Some real USAAF heavy weight vehicles!!

P Marriott

Is this the fuel bowser that was advertised for sale in one of the classic commercial magazines a few years back??

There is a 4000 gallon bowser being restored somewhere in France, I did have a website address for it. I will try to find it and post it.

Army cars USA recently had a 2500 gallon bowser for sale at $6000 that was in excellant shape just needing a paint job.

I'm not aware of any advert Paul, but possibly it is the same one. Do you have any details?

www.us44.fr is the website - look at bottom left on site index , details were posted in 2006, but the photographs do not appear to be accessible any more, I've tried on several computers. If anyone can see them, please post here!

Yes, I saw the advert on Army Cars USA - it looked really tidy and with a dolly, shame it ws in USA. And would probably have cost £9,000 plus with shipping :shake:

www.us44.fr is the website - look at bottom left on site index , details were posted in 2006, but the photographs do not appear to be accessible any more, I've tried on several computers. If anyone can see them, please post here!

The us44.fr site has now (only in the last few days)officially disappeared, not to return.

You don't yet know just how useful that pic is, Weasel!:tup::

Could you please let me know what site that image is from, looks like a modern pic to me so might be the restored French trailer?

It is supposed to be original period taken on Kodachrome film.

Here is the page link

http://www.shorpy.com/node/2969

There are many additional high quality WWII and US Homefront pictures on the associated pages.

Bill

The are some stunning photos of aircraft factory workers on that website!!

Just to let you know what Agnes Cliemka is doing at the back of the bowser - she is spooling on a hose using the air motor - driven hose reeler (note chain drive to inside of reel and air motor by her hand). If you look at the bowser there is a large air tank under left rear of chassis, fed by a compressor driven by the pumping engine. Oh dear I'm becoming obsessed......

By the way, I've decided to name the trailer "Agnes" after weaselnut's pic :-D

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Norfolks.Only.Saint. in my book ! Very nice bloke to ! :-D

Saint Anthony,no i think theres one allready.:-D

I tried hard, but there was no way Mrs. N.O.S. was going to put on a pair of Levis and the 1940's equivalent of a high-viz fleece and pose with Agnes, so here is the before and after shot....

Agnes is in fact working on a Heil 2,000 gallon single axle tanker, but the pumping compartment is fairly similar to the Standard Steel Works 4,000 gallon unit.

Great photo, useful info for me is confirmation of the use of blue lettering, wording on engine panel, and the enormous paint run on rear fender, which I will have absolutely no trouble in re-creating :-D But which way should the hose be wound.....

Heil Tanker.jpg

DSC02737.JPG

NOS I might have missed it although I don't think so, but can you provide any background to your find (and boy what a find it is!) and any history known about it?

I've always suspected that there would be one of these beauties around somewhere, but had never seen anything to confirm that there was. Was it local to you or did you have to bring it from afar?

Have posted an image here of a 2000 gallon tanker at RAF Ramsbury in 1944 - the guys atop are from the 83rd Squadron, 437th Troop Carrier Group.

Also an image of an example of your new toy in use with the 384th BG presumably taken at Grafton Underwood with one of their B17's - I don't think it has appeared on here yet?

Refuel.jpg

cache-16.jpg

Some years ago, possibly early 80's, there was a TV series called Airline (I think), featuring a C47 / DC3. The ficticious airline was called Ruskin and the plot was based just after the war. One episode, I seem to think they had to go to Italy or beyond and the plane landed for refuelling at Rome (could have been anywhere I suppose, knowing films!). Anyhow, to the point, one of these impressive Federal refuelling rigs arrived in the scene, so my guess there is one survivor somewhere in Southern Europe.

Richard

I loved that series :cry:

Well isn't that just our luck :argh:

Incidentally, Kewelde's reference to the tanker at a supposedly Italian airport in this series - there is a pic of a slightly modified tractor and trailer in an Italian construction plant yard in one of Pat Ware's two recent books.