Rb44

chevpol

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Richard.

Not sure if you have read this. http://www.dodge50.co.uk/rb44-story-1.html

If you contact Reynolds Boughtons ( 01283 711 771 ) and ask for there technical dept. they maybe able to help with the

Qty's built before the end of 1989 and maybe able to give you the start of the chassis numbers for the 10 evaluation vehicles and numbers for the first contract of three.

I know there was a lot of the RB44's built at Amersham, which is no longer there. hopefully there records all went to head office.

Hope this helps.

Clive

Edited by protruck

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Richard.

Not sure if you have read this. http://www.dodge50.co.uk/rb44-story-1.html

If you contact Reynolds Boughtons ( 01283 711 771 ) and ask for there technical dept. they maybe able to help with the

Qty's built before the end of 1989 and maybe able to give you the start of the chassis numbers for the 10 evaluation vehicles and numbers for the first contract of three.

I know there was a lot of the RB44's built at Amersham, which is no longer there. hopefully there records all went to head office.

Hope this helps.

Clive

Thanks Clive, just spotted this, I will forward details to my friend.

• 4 months later...
I have had an enquiry from a friend overseas who wants to buy a RB44, but due to import regulations needs to buy an early one, ie 1989. Apparantly, the first ones were built in 1989 and those being disposed of through Withams at present are 1991-2. Can anyone say for sure when they were built for the army and how they can be dated? I know the military data plate does not show year of manufacture.

The prototypes were registered on C plates which was 1986. I worked at The Bell lane Factory from 1980 to 1988 my claim to fame being that I prototyped the oil cooler mounting brackets to mount it behind the headlamp apperture on these vehicles. When I left in the summer of 1988 the contract was still not finalised as far as I am aware so the earliest vehicles may well be 1989. I seem to remember that some vehicles were run off on the Renault Dodge plant at Luton as they were going to manufacture the RB44 along with the Dodge 50 as Boughton did not have the capacity to make the numbers required by the MOD. As I know army registrations with KE in the middle are from1985 and KF 1986 I would guess a KH/KJ registered vehicle would be about the age you are looking for.

As an aside I never understood the braking issue with these. I remember a day spent on Bovingdon airfield with Andy Jefferies from the Quality control department doing Brake testing with a fully laden trailer. It pulled up dead straight in a cloud of rubber smoke every time.

Slightly off the thread but possibly of interest. I was involved with a civilian RB44 fitted with an R-R commercial version of the then motor car engine. It was modified to incorporate a shielded ignition system, a deep sump arrangement developed on the old B range tilt test rig and fitted with a Solex 48NIPP (I think) carburettor common to the B81. It was supplied coupled to a commercial version of the GM400 gearbox. The prototype vehicle was fitted with weights to simulate a 200 gal water tank and a hamper containing typical fire fighting gear. If my memory serves me right the vehicle was fitted with disc brakes at the sharp end and it went rather well, likewise it handled and stopped equally well. In fact it was a joy to drive. It was demonstrated to a number of UK fire services (who preferred to buy the hideously long GM pick up 4x4 fire vehicle conversions, which struck me as monstrously useless devices but less costly and of dubious potential life). Ultimately only two RB44 were sold and were fitted with similar R-R engine and transmission, however the Solex carb was dropped in favour of the standard R-R motor car Petrol Injection set up, which resulted in mamouth improvement of economy, emissions, performance etc.. I have photos of both types and the tilt test rig in action, but I doubt I'll master loading them up onto the blog. Jerry

The prototypes were registered on C plates which was 1986. I worked at The Bell lane Factory from 1980 to 1988 my claim to fame being that I prototyped the oil cooler mounting brackets to mount it behind the headlamp apperture on these vehicles. When I left in the summer of 1988 the contract was still not finalised as far as I am aware so the earliest vehicles may well be 1989. I seem to remember that some vehicles were run off on the Renault Dodge plant at Luton as they were going to manufacture the RB44 along with the Dodge 50 as Boughton did not have the capacity to make the numbers required by the MOD. As I know army registrations with KE in the middle are from1985 and KF 1986 I would guess a KH/KJ registered vehicle would be about the age you are looking for.

As an aside I never understood the braking issue with these. I remember a day spent on Bovingdon airfield with Andy Jefferies from the Quality control department doing Brake testing with a fully laden trailer. It pulled up dead straight in a cloud of rubber smoke every time.

I think you will find KD is a 1986 number as my Bedford is KD and that's 1986.

KE = 1987

KF = 1988

KG = 1989

KH = 1990

KJ = 1991

KL = 1992 - We have trucks at work that are KL and these are 1992.

All is not so simple, and you seem to have some error in any case, I have not seen a good listing of the Fiscal Year dates..

It depends where the "Fiscal year" starts / finishes. It was not always Jan to Dec.

eg. With Land Rovers :-

Generally KE would be 1985

The 1986 fiscal year - started from Jan. 1986 - so all KF would be 1986 (most probably)

• 2 months later...

I have an RB44 and love it, i have had a 101 and a 2a ambulance and also a step through Commer ambulance.

This is my favourate so far. I also have a light wei:cool2:ght and never thought i would prefer this to a Landrover but it great i would recommend them to anybody.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Any recommendations as where to get RB 44 parts? i'm doing some work on one for a mate and will need a front propshaft.

ta

:cry:

j

There was a new one on ebay recently (search completed listings to see if it sold)

Otherwise xmod might have one - they had some bits like that

yes i managed to get a new crated unit, well pleased.

:nut:

j

A word of caution, I stripped my new prop-shaft to fit the rubber gaiter and found that there was only a very small amount of grease on the splines. This may be the cause of what appears to a high failure rate of the shafts.

Both the new and old props had virtually no grease on them, likewise the U.J.s were virtually dry, despite having grease nipples.

It seems the maintenance on my truck has been rather hit and miss.

The carden unit failed on the front prop i was working on, the cover for the cardens centre grease nipple had never been taken off or greased and as a result the total joint failed, the vehicle had only done 17,000 miles! there was a general lack of grease and oil in all the joints etc. it took a full grease cartridge to fill the props, joints etc.

;)

j

• 1 month later...
The carden unit failed on the front prop i was working on, the cover for the cardens centre grease nipple had never been taken off or greased and as a result the total joint failed, the vehicle had only done 17,000 miles! there was a general lack of grease and oil in all the joints etc. it took a full grease cartridge to fill the props, joints etc.

;)

j

Hi

Where did you need to grease specifically - I'll make sure mine is all done.

PS still looking for a wiring diagram - indicators don't work :cry:

DF

On mine all the UJ's have grease nipples, but some need a narrow nozzle on your grease gun.

The sliding joints on the prop shafts have grease points also.

The wiring is pretty basic, might be worth checking your relays near the steering column, mine had been pinched along with all the fuses:(