Rb44

chevpol

redneck

thanks that is helpful there is an empty socket under the steering column so I guess that's it

the problem is that mine is an (AAC) ex-fire engine so there's loads of extra cabling that is just dangling, I assume this went to the blue lights etc.

what part did you use for the flasher unit(s) ? any particular part or a common or garden generic flasher unit?

BTW - does anyone know how to do the top left bolt that holds the brake servo in (above and behind the brake pedal) - I can hardly get my fingers on the nut, let alone get a socket in there !

I read somewhere else that RB44s are B@&$!@&*$ to work on and I'm starting to get that feeling.

DF

Edited by downforce

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few pictures of the front left hand side hub. Stripped down due to the brake cylinders leaking. This started to happen before Beltring and I decided that it needed to be sorted before we travelled down

[ATTACH=CONFIG]66745[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]66746[/ATTACH]

As you can see below the brake linings r nice and shiny from brake fluid.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]66747[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]66748[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]66749[/ATTACH]

The linings were changed last year due to a similar problem

[ATTACH=CONFIG]66750[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]66751[/ATTACH]

• 1 month later...

I have just bought an RB44 and the rear (LHS/NS) brakes are solid. So I am trying to remove the brake drum and have looked in the manual and removed the rear wheel (didn't see the bit about reversed threads but figured it out) but it's not clear to me if the drum should just pull off now or if I need to remove the hub (I hope not).

Obviously with the brakes stuck on it's a bit tricky to tell the difference between the drum not coming off because it comes with the hub vs. not coming off because the brake shoes are binding (the wheel wont turn at all - which is contrary to what I heard about RB44 brakes !).

Any tips on loosing off the brakes and/or if I should be able to just take the wheel off and pull the hub off appreciated - thanks.

DF

I assume you have already tried backing the brake adjusters off?

Hi Richard

You assumed wrong - it's been a ling time since I worked on anything with seized drum brakes, but I have wound back the adjusters now and that helped and got them off - thanks.

Once I got the drum off I could see there are 2x threaded hole on the drum, which I assume can be used to either pull the drum or screw into to push against the back plate (acting like a press).

The problem with mine was that the curved hand-brake cable guide/swivel was seized in the hand-brake "on" position.

After the event, it was (maybe) possible to remove the rubber hand-brake cable grommet and loose off the swivel from behind, but if hindsight was foresight I would have been out spending my £80mil from the lottery!

Took me 3+ hours to get them off and a couple of hours to strip and clean and about 20 minutes to put back together!

Thanks for the post though

DF

• 2 months later...

Hi all, new to the forum and first post. I'm thinking of getting a RB (converted to a tipper) for use in my tree surgery company.

Any things to consider (i think i've got a grip if the brakes and O licence requirements), such as running costs and routine maint etc.

Also if any one has one near the Forest of Dean and wouldn't letting me have a look would be awesome :)

Cheers in advance

Mark

Sent from my GT-S5690 using Tapatalk 2

Funny, we went to a All British Car in September, I got Charlie to bring along the R, as its British, they have sections for all the different makes, etc, we took the 130, and headed fro the land rover line up, Charlie parked the Rb next to me and Series 1, a lady in a range rover pulled up, looked at the RB, and said whats that thing, you cant park that there theres no room for my Range Rover, and thats not a British car..ummmmmmmm

Any way it turned a fair few heads, and some younger lads who were ex UK army, said they loved the RB. when they drove them.

It just needs a friend now...

• 2 weeks later...