The "friendly forum"

Great War truck

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Tim's right when he says there has been an increase in a few over the top comments but as has also been said the forum is very large now and that is bound to have an effect. Having said that I don't believe that it is anything that Jack and The Henchmen can't keep a lid on. It can't do any harm for Tim to have highlighted this, a little reminder can only be a good thing.

The Forum is not the MVT, we are still all friends here. The senior members will remember the MVT you must be joking post war thread, In recent years with new blood thing have changed but there will always be some dinosaurs out there.

You will have to expand on that it has passed me by...

Just out of curiosity, who selected the description "The friendly forum". I had not really thought about it before, but occasionally having posted on other forums i am stunned at the amount of flaming, naked agression and abuse that goes on in them. This seems to be (almost) totally absent from this forum, so what makes us all different?

I have met several members of this forum and would certainly have enjoyed a pint (if Jack paid) with all of them. On another military forum (the name of which i wont mention) i would think a pub meet would decend into a particularly unpleasant pub brawl with glasses and chairs being hurled across the room. So what is it that makes us different? We all have our particular field of interests, but saying that i would still talk about Landrovers, MTB's, Nimrods or even trucks from WW1 with anybody from this forum and can't imagine that anbody would be inclined to hit me with a brick in return. Are we all particularly broad minded, or is that we dont want to upset someone as that person might be the only person who has a stock of a certain type of vehicle part that we might one day need?

Just curious (and if anybody wants to throw a brick at me i will be at Stoneleigh with a red carnation in my buttonhole and a full set of body armour).

Tim (too)

I suppose that a major criteria is the desire to glean knowledge, and share knowledge, you are not likely to gain anything by being aggressive in your manner. And I suspect that if you are going to get involved in the world of restoration a pre requisite surely must be a mild manner coupled with a large degree of patience. I have met, and continue to meet some wonderful people in this hobby that I am now happy to call my very good friends. They have certainly enriched my life, long may they continue to do so.

I would say this is still a very friendly Forum, since we have got rid of certain members over the last few years there is very little moderating for the team to do & we very rarely have to pull members on their behavior towards fellow members.

I would say this is still a very friendly Forum, since we have got rid of certain members over the last few years there is very little moderating for the team to do & we very rarely have to pull members on their behavior towards fellow members.

Totally agree with that. Still a good place to be and as Lee said - we have asked certain members to leave because of their negative effect. Folks to reply nicely to new members introductions and people still poke fun out of each other. Situation normal.

We all love you Tim!

Oh come on, we have had some damm good rows on the forum! :D But they are intillegent discussions, everyone backs thier side with well thought out arguments and listens to the other side. The other thing is the amount of help given by people to others. The forum has saved me a lot of trouble , particullay Richard and Degsey, by giving sound advice. And it carries on into the real world, events like Bunker Bash are great fun, well managed and genuinley nice to attend.

I am very new and initially looked to the forum for advice; which arrived like a torrent.

I have only been to one specific MV event (War and Peace 2012) with my sone who is kinda challenged.

We were overwhelmed by how nice people were to us. In fact people made an effort to be nice.

A genuine pleasure.

Many thanks to you all

Edited by alixcompo
poor gramma

i havent got a problem with the forum or any members we are all friends here ! the only problem i have is why i get nominated for guard duty at the clubhouse when the weather outside is - below freezing ! :shake:

That's an easy one to answer - as is the way in Progressive forces it is just dedovshchina in play (literally "grandfather rights")!! When you get to be be one of the "old and bold" you will get to stay in the warm club house and send the new recruits out on the freezing stags!!!

Mr Grumpy here has his moments and yes its cabin fever even though I'm out in all weathers. Must talk to the missus more

Oh yeah - do this:

bracket_painting.jpg

And you'll find that all the talking tends to be one way only........ :wow:

I love this place! I feel welcomed in here all the time and accepted too! (put up with, some might say!!!!). I'm not at all technical but have said on many occasions that I appreciate all the love and hard work that goes into looking after the vehicles and equipment that goes with this hobby. Our 2 children have learnt so much about the history and they have a passion for cars (ok at the moment its anything that goes 250mph noisily!!!).

I've met several people from here and each and everyone of you has been lovely! I mean at one stage many of you helped me in one of my essays for uni!!!!! Thanks guys :kiss::kiss::kiss:

One day I want my own MV and I know I will get help and advice here if I need it :-):-):-):-)

Group hug everyone

((((((HMVF FAMLY)))))

but the biggest and tightest squeezes go to Jack, Joris and Lee who I know work blimmin hard.:kiss::kiss::kiss: