Home Comforts

Markheliops

Hi all.

I have been lucky enough to find and purchase a WWII Ben Hur trailer. I have been looking for one as owning a wrecker leaves me with little room to carry all but the bare essentials for a weekend or longer in the field.

I was also lucky enough to find a rather reasonably priced generator at the Lingfield show so I am off the starting blocks.

I have the new tent which I brought from Lee and his crew, generator and now I am looking for other mod cons to make my life easier when away.

First on the shopping list is a fridge (fed up with throwing milk away). Needs to be 3 source powered (gas, electric or 12V). I have been scouring the internet but the selection is vast so do any members have personal experience of a fridge they can suggest.

Next will be a microwave - cos I'm pants at cooking and it will be a cheaper option than getting hitched.

Lastly, I really can't be a--ed to get up at 0500 to grab a shower at Beltring any more. I want to have my own shower. After talking with various people, I have been hearing some excellent suggestions on how to rig up a shower unit without much cost and hassle.

Any ideas on any of the above or other ideas greatfully received.

Ta

Markheliops

My word Mark, you are going to town. I notice that there are no questions about sleeping comforts, guess that must all be sorted........trying to make the Turret Totty more at home are we?????

mmm TD may be a few pink cutions and curtains would be more mmm relaxing ?? :yay::rofl:

The shower can be made from a 20 litre plastic drum, fill with warm warter. Use a 12 volt portable bilge pump, or even an old screen wash pump if your feeling really tight, hose pipe and watering can rose. Et Viola! If you want to go self heating there are 12 volt travel kettle elements about. Trouble with those for 20 litres need a lot of amps for a long time. Mind you, in your case series two and get 24 volt

I built one for cold water to wash down hot horses at events. The original screen washer pump had to be mounted high to be any use, and liked thin tube making a spray difficult. The bilge pump was a lot more powerful, and fitted the standard hose pipe direct. Would empty the 20 litres in about two minutes.

As for cooking use, boil in the bag, at the same time your heating the shower.

Lastly, I really can't be a--ed to get up at 0500 to grab a shower at Beltring any more. I want to have my own shower. After talking with various people, I have been hearing some excellent suggestions on how to rig up a shower unit without much cost and hassle.

If you want something original I guess you'd get yourself one of these. http://www.forsvarsbrukt.no/shopexd.asp?id=616

Might be post war for all I know.

Marty

Mark, usually plenty of ex caravan 3 way fridges on Ebay,

I have had a 3-way fridge box for a few years, as opposed to a fridge that is fitted into the furniture of a caravan. Last year it started playing up, then at W&P it packed up halfway through & I was using runny butter & warm beer. Most of them are 40 or 42 litre, I wanted one as small as possible as its only for butter & beer, the smallest that runs off gas is 35 litres.

There seems to only one supplier that has 35 litre ones. If you buy direct from the supplier the carriage is £20! However they also sell them on ebay where carriage is £9.99. Every week they seem to release 4 fridges on to ebay. One is for £149.99 on a buy it now but another 3 are listed 3, 2 & 1 day finishes with a starting price of £99.99.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-3-Way-Fridge-12V-240V-Gas-Camping-Fridge-35Ltr_W0QQitemZ270262001208QQihZ017QQcategoryZ19296QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

They then seem to run to £125-135. The panic element is thinking there are only 4 available, but each week another 4 appear. Mine has just arrived & works well on mains & gas. I never use the 12v, apart from all my MVs being 24v, I think the drain at 12v is 7amps. The night before I cool it down with a mains lead & then when I get to the show go to gas.

I know you can buy second hand & there are no doubt bargains to be had. But with gas, fumes & a burning flame I wanted the reliability of something new. At W&P I wasted a morning repairing the thing & pratting around inside is not a good idea if you are not a service engineer. Having got it going I seemed to have a flame a little larger than it should be & a build up of gas caused a small fire to start in the 9x9. So that would have been a false economy.

I have one of these fridges. I run it on gas and it keeps stuff nice and cold. I'ts even got a little tray to make ice.:)

Shower wise I used to use the solar shower bags but without much sun there not ideal. This year I bought a small electric shower. Runs on batteries or 12volt, bucket of warm water and your away. pumps a decent amount of water too. aaaaandsome. I use it in an outhouse tent but I'm pretty sure you could just knock something up with some poles and a bit of tarp.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

I have a 3way,absorbtion fridge ,i would say there ok the longer they run the better.You really need a compressor type as per overlander /expedition.you wont like the price,they use a lot of power,but put the absorbtion to shame,we have gone back to using the norwegian boxes with a bag of ice for any shows of a couple of days or less.less agro,there is normally some ice left when we tip it out.

I bought an old fridge that came out of a camper van for £20 of e-bay.More than does the job,also bought a shower from some guy in the states.Runs on 4 D cell batterys.Its domne two Beltrings now,and been used twice a day for the six days i have been there,and still on the original batterys.

I have had a 3-way fridge box for a few years, as opposed to a fridge that is fitted into the furniture of a caravan. Last year it started playing up, then at W&P it packed up halfway through & I was using runny butter & warm beer. Most of them are 40 or 42 litre, I wanted one as small as possible as its only for butter & beer, the smallest that runs off gas is 35 litres.

There seems to only one supplier that has 35 litre ones. If you buy direct from the supplier the carriage is £20! However they also sell them on ebay where carriage is £9.99. Every week they seem to release 4 fridges on to ebay. One is for £149.99 on a buy it now but another 3 are listed 3, 2 & 1 day finishes with a starting price of £99.99.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-3-Way-Fridge-12V-240V-Gas-Camping-Fridge-35Ltr_W0QQitemZ270262001208QQihZ017QQcategoryZ19296QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

They then seem to run to £125-135. The panic element is thinking there are only 4 available, but each week another 4 appear. Mine has just arrived & works well on mains & gas. I never use the 12v, apart from all my MVs being 24v, I think the drain at 12v is 7amps. The night before I cool it down with a mains lead & then when I get to the show go to gas.

I know you can buy second hand & there are no doubt bargains to be had. But with gas, fumes & a burning flame I wanted the reliability of something new. At W&P I wasted a morning repairing the thing & pratting around inside is not a good idea if you are not a service engineer. Having got it going I seemed to have a flame a little larger than it should be & a build up of gas caused a small fire to start in the 9x9. So that would have been a false economy.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I have looked at these Chris - they seem to be good value for money. Let me know how you get on with yours.

Ta

Markheliops

They then seem to run to £125-135. The panic element is thinking there are only 4 available, but each week another 4 appear.

I love that with Ebay. My wife buys crafting kit. She has a handful of favourite shops. When she needs something, she goes away and orders at the rock-bottom price. Then toward the end of the auction, she always gets outbid. Because we don't bid again, we don't win, but the following day Ebay always invites us to Buy-It-Now at the original price.

I would love to know who thinks he is being clever by outbidding us every time.

You need to Simon Stollys TM Palace. Hot and cold running everything with carpet. :shocked: This year he fitted a shower tray in the back and warmed water on the stove. His cheap ebay shower packed up after the first use but a caravan pump worked well as a second choice. I just use a solar shower. quick and cheap oh and a unimog to hang it off.

Y'know - I can't help thinking it would have simpler to have hung a caravan on the back of the Ward having first painted it green..... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That may just be the best idea.

Or convert a Ben Hur into a folding caravan?

I bought a Waeco 45L fridge one Sat night on ebay after consuming too much vino. Damn good purchase despite being nearly £400, will run for best part of a week on a leisure battery no matter what the ambient temperature. Holds vast amounts of beer at 3deg along with a bit of grub!

Lidl over here were knocking out porta potti's for E40 a few weeks back, got one for those ocaissions where the previous nights curry gives you 30 seconds warning and it's a long trek to the nearest turdis!