Rb44

chevpol

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done

Sorry for the late reply just got back from W&P by a sheer fluke i managed to park opposite another Boughton never even saw it until parked up.

Lots of interest shown to both.

Ian.

No sweat I had an idea that you might have gone to W & P. With more coming out of service many more RB's will be appearing at shows.

How did Vosa test you're brakes was it on the rollers?

Yes they put mine on the rollers, i thought they would do a road test threw me at first.

Thats mine in the pics 96 KJ 65 with an in service ding left in the wing, i have seen the panthers head on a few vehicles often wondered what unit/group used it.

you can start having fun with the RB44 now.

cheers Ian

Yes they put mine on the rollers, i thought they would do a road test threw me at first.

Thats mine in the pics 96 KJ 65 with an in service ding left in the wing, i have seen the panthers head on a few vehicles often wondered what unit/group used it.

you can start having fun with the RB44 now.

cheers Ian

The reason I wanted to ask about the rollers is that I thought that the vehicle was permanent 4WD. Which mustn't be the case I'm presuming that 4WD comes in when the vehicle is switched to low range? Shows how little that I know about these vehicles.

That ding is alright at least its not as bad as ours makes it look its been used. Ours served with the RAF and even had some bits and pieces from its last exercise in 2008.

I'm going to sort out the registration with the DVLA tomorrow plus buying tax and number plates. The missus wants to drive it at the weekend with a possible first show at Woodvale we'll see.

Just side tracking slightly. But does anyone know if Withams sold there batch of RB44,s at W+P this year??. They were priced slightly cheaper than the one they brought last year.Didnt get round to seeing what they had left sunday night.

I think they sold everything they had except the DROPS and Foden Wrecker.

• 3 months later...

I'm going to bump this old thread since it has the most info in already :D

Does anybody know if the RB44 transfer box also includes a centre diff? The wiki claims this is how windup is prevented in reasonably modern vehicles, but then again knowing the MoD they might have asked Boughton to take it out :nut:

I wouldn't like to damage anything, especially as it's not possible to disengage 4x4 drive. If not we can just bump up on the kerb like Stollies do!

Stone

Fine driving on the road we went to Malvern and back without any problems. Nice and comfy and easy to drive MPG is about 20 to the gallon but they cruise quite happily at 56 mph with or without a load. With a load I thought that the vehicle drove even better no bouncing about.

In the last tender sale on of the podded RB's had four 9 by 9 tent canvases in the pod with one set of poles. That would have been a belter to buy it could have almost paid for itself.

Update to my above: I've now got a copy of AESP 2320-E-200-201 (Oct '90) - there's a bloke selling them on eBay. It's titled 'TRUCK UTILITY HEAVY (T.U.H) 4 x 4, REYNOLDS BOUGHTON ALL VARIANTS' and describes the types: GS Cargo (with or without winch), FFR (Soft Top), FFR (Hard Top) and FFR (TCB Carrier).

I think the TCB Carrier is the one with a pod on the back (the AESP just says

'Provision can be made for TCB fixing to the vehicle.'). The FFRs are supposed to be distinguished by the bracket for an antenna base sticking out of the bonnet, though I strongly suspect bonnets were swapped around to suit. According to the AESP the FFRs should have a manual throttle on the passenger side, an exhaust extension for use under camo nets (thoughtful!) and 'A screened 24V dc electrical system is fitted for radio power supply requirements. Suppression is fitted to the heater and windscreen wiper motors and radio suppression bonding leads are fitted in the rear of the vehicle. 4x12V batteries, an extra 24V alternator and 12V alternator suppression kit are fitted.' The later chapters go on to show that an extra battery isolator and charge indicator are fitted alongside the 24V battery in the side compartment.

The hard top version intrigues me, as I think it would look particularly awesome.

A hard top canopy with a rear entry door is fitted to the vehicle body. The hard top incorporates radio antenna mounts on the roof. A radio table and an additional radio operator's seat are provided inside the canopy. Four radio batteries are housed in the forward storage area which replaces the standard dropside.

Have Withams got any of these still? Seem to be very scarce from the lack of pics!

Stone

Edited by Stone

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just Brought the RB44 that was on Eblag last week.

has come back from kuwiat with sand and bullet holes and has only done 4300miles.

I need some cab bits, winch, radio body, tyres, info, manuals.

Can anyone help Please?

I have driven this down the road and it drives great, so anyone thinking of getting one don't be put off by rubbish remours!

After all it's a 5 ton truck not a rally car.

• 6 months later...

I have had an enquiry from a friend overseas who wants to buy a RB44, but due to import regulations needs to buy an early one, ie 1989. Apparantly, the first ones were built in 1989 and those being disposed of through Withams at present are 1991-2. Can anyone say for sure when they were built for the army and how they can be dated? I know the military data plate does not show year of manufacture.