Some real USAAF heavy weight vehicles!!

P Marriott

• 4 weeks later...

I was very disappointed when, around 2004, Duxford unceremoniously disposed of the Federal C-2 wrecker which had pride of place in the American hangar, alongside the B-17 Mary Alice. Not long afterwards it went overseas.

To the best of my knowledge the country has been Federal wreckerless ever since.

Well that situation has just been rectified. The new arrival weighs in at a healthy 26,000lbs.

The new dad is still wondering what on earth came over him. The new mum took the news quite well considering.

Federal j2.jpg

Federal j.jpg

I was very disappointed when, around 2004, Duxford unceremoniously disposed of the Federal C-2 wrecker which had pride of place in the American hangar, alongside the B-17 Mary Alice. Not long afterwards it went overseas.

Very nice Tony! The Duxford C-2 was not theirs, it belonged to L W Vass, IIRC.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Can anyone identify the fuel truck tractor combination?

It looks like a GMC 353... Possibly a Chevrolet G-506 tractor, but they had closed cabs, and this looks to have dual rear wheels, open cab... and a smaller windshield.

blog-lockheed-xr6o-1-constitution-4-edit.jpg

source: https://travelforaircraft.wordpress.com/2013/10/02/lockheed-xr6o-1-constitution-write/

The fuel trailer looks to be a F1 or F2, as I seem to remember view something identical elsewhere.

G_Mendes

Edited by Goncalo Mendes
image replacement