Some real USAAF heavy weight vehicles!!

P Marriott

Clive these are the vehicles you need to get on the convoys!!!

fuelbowser2.jpg

I wonder how many of these Federal F-1 tractor units have been restored, I certainly have never since a rig complete with Heil bowser.

Here are some more USAAF bowser and tractor unit photos.

fuelbowser.jpg

F-1FuelBowser.jpg

F-1TractorUnitPic2.jpg

And heres a baby GMC bowser

GMCFuelTruck.jpg

Just for me a picture of how my Cletrac long term restoration may look when I'm sixty!!!!

CletracPic-1.jpg

Does anyone know of any Federal or Autocar tractor units out there, either restored or just rusting away in a yard somewhere?

Edited by Marmite!!
photo links repaired

Hi Paul,

Well if an F-1 tanker turns up I have all the manuals for one :-D. I don't know of a single surviving Federal tractor unit in the UK or Europe,either restored or not,but I'd be happy to hear otherwise.

In the first pic you posted there is a glimpse on the left of another truck used by the USAAF in England,anyone care to make a guess at what it is?!

Matt.

Hi Matt

Yes your right that is another truck that is very rare over here. I have only seen a couple of original photos of these while sevring on 8th bases during the war.

I'll allow someone else to name it. Not very difficult really with a certain feature!!!

Paul

I wonder how many of these Federal F-1 tractor units have been restored, I certainly have never since a rig complete with Heil bowser.

Some years ago, possibly early 80's, there was a TV series called Airline (I think), featuring a C47 / DC3. The ficticious airline was called Ruskin and the plot was based just after the war. One episode, I seem to think they had to go to Italy or beyond and the plane landed for refuelling at Rome (could have been anywhere I suppose, knowing films!). Anyhow, to the point, one of these impressive Federal refuelling rigs arrived in the scene, so my guess there is one survivor somewhere in Southern Europe.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Spot on,it's a Studebaker US-6,actually it's most likely a 6 by 4(I can't remember the model number right now). Paul,I've seen quite a few pics of Studebakers with Eighth units,the 100th had several.

What about an International TD with a Trackson crane? how many of those survive?.

How about a thread on USAAF specific vehicles? I wonder how many do actually survive in the UK and Europe?

Matt.

If I were to buy a truck, I could quite fancy an airbase Gunnery Trainer vehicle. Most I believe were field mods to Jimmy sized trucks, with a powered aircraft turret fitted in the back. They drove around the base so that gunners could track air and ground targets from a moving turret, rather than being static on a gunnery range.

Steve

Great pictures Paul.

I love the white blackout markings around the wings and bumper hooks on the GMC 353 gasoline tanker.

I remember a C-47 ground crew mechanic with the 437th Troop Carrier Group (9th Airforce) at Ramsbury, Wiltshire by the name of Ted Pilgrim. In 1997, when returning him to the farmland where he lived in a nissen hut during the war, he explained to Neil and I that his living quarters was so far away from the dispersal where his C-47 was parked, that if he forget something which he later needed during the day and couldn't find a Jeep, he used to drive the Federal fuel bowser from the dispersal all the way over to the living/communal areas of the base, down all those narrow and winding roads with the trailer in-tow!

As you can see from those excellent pictures, those rigs really were big for there day - In fact they are big by todays standards as well.

Cds

Steve

As far as I am aware Chevrolet did produce a short run of turret trainer trucks. I seem to remember seeing a manual for one on that favourite auction site a while back. You sometimes see photos of ten or more Chevrolets lined up on gunnery ranges in the US as well as a few shots in the UK.

I agree a turret trainer truck would be a great show stopper. I know a guy who has three Martin 250 CE series top turrets as used in the B-24 and other bombers.

Just need time, cash and more cash to bring these projects to completion. Just ask anyone, especially Clive, I have too many projects with no time!!!

Regards

Paul 8-)

I spoke to a well known dealer from the South Coast this evening who rang up wanting to bring some MV's to Bolero.

He told me that he knows of a Federal 6x6 wrecker available in Europe (no its not the one that was previously at Duxford IWM) and also a bowser trailer for restoration in the UK although apparently, its not for the faint hearted!

I think this type of project (in fact I know that this type of project) is beyond my scope, but I wish someone would take it on - What a show stopper that USAAF big-rig combination would be :-o

Cds

Well Clive,now you've gone and done it :roll: :-D I may be persuaded to take on the tanker,depending on condition and(more importantly) price.

As I said earlier I have all the manuals for the F-1,and access to a modern Ford tractor unit to shunt it around the yard,that is providing the 5th wheel is intact and compatable with the one on the Ford. Could you PM me with details please?.

Paul,I know what you mean,got the time but no money,or got the money but no time!! Oh well give me another 50 years and the aim of having an example of each USAAF specific vehicle used by the Eighth on display in one place may actually happen :schocked:

Matt.

Great pictures Paul.

I love the white blackout markings around the wings and bumper hooks on the GMC 353 gasoline tanker.

Cds

Clive,My WC-52 which still has it's original markings intact(854th BS Engineering,based at Metfield) has the white edges to the fenders and all four lower corners of the bed are white too.

Matt.

C BENT & myself got the FEDERAL 6X6 from L W VASS On permanent lone or IWM DUXFORD .Back in the early 80 ts A quick paint OD and put on show.The engine was stuck . Got it going after a lot of oil and hard work . It was then put in the American hangar until its revamp.When they decided they did not want an more & give it back to VASS. One of the rearrest trucks in the UK . ( civil servants for you ) T CORBIN

Tony I agree,the Federal should have stayed at Duxford and gone into the American Air Museum,even if it had meant having one less aircraft,for example the plastic P-51.

Matt.

Saw this the other day driving home from the last MVT Committee meeting sat in a closed Petrol Station forecourt somewhere in Warwickshire.

Feb2007MVpics006.jpg

Guess this classes as a Heavy Weight :-D

Cds

Edited by Marmite!!
photo link repaired

Saw this the other day driving home from the last MVT Committee meeting sat in a closed Petrol Station forecourt somewhere in Warwickshire.

Feb2007MVpics006.jpg

Guess this classes as a Heavy Weight :-D

Cds

Ward Lafrance series 2. Nice :-)

Edited by Marmite!!
photo link repaired

• 1 year later...

Just found this picture of a Cletrac and Autocar tanker pulling a B17 to firmer ground in Italy I believe.

Of interest maybe is the application of "BodgeDeep" artwork to the rad. guard of the Autocar - not seen this before on any vehicle other than control vehicles.

Autocar or Federal Tanker pulling B17.jpg

On the HCVS Brighton run last year I was approached by an old guy who looked at the Ward and then told me he'd broken up a Federal aircraft wrecker 2 years previously. He hadn't thought there was any market for such trucks. It drives me mad. >:(

Mike - there is one for sale in the US....!