Rb44

chevpol

I was told that the one on show at Beltring was the best example they have. The rest in stock require various degrees of work. Including quite a few that are missing parts.

Makes you ask: why are they missing parts? According to this lot it's because they were so short of spares for the common failures that they had to cannibalise all the reserve stock!

If the nicest thing anyone has to say about them is 'Too bad for even RAF service' that's hardly a glowing recommendation :rofl: It's a shame, they look great, but if nothing else works you at least want to be able to stop with functioning brakes!

Stone

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

You can find some pics I took of the RB44 when i was at the last tender here.........

http://www.fv432.co.uk/wwwfv432couk/supportvehiclepages/RB44/rb44titlepage.htm

They all looked reasonably complete, but these ones weren't in the actual tender.

Regards

Dougy

nice piccys, not fair though, its got me thinking about owning one again!!!!!

Mark

Story I heard about them was that Reynolds Boughton were given the contract as a consolation prize after thdey lost the contract for the production of DROPS trucks.

RB were not considered to have enough production capacity for the DROPS system (they did in fact develop it)

I have also heard the RB in service described as a death trap, so buyer beware!!!!

• 3 months later...

My unit still has them (for the mortar platoon and Anti Tank platoon) and uses them,though not often main complaint is the gearbox...you need to "Use The force" to find second gear :-D

They are top heavy when loaded and terrible off road...Nice looking.

But rubbish :-(

I liked driving it though...

(never found any problems with the brakes, but our LAD Det says they got kits to sort it)

Edited by tartan-ninja
forgot brakes...

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Visited my local TA unit on Thurs evening for an annual camp briefing, they have 6 RB 44s, all had VOR DO NOT MOVE stickers in the windscreens. Will try for some pictures next wed eve.

Edited by Bazz
additional info

• 2 weeks later...

The RB44 made it home tonight it just about fits on my Mothers drive. No chance of putting it on ours the road is being dug up for the Metrolink tram work and we can just about get the cars past. What will happen if an emergency vehicle has to get up the road I don't know!

Few pics pretty happy with it apart from the ripped canvas which I knew about when I bid on the vehicle. I wouldn't mind a few suggestions on how to get it registered V55 , MOT'd?

Few pics pretty happy with it apart from the ripped canvas which I knew about when I bid on the vehicle. I wouldn't mind a few suggestions on how to get it registered V55 , MOT'd?

While it may not hold long in traffic at least while its parked you could use a bit of duct tape to keep the rain out for a little while until you can get a new tilt .

Edited by abn deuce
spelling

While it may not hjold long in traffic at least while its parked you could use a bit of duct tape to keep the rain out for a little while until you can get a new tilt .

I'm thinking of repairing the canvas I have some used canvas of the same type that has seen the weather and will hopefully have shrunk and dried many times.

thats a nice bit of kit, am not jealous at all, no I am not!!!

Did you drive it home on trade plates? If so, what was it like to drive?

Mark

We didn't drive it home we hired a truck to pick it up but what a good idea... let me go and bang my head against the wall at this point... ah damaged the wall.

Driving wise I reversed it back down the road to the drive and thats about it. Couldn't do much more than that as my Mum has a policewoman living next door, doesn't pay to upset them. I'll have more fun when I sort out the MOT bit. Getting used to first gear being where second gear is will be interesting as well.

I'll let you know if you should be jealous or not lol.

I might start a blog on the registration process.

Sorry mate but that's not strictly true. The RB44 is plated at 7.5 tonnes so can be driven on a C1 licence. The MOT is Class 7, so ANY commercial vehicle garage that does Class 7 MOT's can test it, as well as VOSA of course.

If it's 7.5 tonnes gross it'll be a Ministry test at the GVTS. Class 7 is goods vehicles 3 to 3.5 tonnes gross.

I wouldn't mind a few suggestions on how to get it registered V55 , MOT'd?

Get it insured and book a test at your nearest GVTS. You can do both of these on the chassis number. Once it's tested fill in your V55/5 and submit it with MoT and insurance cert to DVLA or your local VRO with the money for the tax and get a registration & tax disc. Make sure you know and have evidence for the date of manufacture or date into service so you get an age related plate. Let the insurance people know the registration, job done.

If it's 7.5 tonnes gross it'll be a Ministry test at the GVTS. Class 7 is goods vehicles 3 to 3.5 tonnes gross.

Get it insured and book a test at your nearest GVTS. You can do both of these on the chassis number. Once it's tested fill in your V55/5 and submit it with MoT and insurance cert to DVLA or your local VRO with the money for the tax and get a registration & tax disc. Make sure you know and have evidence for the date of manufacture or date into service so you get an age related plate. Let the insurance people know the registration, job done.

Many thanks I have sorted the insurance it cost me an extra £20 on top of my Ferret insurance.:D

I'm part way there

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the help that you gave via the pm it was much appreciated and I'm glad to say that the RB passed its MOT this morning:-D

The only thing that I had to alter was the headlight alignment which the guy helped with by going for a wander while I altered it.

Well chuffed!