriott

• 1 month later...
How's the fuel tanker coming along ?

Err - yes, well, a little behind (self-imposed) schedule. Sadly time for recreational use of spanners in 2009 was very limited, a fair bit of it spent messing about in French scrapyards :-D Hopefully that will change.

In a rare burst of tanker activity this morning I did manage to order some new Bendix brake chamber diapragms - yes, new ones. The Bendix Westinghouse drawing is dated 1921!

• 1 month later...
Hi Paul,

Well if an F-1 tanker turns up I have all the manuals for one :-D. I don't know of a single surviving Federal tractor unit in the UK or Europe,either restored or not,but I'd be happy to hear otherwise.

In the first pic you posted there is a glimpse on the left of another truck used by the USAAF in England,anyone care to make a guess at what it is?!

Matt.

I think that might be the famous Studebaker , tractor or 6x6 , not possible to tel on the picture!

I think that might be the famous Studebaker , tractor or 6x6 , not possible to tel on the picture!

The first pic, on the first page ? It's a Studebaker US6, you can tell by the fender. GMCs had a double curve on the fender, Internationals had a gentle single radius curve, Studebakers went nearly straight back and then 90o down, like that photo.

The reason that Studebakers ended up on air bases is because they were "limited standard" trucks rather than the GMCs which were "standard"

Limited standard vehicles tended to be kept in one theatre, or with one organisation or one function, to avoid supply chain difficulties. They were also usually obseleted first and donated as war aid first, for the same reason.

Keeping the Studebakers on UK airfields meant that all those support parts didn't have to be moved forward after D-Day.

Carryall and Command Dodges were kept on airfields for a completely different reason - they were too obviously senior staff officer transport, and officers up the sharp end knew that being anonymous in a jeep was much safer.

One other oddball move was to take a load of the Dodge ambulances the airfields were issued with and swap them for K2's, which allowed the 4 x 4 Dodges to go to the sharp end while the 4 x 2 K2's just drove round nice flat airfields. This apparently accounts for shots of US personnel on USAAF airfields driving K2's.

If I had to guess, I'd say that when production and logistics really got into high gear, and Axis air power was greatly reduced, a lot of these procedures went out the window.

Wrapping up, you could see much the same vehicle mix, Studebaker, Carryall, Command (sadly no K2's) on the ALCAN and CANOL projects, for pretty much the same reason. Apparently a lot of the later Carryall and Command production went there rather than using shipping space to get it to Europe and not using it at the sharp end.

Edited by Gordon_M

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a picture of what was the largest collection of US 6 trucks in the UK in recent years, I think there had been eight at one time, but dispersed now.

Been there several years ago, not just military trucks also classic cars and trucks, think there was a 5th wheel tractor unit in that collection, shame the owner is no longer with us.