The "friendly forum"

Great War truck

Just out of curiosity, who selected the description "The friendly forum". I had not really thought about it before, but occasionally having posted on other forums i am stunned at the amount of flaming, naked agression and abuse that goes on in them. This seems to be (almost) totally absent from this forum, so what makes us all different?

I have met several members of this forum and would certainly have enjoyed a pint (if Jack paid) with all of them. On another military forum (the name of which i wont mention) i would think a pub meet would decend into a particularly unpleasant pub brawl with glasses and chairs being hurled across the room. So what is it that makes us different? We all have our particular field of interests, but saying that i would still talk about Landrovers, MTB's, Nimrods or even trucks from WW1 with anybody from this forum and can't imagine that anbody would be inclined to hit me with a brick in return. Are we all particularly broad minded, or is that we dont want to upset someone as that person might be the only person who has a stock of a certain type of vehicle part that we might one day need?

Just curious (and if anybody wants to throw a brick at me i will be at Stoneleigh with a red carnation in my buttonhole and a full set of body armour).

Tim (too)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think most would agree with you Tim... trouble with a lot of other forums is anything goes.

No Politics, Religion or Sport goes a long way to keeping this place sane... you can get all that down the pub & end up rolling around the floor with your pals after a few jars.. there's a few who would like us to have all that but we (HMVF) are sticking to our guns, no place for it here.

Members are here for a reason & not to just spout off about stuff, most of the members who join up read the forum for a few weeks before joining so once a member they know what the place is all about & have good input right from the start..

Actually it's the Dutch blokes here that manage to keep the peace, never noticed our blue helmets during shows? We are on the UNPROHMVFFOR mission.

Yep, just take a look at my car.

It's parked outside the clubhouse regularly to keep the peace...

Beltring2006012Small.jpg

I ll chalk it up to the Mods being quick to take issues when needed , and the General agreement that We are all in this together and need each other to get the answers we need , other groups may have too many type "A" personalities perhaps ?

Are you suggesting there are a load of B's on the forum then? :-D

One's enough TB!

I think being grown up is a wonderful facet about this. I also think the root of it is in the mutual respect. There are people who post stuff that does not necessarily interest me, as I am sure some of my waffle does the same. But I admire the knowledge, passion and spirit of the people who make the effort to post up their life and work on here and I support it all wholeheartedly. I think we can all take credit for the atmosphere in the clubhouse. It is good to congratulate ourselves occasionally and then carry on regardless. The key is there are no Big Heads - just Big Hearts.

I think a lot of it is we all have a common interest but unlike a lot of forums, I'm thinking historic aviation in particular, we all participate. Ok, not all of us have vehicles though most do and there is a distinct lack of wannabees here.

We're all in it together. I certainly feel I have a lot of friends here, many of whom I have yet to meet!

It's my favourite forum and I thank Jack for it.

We're all in it together. I certainly feel I have a lot of friends here, many of whom I have yet to meet!

It's my favourite forum and I thank Jack for it.

I think this has a lot to do with it, if we don't already know them, we all have a pretty good chance of meeting fellow members face to face at events and shows.

Before joining HMVF I was getting a little bored with the show scene, my main interest being just owning an Explorer, this forum has re-kindled and widened my interests.

As others have said it's all down to Jacks influence, the welcomes I got when I joined were so friendly and silly it took me by surprise. :-D

Its the likeminded, slightly nutty members who share a common hobby without feeling the need to snipe, wine or being obnoxious because the other has a bigger one.:shake: (in more than 1 sense...)

Also because everyone knows what its like to own or work on these vehicles, whether we actually own one isn't nessecary.

For me its a extra bonus to meet up at Beltring with people I met on the forum.

And 1 thing I never seen in another forum.

The whole clubhouse thing!

Glad I joined the forum when Jack invited me when he just started it.

Grouphug. :hug: