The "friendly forum"

Great War truck

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Not Russian old cock, they're Czech.

Thats the trouble with this stuff main reason why not attracted to it,its a copy of a copy of a copy.

Got lots more pics but if i show them someone might guess where it is,then i will be in serious trouble with my host.

Later on when we have finished our project maybe,And its not about vehicles.

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)

Cor!

No hassle from me mate. You don't need it.

Interesting point though about the copying. Fair enough. I just like the potty aesthetics of eastern european kit. Being a mechanical numpty, the engineering is a mystery.

Been meaning to ask, has Paris done the ironing yet?

M

Thats the trouble with this stuff main reason why not attracted to it,its a copy of a copy of a copy.

Got lots more pics but if i show them someone might guess where it is,then i will be in serious trouble with my host.

Later on when we have finished our project maybe,And its not about vehicles.

Stupid thing is - the Cech "copies" are usually better quality than the Russian originals!!

Great replies folks and yes HMVF has a great culture, it is a great place to be.

I often sit back and try and work out how this has all come together so well and it really is a whole combination of factors – there is no one magic ingredient.

Like many, I have seen forums implode through ill management and hidden agendas. We don’t have this here.

One of the key components here are the moderating team, we all be together pretty much since the beginning and we have a great bond between us. We talk most days, on the phone, Skype, emails, text and PM’s and most of all we are friends. This leads to stability and consistency with management of the forum. Yes some of the team come under fire for their decisions but everything single decision is discussed at length and the buck stops with me. The whole team are made up of different characters and the staff room can get a bit heated at times – when Snapper returns to planet earth he tends to have a more out of space views on things so helps bring a different angle to the table! So the forum and running of it is in safe hands and they are here to be of service and I can’t thank them enough for that.

It has always been important to me to get the culture right here. So many forums are aggressive and lack manners and I wonder why people would go to hassle of running them.

I have always shunned the saying ‘…oh you have to earn respect’ I believe that everyone should be respected from the get go – it is then up to them if they want to screw that respect up. I think we have got that right here – everyone is respected from the start, why wouldn’t they be?! No matter what group/trust/association you belong in any hobby they all seem to be the same. There is aggression and arrogance and rudeness and a sense of supremacy. This is all ego driven and egos of this size usually consume their hosts. Everyone is welcome here and more importantly made to feel welcome by everyone.

HMVF seems to of attracted the right sort and like minded person and it helps keep the forum what it is.

Here is what impress’s me with HMVF and you have heard me say it before and that’s its members. Just look at some of the facts. We have here some of the best brains in the hobby. And we have some numpties too (me). We have young and old. We have wealth folks and not so wealthy folks (me). We have people can write and some that can’t (me)…

Now here is the point – none of the above matters to anyone here, we are all the same and everyone is treated the same. Full stop. There is no snobbery and elitism – those who are of that mind soon disappear from here. The seniors look after the juniors and the juniors look after the seniors by keeping their brains working by asking for their advice. To me knowledge isn’t knowledge unless it is shared.

Look at Younguns project – he could quite easily be intimidated by the knowledge around him but he isn’t and he knows his stuff and everyone around him is helping him. The help here is enormous. Sirhc knowledge is massive and again willing the to share with all and they are many here like these guys and they are the ‘seniors’ in the making.

Massive restorations have been undertaken by members of the years and so willing to share there work. From GWT trucks to tanks to Stalwarts to radios to a man truck. This is all a massive and important archive for the world to see. And here is another point that should be remembered – no one here is frightened to screw up and to make mistakes publically. People are only willing to do that if they feel safe to do so – safe from being patronised, safe from ridicule, safe in the company of friends.

Forums are strange things as you make relationships that you wouldn’t ever do without them. The crazy thing is that we all know each other before we have even meet. This is one example of how HMVF has changed the hobby and it is very powerful as the more people you meet the better your life becomes. I have met some many wonderful people from here and continue to do so. You ask for help and you get help! Folks here are so kind – I have never seen this level of friendships and bonds made on any other forums. I don’t think I have seen any cries for help go un answered – see GTW for French magazines.

The Clubhouse is now a legend and it works, it is this sort of stupidity that I like as it makes me laugh. We don’t always get it right of course and when we do stuff up we say sorry. We always ask for feedback and act upon it.

The bottom line is that we all admire what everyone does and respect the reasons why they do it. We all like green machines and we all like the diversity that every member brings to HMVF. I have to note it again how the NVA campaign has touch me with what people here are doing. It is something that I most proud of with HMVF and shows the true character of people here.

As always – HMVF is only as good as its members. Lets keep improving.

Jack, I'm sure we would all like to say thanks to you all the HMVF moderating team for many hours of work behind the scenes, well done chaps. :clap:

Hear Hear, I have been holding back on commenting, but I feel happy here. this is the first place I look when I log on. this forum makes my day, it brings a smile to my face :)

I have also gotten new interests from this forum, mainly the photographing of war graves, something I would never of thought of before!!!

Anyway, three cheers for the Team,

Hip Hip, Hooray

Hip, Hip, Hooray

Hip Hip, Hooray

:yay::yay::yay:

Mark :cool:

PS. looking forward to putting faces to names at :-

Stoneleigh

Bunker Bash

War and Peace

Edited by chevpol

I have also gotten new interests from this forum, mainly the photographing of war graves, something I would never of thought of before!!!

Will agree to that. Starting to be attracted to WW1 history and that is done to GTW, Snapper and the Grimmer. Everything has a story to tell if we are willing to listen.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Cor!Been meaning to ask, has Paris done the ironing yet?M

She has but flippin useless,had the iron to hot now we all have crutchless knickers.Yet to find out what she is good at.:rofl:

• 4 years later...

I started this thread a few years ago. I was thinking about several recent posts and noticed an upturn in agression or sarcasm. In addition within the MVT i had observed some similar behaviour with some members. At shows i have been on the receiving end of some naked agression (and not in a good way) from ill mannered people. I was wondering in the light of all this does HMVF still qualify as being "The friendly forum"? If not, what has changed? Has the hobby become a little bit less friendly.

Discuss!

And if anybody really disagrees with this then i will see you outside in the club car park in 5 minutes for a game of fisticuffs.

I haven't noticed it to be honest, however, the larger the membership, the higher the probability that some members will be 'off'. It takes all sorts..... and some sorts are not very nice to be around :angel:

Must add that Jacks personal body guards run a tight ship, most rude or offensive posts are not up for very long.

Edited by ajmac

The Forum is not the MVT, we are still all friends here. The senior members will remember the MVT you must be joking post war thread, In recent years with new blood thing have changed but there will always be some dinosaurs out there.

Edited by Marmite!!

I started this thread a few years ago. I was thinking about several recent posts and noticed an upturn in agression or sarcasm. In addition within the MVT i had observed some similar behaviour with some members. At shows i have been on the receiving end of some naked agression (and not in a good way) from ill mannered people. I was wondering in the light of all this does HMVF still qualify as being "The friendly forum"? If not, what has changed? Has the hobby become a little bit less friendly.

Discuss!

And if anybody really disagrees with this then i will see you outside in the club car park in 5 minutes for a game of fisticuffs.

Mr Grumpy here has his moments and yes its cabin fever even though I'm out in all weathers. Must talk to the missus more