Rb44

chevpol

They are open on Saturdays from 8am and will stay open until around 4pm if you are serious about buying a vehicle.

Turn up as early as you can and ask to speak to Graham Hodson. Graham is a top bloke and will go out of his way to help you. Ask to see the RB44's and then ask him if he will let you have a good look round on your own so you have no pressure. They don't like you wondering around because stuff goes missing all the time there. They have plenty of RB44's in stock at the moment and if you are going to buy one, now is the time to buy as they have over 50. Some are in unissued condition and lots have winches. There are a dozen or so with the comms body in stock at the minute and they leave the keys in them, so another reason to look on your own so you can fire them up and see which one you like the sound of. They will let you drive it up and down the yard so you can check the diff locks/hi-low range etc.

If you buy one, make sure you take out any stuff that you want to keep hold of. Ask Graham to supply a full set of CES as this should be supplied with the vehicle, but they have a habit of taking it off and selling it seperate at shows like Beltring and in the tenders. Likewise with any vehicle docs you find in it, as they aren't supposed to supply these with the vehicle.

Happy shopping.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told that the one on show at Beltring was the best example they have. The rest in stock require various degrees of work. Including quite a few that are missing parts.

There wasnt much negotiating in the price. With at best £250 off the £6500+v.a.t asking price. I know there are a minority here that like the vehicle(me included).But i thought the price considerably high for a vehicle that was not well recieved or liked by the armed forces,and had limited scope for export due to the shortage of spares.

I was told that the one on show at Beltring was the best example they have.

Of course you were, they wanted you to take it home! I have seen some that look like they've just been refurbished. Even seen some with the Bowman mod kit still fitted in the cab!

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
I was told that the one on show at Beltring was the best example they have. The rest in stock require various degrees of work. Including quite a few that are missing parts.

There wasnt much negotiating in the price. With at best £250 off the £6500+v.a.t asking price. I know there are a minority here that like the vehicle(me included).But i thought the price considerably high for a vehicle that was not well recieved or liked by the armed forces,and had limited scope for export due to the shortage of spares.

I think you are spot on there Mark,Expensive.Its amazing what this bloke knows about all sorts of things:rofl:

When I was there a few weeks back I looked at those in the yard as I passed them & there were some very nice looking vehicles there .

Looks nice,thats where it ends.Coming up your way soon on a pilgrmage to wales .stopping of at NOS. and a few other members,be carefull you could be our first nights B&B:shake::rofl:

Best muck out the spare room then :-D

More than welcome to call if you find your way out here mate . Be nice to see both of you again .

Cheers give you a PM.:-D

The stuff they take to Beltring is stuff they can't shift I'm affraid. They spray them up so they look good and sell cheap.

You MUST go to their yard and spend the day looking at all the different vehicles (of the same type) you are interested in as some have new engines fitted etc. There are a lot better examples in their yard for sale believe me. A few still have their factory paint with no over painting, indicating these are reserve units. Yes they have their problems, but if you are just using it for shows and not hammering it off road you shouldn't have any problems. The engines are good and they sound great. They go well and also look good. But you pay the price, they are dearer than the Bedfords, but at 7.5 tonnes you haven't got no where near the hassel getting them on the road. Also ask yourself, how many did you see at Beltring? They certainly aren't common

The stuff they take to Beltring is stuff they can't shift I'm affraid. They spray them up so they look good and sell cheap.

You MUST go to their yard and spend the day looking at all the different vehicles (of the same type) you are interested in as some have new engines fitted etc. There are a lot better examples in their yard for sale believe me. A few still have their factory paint with no over painting, indicating these are reserve units. Yes they have their problems, but if you are just using it for shows and not hammering it off road you shouldn't have any problems. The engines are good and they sound great. They go well and also look good. But you pay the price, they are dearer than the Bedfords, but at 7.5 tonnes you haven't got no where near the hassel getting them on the road. Also ask yourself, how many did you see at Beltring? They certainly aren't common

Not surprised they cant shift it at that price. And the only one i saw at Beltring was the one of Withams stand.B.t.w took at visit to my local T.A center during the week. They have a virtually brand new one there. 1000mls on the clock. Hasnt turned a wheel in 3 years.

Not surprised they cant shift it at that price. And the only one i saw at Beltring was the one of Withams stand.B.t.w took at visit to my local T.A center during the week. They have a virtually brand new one there. 1000mls on the clock. Hasnt turned a wheel in 3 years.

That will probably turn up at Withams soon, as the Army seem to be getting rid of them.

Now is the last time we will be able to buy decent vehicles that are easy to work on. All the stuff coming into service now is far to complicated. Imagine buying one of those new MAN cargo trucks? Based on the civvy truck with the same dash etc, these are run by computers.

Track down the MT Sgt at youir local TA go see him armed with a tin of biscuits !! give him your phone number and askl him to ring you when the nice men from Withams come to collect it then you can zoom up to Colsterworth and buy it !!

TED

My friend has just bought one and it has to go to a ministry test station,so be careful... I think they look cool but the army boys hated them,problems with front brakes,I believe. Access to service the engine is not the best,either.

He paid £4000 from Withams,and likes it but had to perform an emergency stop in it and hopes it never has to do it again....

My friend has just bought one and it has to go to a ministry test station,so be careful... I think they look cool but the army boys hated them,problems with front brakes,I believe. Access to service the engine is not the best,either.

He paid £4000 from Withams,and likes it but had to perform an emergency stop in it and hopes it never has to do it again....

Sorry mate but that's not strictly true. The RB44 is plated at 7.5 tonnes so can be driven on a C1 licence. The MOT is Class 7, so ANY commercial vehicle garage that does Class 7 MOT's can test it, as well as VOSA of course.

was that price with or without vat?

Mark